Ascension Parish Firearms Laws - APSO Please Chime In

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I have scoured over both the State Statutes and the Ascension Parish Municipal Codes and I cannot find anything that prohibits a person from shooting firearms anywhere in the Parish (except the obvious gun free zones, etc.).

So, the questions are:

If I shoot in my backyard, and I have established a safe berm to shoot into; are there any other prohibitions like noise ordinances that I would need to consider?

Also, even though I am probably good with this, could one of my neighbors in the subdivision call in a "legitimate" complaint for any other reason(s)?

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I have scoured over both the State Statutes and the Ascension Parish Municipal Codes and I cannot find anything that prohibits a person from shooting firearms anywhere in the Parish (except the obvious gun free zones, etc.).

So, the questions are:

If I shoot in my backyard, and I have established a safe berm to shoot into; are there any other prohibitions like noise ordinances that I would need to consider?

Also, even though I am probably good with this, could one of my neighbors in the subdivision call in a "legitimate" complaint for any other reason(s)?

https://www.municode.com/library/la...rdinances?nodeId=PTIICOOR_CH14OFMIPR_ARTIIINO

This may help.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I saw those. Not much mention of firearms. That is my point. Right now I'm throwing .22's at some paper; I want to know if I'm can break out the bigger stuff without having a deputy knocking on the door.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Why don't you call the sheriffs office and ask?

Because, I would rather not bother them. As far as I am concerned, the less people that know what I'm doing the better. ;)

I'm taking the slow cook method! Shoot a few blasts here and there enough till the neighborhood gets used to hearing it. Then when I feel like dialing in a .223 no one will give a crap.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I saw those. Not much mention of firearms. That is my point. Right now I'm throwing .22's at some paper; I want to know if I'm can break out the bigger stuff without having a deputy knocking on the door.

From what I've read and been told, It's not a problem unless someone files a complaint.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    From what I've read and been told, It's not a problem unless someone files a complaint.

That's why am I looking for a deputy to answer. I know they are mandated to respond to all complaints, but if it is not illegal, they could tell the killjoy; "But Mr. or Mrs. Buzz Killington, there is nothing wrong with what he's doing!"

There is a great calm in peace of mind knowing that I shouldn't have to worry about a knock on the door. ;)

Last edited:

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    They get paid to be bothered. It's easier to talk on the phone for a couple of minutes than to have to send a deputy to your house. And you could give them a neighbors name and address when they ask who you are. But if you want to take legal advice from an internet forum, that's ok with me.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    They get paid to be bothered. It's easier to talk on the phone for a couple of minutes than to have to send a deputy to your house. And you could give them a neighbors name and address when they ask who you are. But if you want to take legal advice from an internet forum, that's ok with me.

I intently read both the Louisiana State Laws and the Ascension Municipal Code. I saw no laws prohibiting me from doing this. I am asking that an APSO Deputy chime in just to get a vibe from a person that would actually respond to something like this.

If there is no law on the books; I'm good. I wasn't asking for internet legal eagles advice.

Besides, even though there is no specific law to stop me from doing this, I wouldn't want a desk jockey at the APSO to tell me they personally didn't think it was a good idea.

Last edited:

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    Another thing to check. If you are in a subdivision or something like that, check to make sure there are no restrictive covenants on the property. I have restrictions where I live. Mostly no commercial, no on street parking, stuff like that.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Another thing to check. If you are in a subdivision or something like that, check to make sure there are no restrictive covenants on the property. I have restrictions where I live. Mostly no commercial, no on street parking, stuff like that.

Good to go on that front too!

I'm starting to believe that I may be open to a noise ordinance or even a disturbing the peace at the most. And that is if I have any Buzz Killingtons or Killjoys or Nosy Nancy's with real issues in the vicinity.

Neighbor on right is cool; one on left is a real dick!

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

I'm starting to believe that I may be open to a noise ordinance or even a disturbing the peace at the most. And that is if I have any Buzz Killingtons or Killjoys or Nosy Nancy's with real issues in the vicinity.

I usually go by a few rules, which I'm sure you do the same:
    1) 1000'+ away from highway or residence.
    2) Outside city limits
    3) Shoot between 8am and 4pm

I've only had the PD come out twice, and it was in two different parishes. They really didn't care that we were shooting and came out just because they didn't have any other calls to respond to.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I usually go by a few rules, which I'm sure you do the same:
    1) 1000'+ away from highway or residence.
    2) Outside city limits
    3) Shoot between 8am and 4pm

I've only had the PD come out twice, and it was in two different parishes. They really didn't care that we were shooting and came out just because they didn't have any other calls to respond to.

So much for this one! My bullets are flying 20-30 inches from his fence! :p

But he's not the dick, and I asked him if he cared.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009

Play music that's at least loud enough to cloak the sound of 5.56 and you should be GTG. :thumbsup:

:D J/K....I know the feeling around the old Home 20 these days, as well....It used to be a LOT more rural in my area. Still do a little shooting around there- but not the way I used to...:doh:

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Play music that's at least loud enough to cloak the sound of 5.56 and you should be GTG. :thumbsup:

:D J/K....I know the feeling around the old Home 20 these days, as well....It used to be a LOT more rural in my area. Still do a little shooting around there- but not the way I used to...:doh:

Ascension Parish is a perfect example of how few gun laws are needed in populated municipalities in general. I fear that eventually some douche is going ruin this too! Douches love adding laws where they are not needed.

The only rule AP needs is: Do not use your firearm to commit a felony and only shoot another person in self defense! :D

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    Emperor;1469707 The only rule AP needs is: Do not use your firearm to commit a felony and only shoot another person in self defense! :D[/QUOTE said:
    Those are the only gun laws we need for the entire country.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride

I'm calling City of Central Police on your ass.

Sec. 13:93. - Discharge of firearms.
    (a)
    Shooting of firearms within the city. It shall be unlawful to shoot or discharge a gun, pistol, revolver, rifle or other firearm within the city except in a regularly established rifle or pistol range built and operated under the proper safety precautions. The prohibition of this section shall not apply to members of the federal, state or municipal government authorized to carry such firearms, when acting within the scope of their authority.
    (b)
    Discharge of firearms in the parish; definitions; exceptions.
    (1)
    The discharge of any type pistol or rifle for any purpose by any person within one-half mile of any street, road or house in the parish is hereby prohibited.
    (2)
    The discharge of other types of firearms, including shotguns of any description which may be used for the explosion of cartridges or air gun, BB gun, gas-operated gun or spring gun, for any purpose by any person within five hundred (500) feet of any street, road or house in the parish is hereby prohibited.
    (3)
    The provisions of this subsection shall not be construed so as to prohibit any person from discharging a firearm in the defense of his person, family or property.
    (Ord. No. 7421, § 1, 1-25-84)

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

(a)
    Shooting of firearms within the city. It shall be unlawful to shoot or discharge a gun, pistol, revolver, rifle or other firearm within the city except in a regularly established rifle or pistol range built and operated under the proper safety precautions. The prohibition of this section shall not apply to members of the federal, state or municipal government authorized to carry such firearms, when acting within the scope of their authority.
    (b)
    (1)
    The discharge of any type pistol or rifle for any purpose by any person within one-half mile of any street, road or house in the parish is hereby prohibited.
    (2)
    The discharge of other types of firearms, including shotguns of any description which may be used for the explosion of cartridges or air gun, BB gun, gas-operated gun or spring gun, for any purpose by any person within five hundred (500) feet of any street, road or house in the parish is hereby prohibited.
    (3)
    The provisions of this subsection shall not be construed so as to prohibit any person from discharging a firearm in the defense of his person, family or property.

Where is this^ for? Doucheville! :doh:

Funny how people interpret a half of a mile as barely any distance at all. I don't think there is any land left in Ascension that is not 900 yards from a house or road. What a bunch of tools!

tunatuk

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ascension Parish
    Noise ordinance would definitely apply for shooting. Different levels that get measured with a decibel meter for different times. I'm pretty sure that it doesn't apply during the day though, don't remember. I'm out of patrol now though, so I don't remember the details on it.

Depending on what part of the parish you're in, depends on what'll happen. Deep in St. Amant, probably not a problem, in the Prairieville/Galvez highly populated areas, will probably be a problem due to how densely populated the areas are in some spots.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009

(a)
    (b)
    (1)
    (2)
    (3)

Oh no....not that! :dogkeke:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom