Are you WRAPPING YOUR PIPE

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • S&W4ME

I'm kind of a big deal
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Walker, LA
    Always best to use latex when wrapping the pipe

Trojan_Extended_Pleas_LRG.jpg

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Extended pleasure... why would you wanna delay the best part? It is a race, if I finish before her guess what, I STILL WIN!

I've got a lamp where my pipe goes into my house, and i believe we have a lamp in our pump shed too. Gonna disconnect my water hose and the hose going to the cattle trough for the night.

PrairieCajun

Ima let dat pass dis time
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 4, 2010
    B.R.(da hood), LA
    I always thought letting a couple faucets run slightly did the trick? Is that only true with well systems?

If you have an exposed riser where your water source comes in the house, you need to wrap it and let a faucet trickle tonight. We should be 4-7 hours at or below 26 degrees which is sufficient to freeze piping. Letting it run does 2 things. One, it takes longer to freeze moving water and two, if it does freeze (even while running) allows the water in the pipe to expand without bursting the pipe. If you have a well, your well might run all night depending on how hard you let the water run (which uses elec).

headshot

Mentally Hilarious
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Gonzales LA
    My pipe got hard as a brick and ended up bursting last year. It was quite messy.

I found out the hard way that you can insulate your pipes all you want, but if you have a well, you need to protect the tubing to the pressure switch. Once that freezes up, you can count on some busted pipes.

PrairieCajun

Ima let dat pass dis time
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 4, 2010
    B.R.(da hood), LA
    My pipe got hard as a brick and ended up bursting last year. It was quite messy.

I found out the hard way that you can insulate your pipes all you want, but if you have a well, you need to protect the tubing to the pressure switch. Once that freezes up, you can count on some busted pipes.

I work for a water utility, so my private well knowledge is limited. Would a single incandescent light bulb in the well shack be enough to take care of things in our area with these kind of temps?? I have friends who are in the area that are outside of public water system areas and may need advice.

headshot

Mentally Hilarious
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Gonzales LA
    I think so, but my well is exposed. The only way I could thaw it out is to put one of those electric outdoor lamps next to it, then cover it w/ a towel.

Snookie

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    May 24, 2009
    Lizzard Creek/ Springfield,La.
    I work for a water utility, so my private well knowledge is limited. Would a single incandescent light bulb in the well shack be enough to take care of things in our area with these kind of temps?? I have friends who are in the area that are outside of public water system areas and may need advice.

My pump shed is enclosed I made it to look like an old time Out House.
    When I built my house I ran extra electricity so I could heat the pump shed. I use a milk house electric heater with a thermostat. The heater keeps the 4x6x6 shed at approx 38-40 degrees at freezing we'll see how it does tonight!

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Gonzales
    My pump shed is enclosed I made it to look like an old time Out House.
    When I built my house I ran extra electricity so I could heat the pump shed. I use a milk house electric heater with a thermostat. The heater keeps the 4x6x6 shed at approx 38-40 degrees at freezing we'll see how it does tonight!

Same here Snookie..

2pc-snow-bunny-costume-sale-3575-p.jpg

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    We just added insulation to the attic. I didn't wrap the pipes up there though. Before the attic stayed pretty warm. I don't know about now...

gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    It appears that the temps last night only reached 30! See yesterday's weather.

This morning when I shut off my faucets outside, I thought it didn't get as cold as predicted. Usually the grass around the faucets is coated with ice, but they were clear this morning. Other spots lacked ice too.

On a side note: I don't wrap my pipes.
    Danielle does! :D

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Sometimes I really wonder about my brother snookie!!! Not sure if this dude is white, black, Asian or what??????

For some odd reasson I imagine Snookie white as snow, with glasses, drives a Truck, owns a decent size brick home in a good neighborhood, and if you asked his neighbor he is a great citizen, IF HE ONLY KNEW hahahahahhahahaha

this forum wouldn't be the same without snooks though, thts for sure and I have to admit when I read wrapping pipes with his name on it it had to be about condoms LOL

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    On a serious note- they fumbled the forecast last night, but it won't happen tonight....It's gonna be a cold mo-fo. Lower 20's for most of us.... If freezing pipes are an issue, head off the problem before it happens. It's gonna be below freezing for up to 13 hours tonight....

I'm damn sure glad I winterized my camp before I left last weekend.....:eek3:

gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    I had the pleasure of meeting Snookie (outside Hooters, of course!) some time ago for an ammo trade. I can't shed any light on the mystery posed by Guate though. Snooks was in one of his smaller limos, and one of his biatches did the exchange through a slightly-open window. The MAN remained concealed within.

I can however say that the picture below, which is being widely circulated on the tinfoil-hat, anti-Snookie, "Area 70462" conspiracy websites, is NOT Snookie, nor even one of his rides, despite the BSC bumper sticker.

Last edited:

tunatuk

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ascension Parish
    I try to remember to wrap the pipe every time...but sometimes its hard to remember. Especially when you already have a warm and moist heater around it!

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Good2go504
    Top Bottom