As IF We Didn't Have Enough Problems To Deal With

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    Police: Officer Baited In Altercation That Injured Him
    Public Safety Director: Staged Fight 'Totally Inappropriate'

INDIANAPOLIS -- Relations between the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department and some members of the African-American community are still a sore spot in the weeks since the Brandon Johnson incident.

Case in point -- an altercation in which an officer was injured during a presentation to a youth symposium last weekend that officials said was staged, leading to the suspension of a parks manager and animosity among officers, 6News' Jack Rinehart reported.

Sgt. Matthew Grimes was asked to give a presentation to a church audience on July 24 at Municipal Gardens, in the 1800 block of Lafayette Road.

During the presentation, an altercation broke out in the crowd, and Grimes intervened. The officer was thrown to the ground and drew his Taser, ready to stun one of the people involved, police said.

At that point, someone stepped in and told the officer that the incident had been concocted to test the reaction of the officer to the situation, police said. Grimes suffered severe back spasms after the incident and was taken to Methodist Hospital for treatment.

James Harrington, pastor of the Mt. Vernon Missionary Baptist Church, said he set up the scenario to test a white officer's reaction to a fight between two black men.

"Their job is to protect and serve, and even though they have families and children, that they don't put any regard to their safety," Harrington said. "I don't think it was dangerous because it was in a controlled environment."

Harrington denied that the officer was injured.

"We are trying to do anything that we can to save the lives of our children," he said. "We have to have live demonstrations of violence carried on by professional actors who are trained to do what they do."

Willard Gupton, a park manager who police said had advance knowledge of the plan, was suspended in the wake of the incident.

"I can basically say we didn't do anything wrong," Gupton said Friday evening. "It was simply just trying to make a teachable moment, to try and teach young people about violence."

Details of the altercation incensed Marion County Public Safety Director Frank Straub, who called the ordeal disturbing and disappointing, indicating that a few activists are trying to bait officers.

"Totally inappropriate … and it's reflective of a very small group of people that won't engage in constructive conversations but want to keep this rhetoric going," Straub said. "We are wrong as a city to allow a single incident to define the city or define the police department."

Straub said Saturday's incident wasn't the only indication that some people are intentionally stirring the pot. There have been multiple incidents of officers being fired upon in recent weeks, he said.

"Stop, act like adults now. You made your point. We got it. We're moving forward, and we're going to make fundamental changes that will make this a better police department," he said. "That was insulting. It was incredibly disrespectful. Somebody got hurt unnecessarily, and more people could have gotten hurt."

The incident further strains a tenuous dynamic in the community, engendering distrust between officers and the community.

"Whoever planned this thing was not thinking. It was stupid and ill-conceived," said Sgt. William Owensby, president of the Fraternal Order of Police. "Whoever is behind this should be charged criminally with felony battery on a police officer."

Straub said that he's committed to improving officer response to tense situations but that others have to be willing to help.

"A very small segment of the community has to say, 'OK, they got it, they listened to us. They've been respectful,'" Straub said. "We need to work with the police department to continue to move the ball forward."

Mayor Greg Ballard weighed in on the issue Friday evening.

"It looks like poor judgment initially, but I will have to see. I just don't know until I get all the angles," Ballard said.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    The only person they will likely hold accountable will be the park guy already disciplined, and the officer will probably have to sue the city over medical retirement because the pastor and church will get a pass. Disgusting.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    And people wonder why police act the way they do around people.

Next time you get "disrepected" or the cop "over-reacts", of these jackholes.

Just because someone else was a jackhole does not mean I should be treated like a jackhole, not that a cop has ever treated me like a jackhole, just sayin.

Everyone of these jackholes should go to jail, the cops should have moved in and arrested the whole lot and sorted it out later.

sraiford

Pro Castle Law
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    Baton Rouge and Mobile
    Use statistics and map where all the false reports and where baiting occurs. Don't respond to a single call unless there are 3 officers and a supervisor. This will delay every call out and just explain to the community that its to protect the protectors from the statistical baiters of the city. Maybe then the city will turn on the ones within.....doubt it though.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    The behavior of the terminally stupid never disappoints.:rolleyes:

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    And people wonder why police act the way they do around people.

Next time you get "disrepected" or the cop "over-reacts", <think> of these jackholes.

Just because someone else was a jackhole does not mean I should be treated like a jackhole, not that a cop has ever treated me like a jackhole, just sayin.

Everyone of these jackholes should go to jail, the cops should have moved in and arrested the whole lot and sorted it out later.

kcinnick you're absolutely correct however until Robocop hits the street, we have human beings in that role, most of whom I think do their best to discern between people like you and me, and the people in this incident. However, I am not so naive that I don't believe that a certain amount of conditioning does not come along with the LE experience. It's as simple as understanding the concept of a toddler learning not to touch a hot stove a second time. Once or twice and any LEO will most likely be on guard against this type of thing.

I really have a hard time believing you really don't understand what Brannon meant. just sayin.

Det.Blair

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Plaquemine, La.
    I am wondering if all hell would have broke lose with the officer tasing some of them or getting real physical to subdue them I wonder what their response would be to that. Let me guess"POLICE BRUTALITY, EXCESSIVE FORCE, RACIALLY MOTIVATED" Could anybody think of anything else it could be.

tactical723

3 Gun / F Class Player
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Northshore - Covington, LA
    Here we go again, political correctness, liberal trial attorneys, liberal politicians, and the liberal votes by our Justices many years ago have gotten us to this, US going down the tubes, farther away from our constitution, imagine if this prank was tried in the Regan years, they would all go to jail for criminal mischief, immediately , people are now scared to react to anything in fear of political correctness, say 1 bad thing about the Obama admn, and lack of intelligent decision making and you are labled a racist, my answer to everyone who trys to dispute me on this fact, is fine, get rid of Obama and I will replace him with Condoleezza Rice right now, racist, I think not !!

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Here we go again, political correctness, liberal trial attorneys, liberal politicians, and the liberal votes by our Justices many years ago have gotten us to this, US going down the tubes, farther away from our constitution, imagine if this prank was tried in the Regan years, they would all go to jail for criminal mischief, immediately , people are now scared to react to anything in fear of political correctness, say 1 bad thing about the Obama admn, and lack of intelligent decision making and you are labled a racist, my answer to everyone who trys to dispute me on this fact, is fine, get rid of Obama and I will replace him with Condoleezza Rice right now, racist, I think not !!

I get your point but would respectfully point out that, especially of late, there have been MANY decisions from SCOTUS, from a conservative bent, that have gotten us "farther away from the Constitution" imo.

Just sayin is all.

The 9 Penguins of the Potomoc have done their fair share of liberty smashing from BOTH sides of the isle.

tactical723

3 Gun / F Class Player
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Northshore - Covington, LA
    I totally agree, it's just their decisions are landing on the liberal side of things. Nobody wants to offend or step over the political correctness movement. It's time to stop making decisions on mere outcome that it will offend. Time to take back the ole USA as in the 50's, take no prisoners in our combat conflicts, and elect people who will vote on common sense. Also we need to regulate trial attorneys and impose serious tort reform.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Use statistics and map where all the false reports and where baiting occurs. Don't respond to a single call unless there are 3 officers and a supervisor. This will delay every call out and just explain to the community that its to protect the protectors from the statistical baiters of the city. Maybe then the city will turn on the ones within.....doubt it though.

thats-racist.gif

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish

Punctuation! Please! This is an excellent argument for elementary education reform.

Mirror

Out on the Track
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2010
    Baton Rouge

No, the city will simply just call the whole damn police force racist.

Top Bottom