At Academy today only 9mm Winchester 50/$8.49

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Joel, they were $3.99 at the Siegen Lane Academy; still a good price, but they only had a few boxes of 12 gauge left; and they were 'bazookas' (heavier loads than I want; three and a quarter dram equivalent- that's a good hunting load).

I simply cannot comprehend WHY these domestic makers won't produce a good, cheap two and three quarter DE/one ounce of shot load for clay bird shooters. The Spaniards and the Italians have figured it out; when you can find them, Diana and Centurion shells are cheaper, softer shooting, MUCH cleaner shooting, and generally a much better shell than the filthy, over-powered junk from the "big three" (Remington, Winchester, Federal) that the big-box stores try to foist off on us. Although, the Remington Gun Clubs are definitely better (available in light DEs/one ounce shot charges, and cleaner burning, with a reloadable hull) than the Winchester Super Target or Federal Field & Target.

Nobody around here carries the Gun Clubs. That will hopefully change soon, when the new Dick's opens.

Of course, the average Billy-Bob who is buying the bulk of these shells for his 870 or 11-87 field gun is blissfully unaware of the differences; all he's looking at is price. Strength in numbers...

Meh, I went to the academy on airline today and they were, in fact, 3.99. They were 1 oz though and my finicky 1187 requires 1 1/8 to cycle.

What are you using for clay targets Mr. Steve? Auto or O/U?

I shoulda done more friggin research before I bought this 1187....

ETA- Taken from Remington's website...

"There are many items that can affect the cycling of an autoloading shotgun. The Model 11-87 12 gauge shotguns with field barrels installed need a minimum of 3 ¼ dram and 1 1/8 oz shot to properly cycle. "

Last edited:

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    I bought 1k of steel cased 9mm at Academy for one forty something a couple few months ago, but I think they may have raised their prices since then.

I do also think ammo is going to come down again, though. Simple economics. Might be a year or a little more, but it'll be back down.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Both. I have a Beretta gas gun that the wife bought me for Xmas last year. I really like it, which is good because I don't dare sell it.;) I use it for sporting clays and skeet, usually.

My O/U is a "combo"; it has two barrel sets, one a single barrel with high rib that is only useful for shooting trap, the other a conventional over/under. This gun doesn't fit me as well as the Beretta auto-loader, but as we speak the stock is in Ohio being fitted with a Gra-Coil sytem, which features a fully adjustable butt plate.

Both barrel sets are at Birdsong's for Black T. IOW, it will be quite some time before I have this shotgun back together again, but when it is, I'm hoping that I can do better with it at skeet and sporting clays than before. Trap is very regimented, and the birds can only go so many ways. I'm pretty good with it at trap.

Skeet is similar, but the gun shoots "high", which is a requirement for trap. And that means I have to hold under the birds, which just doesn't work for me at skeet and sporting clays. The latter, the birds are all over the place. The fully adjustable stock will allow me to regulate the o/u barrels to shoot "flat" for skeet and sporting clays, and I can crank up the adjustable rib on the single barrel to get it shooting high for trap. Best of both worlds...

Where rifle and pistol shooting is a science, shotgun shooting is an art.

A BLACK art.....:D

My goodness, ummm, im gonna have to read that a few more times to comprehend.

So, if there ever was a show called "trick-my-gun" you'd win. :rofl::rofl:

What brand is the O/U?

Top Bottom