ATF Bust.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I bet he answered everything truthfully on the form. I always do. Yes, im the actual buyer of this firearm. If I decide I don’t like it or need some cash TOMORROW and decide to sell it THE DAY AFTER THAT, it is within my legal rights to do so. There are no clear measurable parameters to govern that legal practice. Only a lot of doubt created by some unknown source(s), although the 2nd amendment is straightforward. The RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE….SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED. This same language is used throughout the Bill of Rights. If they try to redefine that language for the 2nd amendment, they’d have to do the same for the entire Bill of Rights. Then what would we have?
    Pretty typical that they grab whomever they can and prosecute them and consider them guilty until proven innocent.
    Next they will state that he knowingly sold a firearm to a known felon. How the hell do they know what you know? Was the shooter a felon prior to the gun sale? Did he sign a statement for the seller, stating he was or was not a felon?
    The ATF sees grey areas in the law as opportunities and wiggle room. Hopefully our courts will never see it that way.

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    I'm conflicted on this . I have witnessed "straw purchase " before where "Auntie " would go with a yong punk looking kid and let him pick out the gun he wanted . If someone buys dozens of new guns and a month later they are all sold to other people it's pretty clear the other people are not able to legally have guns . Of course he may still have all the other guns and just didn't like that one . I would have to see all the evidence before I passed judgment one way or the other . That said I agree that the ATF , cops and prosecutors often don't care if you are guilty only if they can arrest charge and get a conviction .

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    My wife went to a shop once and told them she was looking for blah blah blah to buy for her husband. They kindly explained to her that they couldn't do that and she would have to bring me with her. I was grateful they weren't rude to her because she honestly didn't realize she couldn't do that. Yes we did go back and I got to pick what I wanted.

cricht0n

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Zachary
    My wife went to a shop once and told them she was looking for blah blah blah to buy for her husband. They kindly explained to her that they couldn't do that and she would have to bring me with her.

I thought you were allowed to purchase for someone as a gift? I know my dad bought me my first 10/22.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    My wife went to a shop once and told them she was looking for blah blah blah to buy for her husband. They kindly explained to her that they couldn't do that and she would have to bring me with her. I was grateful they weren't rude to her because she honestly didn't realize she couldn't do that. Yes we did go back and I got to pick what I wanted.
    And that’s the way is should happen at all gun shops. Especially if they wanna keep a customer.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I thought you were allowed to purchase for someone as a gift? I know my dad bought me my first 10/22.

Most will say that you may gift a gun you own (same laws for a sale apply) but you can’t outright buy for another person. In other words, there is a background check that must be satisfied for that person before that person can own that gun. As implied earlier, you’re taking your chances with the ATF with anything to do with a gun, but especially in a case of a casual private transaction, selling or gifting.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    Some of you really need to download the 4473 and read instructions for block 21a.

YES, you can buy a firearm as a gift.

"A person is also the actual transferee/buyer if he/she is legitimately purchasing the firearm as a bona fide gift for a third party"
    "A gift is not bona fide if another person offered or gave the person completing this form money, service(s), or item(s) of value to acquire the firearm for him/her, or if the other person is prohibited by law from receiving or possessing the firearm"

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Absolutely buying for a family member or close acquaintances but again, taking your chances with ATF outside of that. If they wanna prosecute they will. Then you’re in for the fight of your life and the best you can hope for is to beat the rap. No recoup on whatever it costs you. No counter suit. No reimbursement.

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA

That may have been store policy, but that had nothing to do with the firearm regulations.

alecgreen

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    No! You cannot buy a furearm as a guft for anyone

No. You cannot buy a firearm as a gift for anyone. A parent may purchase a furearm as a gift for a child and that child may possess that firearm with written consent from a parent. Or in the company of that parent but no adult may purchase a firearm for another adult.

Am I missing something here? Can’t you legally buy a firearm to gift to someone?

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    WRONG!!!

"A person is also the actual transferee/buyer if he/she is legitimately purchasing the firearm as a bona fide gift for a third party"
    "A gift is not bona fide if another person offered or gave the person completing this form money, service(s), or item(s) of value to acquire the firearm for him/her, or if the other person is prohibited by law from receiving or possessing the firearm"

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I bet he answered everything truthfully on the form. I always do. Yes, im the actual buyer of this firearm. If I decide I don’t like it or need some cash TOMORROW and decide to sell it THE DAY AFTER THAT, it is within my legal rights to do so. There are no clear measurable parameters to govern that legal practice. Only a lot of doubt created by some unknown source(s), although the 2nd amendment is straightforward. The RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE….SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED. This same language is used throughout the Bill of Rights. If they try to redefine that language for the 2nd amendment, they’d have to do the same for the entire Bill of Rights. Then what would we have?
    Pretty typical that they grab whomever they can and prosecute them and consider them guilty until proven innocent.
    Next they will state that he knowingly sold a firearm to a known felon. How the hell do they know what you know? Was the shooter a felon prior to the gun sale? Did he sign a statement for the seller, stating he was or was not a felon?
    The ATF sees grey areas in the law as opportunities and wiggle room. Hopefully our courts will never see it that way.

"Read more: https://www.ammoland.com/2021/11/mi...rchasing-firearm-used-shooting/#ixzz7BqkbBicb
    Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
    Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook

"Horton had purchased 33 firearms from June 15, 2021, through October 17, 2021." None of which are currently in his possession..... may be a pattern here.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Am I missing something here? Can’t you legally buy a firearm to gift to someone?

Yes, of course you can.

Some of you really need to download the 4473 and read instructions for block 21a.

YES, you can buy a firearm as a gift.

No. You cannot buy a firearm as a gift for anyone. A parent may purchase a furearm as a gift for a child and that child may possess that firearm with written consent from a parent. Or in the company of that parent but no adult may purchase a firearm for another adult.

Did you not read what AdvancedLaser posted? He wasn't making that stuff up. He was quoting directly from the instructions on the reverse side of the Fm 4473. He was quoting the BATFE.

Perhaps you have a source of better authority than the AFT?

I poke fun by calling them the AFT, but I'm really poking fun at their current leader.

Oh, and those fine, handsome, intelligent folks at the NSA are some of the best public servants to ever monitor this post.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Seriously

I'm assuming, (I know, I know), that everyone here has filled out at least one 4473. Do y'all ever take the time to read them?

Most of y'all no. I can tell. You check that last box on the second page.

Y'all have no clue what your signing, . . . , do you?

People who sit on the other side of the counter cringe when you ask us for a new form because, "I own five houses" "I still get mail at that address" and various other excuses for us to hand you a new form.
    No!!! Go update your ID, or hand me a water bill, or something else from the govt with your correct address.
    Stop asking me to break the law. I don't even know you. I'm not going to risk anal rape in a prison for you.

Right now.

Homework.

Download and print a 4473.

Read it all. Front and back. Read the instructions to each question as you read the questions.

Read it aloud, if it helps.

Make every gun shop employee's job easier.

Please.

And stop asking us to break the law.

Top Bottom