Are BS members about to get younger?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Younger than who?? As some of us "old geezzers" here hardly any new members are older than some of us are. But it is maybe time for a changing of the guard. Seriously I get it about the debate of 18 yr old or 21yr old being the legal age to purchase and own firearms /ammo . Back in the day at the age of 18 i was allowed to join the US Army and go off overseas to serve in a "hostile fire zone"(Korean DMZ 1969-1970) while being shot at by small arms harasment fire but were not allowed to purchase legal cigaretts / booze / etc. upon return to the states .. In 1982 as a local police officer several of us had to go purchase practice ammo for another active duty officer because he was not 21 yrs old and could not legally purchase it himself. Old enough to serve and put our lives on the line but not able to be considered old enough to do certain activities. Sorry if I went off on a tangent and not trying to hijack the intent of the thread. There are some of legal ? age and or older that should not allowed to purchase / own firearms / ammo but that is another matter. ........... drill sgt.

I get it man. 9/11/2001, I was 17yrs old and had just graduated Navy bootcamp. ( You can enlist nowadays at 17 with parental consent.) Once I got past my A-School i was pretty much thrown to the wolves. But I couldn't buy a damn beer... Good thing I had some really cool senior enlisted personnel. lol...

This above, has ALWAYS bothered me.

How can anyone in their right mind think that the horrors of war at 18 are less harmful than drinking at 18? Ever!

Xenon

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Metairie
    Constitutional Right versus Privilege.
    Agreed

1984 - The National Minimum Drinking Age Act passed, raising drinking age to 21 as a condition of receiving annual federal highway funds

1987 - Louisiana finally follows suit (last state to do so) for purposes of purchasing. A state loophole still allowed for legal public consumption. i.e. someone else could buy it and hand it to you while remaining completely legal.

1995 - Consumption loophole closed

March 1996 - LA Supreme Court ruled (4 - 3) that 21 yo drinking age was unconstitutional age discrimination since you are legally an adult at age 18

July 1996 - the court reversed its decision (5 - 2) after threats of a removal of Fed highway funds ($17M at the time), pressure from AG Ieyoub, several changes to the court's roster, and a spike in drunk-driving deaths

You can still enter a bar at age 18 but cannot publicly consume (without a legal guardian.)

Top Bottom