Auction Issue

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longshot308

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Prairieville, LA
    Its not free. You pick up the rifle and you will pay for it. You pick it up and your CC will charge you for the rifle. FACT. You took delivery of the goods.

When you dispute a CC charge, most times they issue an immediate credit, a reversal. Then its time for the other party to respond to your claim, as you mentioned in 45 days. Just BC you received a credit for the initial charge does not mean the situation is resolved. The CC company will review all responses and make a decision on the case. I have been there, executed a dispute twice. And prevailed twice. One of them was for $557 in merchandise the seller refused to accept as a return. I prevailed, got a complete charge reversal and the merchandise too. The seller was hard headed and unwilling, and they paid for it.

Most auctions like Gunbroker are a binding agreement when you commit to a purchase. Just think of all the guys who "buy" then later want to cancel their order hours or days later. Somebody at the very least is going to eat the shipping charges for both ways, and the FFL's charge for his time and effort. There also may be a return fee for re-stocking because you changed your mind on a binding commitment to purchase. Not "fat fingers", you simply changed your mind after committing to purchase a firearm on line. Just like a member here committing to a purchase via PM or text exchange, then ghosting the seller. NOT COOL. Seems to happen pretty frequently too.

Do let us know how it is resolved in the end.
    Yeah, in this case I fully admitted fault at first and paid them within the hour of the invoice getting to me. They even confirmed receipt of my payment and contact with my FFL.

They actually committed a federal violation covering online sales that after 1 month they are supposed to contact me about a refund, rebate, etc but they didn't even with me calling them. Honestly it came to a point that yes, I was annoyed but when the 1 person called me days after it shipped and said it had shipped months prior, my usual stance to work with people and be cooperative switched to a fight. After I told him exact dates and he tried to play nice saying he would refund me the same amount as the auction premium and I called him out, he knew he was screwed and I called him out.

As for the CC company they did exactly as they should. Got a temporary credit, had a place to upload all documents and email communications and they responded to my questions.

longshot308

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Prairieville, LA
    I think (not sure), that if your FFL dealer still has the rifle in his inventory on Jan 1st, he has to pay tax on it (inventory tax?). If that's the case, I would go to him and take delivery before then just to avoid complications for him.
    That's a valid concern. I feel like since they have no value in it and it's just a transfer, it may not go into the books from an accounting perspective (I suspect)

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    For what it’s worth, I think you did the right thing and being free and clear of something is way better than feeling like you got something free, only to worry about it coming back on you later. I’ve always taught my kids that, as my parents taught me. We never believed in finders keepers. You find the owner if at all possible. Whatever people want to call it, I believe karma is real. I also enjoy being able to quickly fall asleep when my head hits the pillow.
    I’m reminded of a sermon I heard as a boy in church: Preacher said his daddy once bragged and gloated as he was driving home from buying a new set of tires for the family car and realizing at checkout that the cashier had greatly under charged him for whatever reason. He chose not to say a word and decided to take the free tires. Woke up the next morning to find someone had stolen the car. Preacher: “now I knew better than to tell my daddy that he was reaping what he sewed, so I held my tongue, but I learned a good lesson that day”

longshot308

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Prairieville, LA
    For what it’s worth, I think you did the right thing and being free and clear of something is way better than feeling like you got something free, only to worry about it coming back on you later. I’ve always taught my kids that, as my parents taught me. We never believed in finders keepers. You find the owner if at all possible. Whatever people want to call it, I believe karma is real. I also enjoy being able to quickly fall asleep when my head hits the pillow.
    I’m reminded of a sermon I heard as a boy in church: Preacher said his daddy once bragged and gloated as he was driving home from buying a new set of tires for the family car and realizing at checkout that the cashier had greatly under charged him for whatever reason. He chose not to say a word and decided to take the free tires. Woke up the next morning to find someone had stolen the car. Preacher: “now I knew better than to tell my daddy that he was reaping what he sewed, so I held my tongue, but I learned a good lesson that day”
    I appreciate the affirmation.
    Weather or not I got a "free" rifle there were some other legal issues that would always linger in my head and I have to much to worry about than some rifle.
    That is an interesting story. You can get into a deep discussion about that kind of thing like if you got home and realized you received an extra 5 in change, is it worth going back? Walmart, meh. Small mom and pop shop, maybe. Or do something good with that. Don't mean to get off on a tangent.

SSaltz

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    This is a strange suggestion and talk to your dealer first. Call the BATF and ask them what you should do, if the selling dealer is doing something wrong it will give you bonus points with BATF. If they aren't doing anything wrong they would have the definitive answer or any laws broken. I used to have my license and it never hurts to have a friend in high (so-so) places. lol

longshot308

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Prairieville, LA
    This right here. Karma has a way of balancing things out. I prefer to have karma brownie points built up.
    Exactly, I tend to not think karma has a thing, but actions reflect and sometimes bounce back. So yeah. maybe karma is a thing. I would have to have some letters proving the rifle was surrendered, and even then I had an idea to raffle it and use it to buy some diapers for a friend with kiddos on the way.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    This is a strange suggestion and talk to your dealer first. Call the BATF and ask them what you should do, if the selling dealer is doing something wrong it will give you bonus points with BATF. If they aren't doing anything wrong they would have the definitive answer or any laws broken. I used to have my license and it never hurts to have a friend in high (so-so) places. lol
    Oh God no! Not another letter to the ATF!!!!
    LOLOLOLOL

Top Bottom