Auto Opening Knifes ????

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I dont think there is any, I know there is a "Law" for possesing but I dont remember anything about selling or buying, you can get them at Cabela's and I seriously doubt they check to make sure you are LEO/Firefighter/Paramedic.

But I dont own one or have tried to buy one so I DUNO.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I dont think there is any, I know there is a "Law" for possesing but I dont remember anything about selling or buying, you can get them at Cabela's and I seriously doubt they check to make sure you are LEO/Firefighter/Paramedic.

But I dont own one or have tried to buy one so I DUNO.

You can get automatic or assisted opening at Cabela's?

BRitchieLCK

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2010
    Denham Springs, La
    Most sold here in Louisiana are spring assist. I bought an auto open(switchblade) S&W Special Ops through Quartermaster catalog and to be able to purchase it I had to fax a copy of my state security commision card. States that it is legal consider knives tools and not weapons so its legal to own and carry Louisiana is not one of those states. You can buy them at gun shows you just might run into problems with LEO if your ever stopped and asked if you have any weapons on you. I just traded mine at the Kenner gun show for a nice fixed blade S&W Search and Rescue knife.

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    You can get them from a particular vendor at the gun shows or if you call him. I can tell you from personal experience that my Kershaw Leek opens a good bit faster than my full auto Benchmade though.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I love my auto knives... the kershaw assisted openers are just as fast but I had 3 and they did not hold up like my higher end autos, I usually got 6-8 months out of one from $30 to $60 a pop.

My SOG-Tac Auto is going on 1.5 years of daily carry including on duty, bargain at $120. In February I got a Microtech UTX-70 OTF that is my dress/light use knife and it is flawless and silly fun to play with.

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    R.S. 14:95. Illegal carrying of weapons
    A. Illegal carrying of weapons is:
    (1) The intentional concealment of any firearm, or other instrumentality customarily used or intended for probable use as a dangerous weapon, on one's person; or
    (2) The ownership, possession, custody or use of any firearm, or other instrumentality customarily used as a dangerous weapon, at any time by an enemy alien; or
    (3) The ownership, possession, custody or use of any tools, or dynamite, or nitroglycerine, or explosives, or other instrumentality customarily used by thieves or burglars at any time by any person with the intent to commit a crime; or
    (4) The manufacture, ownership, possession, custody or use of any switchblade knife, spring knife or other knife or similar instrument having a blade which may be automatically unfolded or extended from a handle by the manipulation of a button, switch, latch or similar contrivance.

Switchblades are illegal.

It is often said that "spring assisted" knives (like the Kershaws) don't fall under this statute. I'm really not so sure, and I don't know if there is a case on it.

For me, I carry a Cold Steel Ti-Lite, which has the "pocket catch" thing but doesn't involve any springs, buttons, latches, etc. Even so, this could still be a "contrivance."

So, I think any kind of switchblade or assisted opening knife is technically illegal, even the manufacture or possession, but this law doesn't seem to be enforced. You can easily buy automatic knives at gun shows and spring assisted ones at knife stores. I know I got a switchblade from a gun show when I was a teenager.

Long story short - stupid law, probably never enforced, but just know that it could be.

MALIBU12

Rating - 100%
    71   0   2
    Sep 16, 2008
    slidell
    State Switchblade Laws
    http://http://www.autoknifeworks.com/statelaws.aspx
    State Possession Legal? Carry Legal?
    Alabama Y Y3
    Alaska N N
    Arizona Y Y
    Arkansas Y Y2
    California Y N
    Colorado N N
    Connecticut N N
    Delaware N Y3,4
    Florida Y Y
    Georgia Y N
    Hawaii N N
    Idaho Y Y3
    Illinois N N
    Indiana N N
    Iowa Y Y
    Kansas N N
    Kentucky Y Y3
    Louisiana N N
    Maine N N
    Maryland Y Y3
    Massachusetts N N
    Michigan N N
    Minnesota Y1 N
    Mississippi Y N
    Missouri Y1 N
    Montana Y1 N
    Nebraska Y Y3
    Nevada N N
    New Hampshire N N
    New Jersey N N
    New Mexico N N
    New York N N
    North Carolina Y Y3
    North Dakota Y Y3
    OHIO y y
    Oklahoma Y N
    Oregon Y Y3
    Pennsylvania Y1 N
    Rhode Island Y N
    South Carolina Y N
    South Dakota Y Y
    Tennessee N N
    Texas Y1 N
    Utah Y Y3
    Vermont N N
    Virginia Y Y3,4
    Washington N N
    West Virginia Y Y3,4
    Wisconsin N N
    Wyoming Y N

1Possession banned, but exception made for collectors and/or possession as curios or antiques
    2Carry allowed if blade is under 3.5 inches
    3Carry allowed if not concealed
    4Concealed Carry allowed with permit or license

Last edited:

yamarider450

EO1(SCW)U.S NAVY SEABEE
    Rating - 92.3%
    11   1   1
    Jun 1, 2008
    Slidell, la
    I have the same SOG and its a great knife

I love my auto knives... the kershaw assisted openers are just as fast but I had 3 and they did not hold up like my higher end autos, I usually got 6-8 months out of one from $30 to $60 a pop.

My SOG-Tac Auto is going on 1.5 years of daily carry including on duty, bargain at $120. In February I got a Microtech UTX-70 OTF that is my dress/light use knife and it is flawless and silly fun to play with.

Top Bottom