Baby Desert Eagle in 40 cal. question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rooster

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Lake Charles, LA
    I have shot both the poly version and the all metal and like them both. I carry the poly as of now. Never had a problem and I've put about 500 rounds all types of ammo.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    I have one in subcompact 40 cal. I love it. Not high round count, prolly about 1k. Not a single problem from any ammo, including low power reloads. It's the all metal version. It's my second favorite firearm next to my hk p2000 and soon to be my wifes ccw (that's how much I trust it!). My father had a full size with no issues.

Pm me if you'd like shoot it. I have access to a place to.

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    My friend has a baby eagle in 9mm. I was very surprised at how well it shot. I believe it is based on the CZ-75, so that's not surprising.

Really sweet shooting gun. He had the all steel one, which is super heavy, but it made the recoil almost go away.

HeathLedger

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    West Monroe LA
    Never shot the baby, but I have put many rounds through the 50AE. They worked well except for some "last round" issues. Kinda figured if the job was not done by then, it could'nt be done.

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    You're lucky to get one that reliable... I have had a few opportunities to shoot big Desert Eagles and know 2 guys that own them. They're a novelty more than anything.

The baby eagle, though, is a fine pistol.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    I've got the daddy version in 44 also. Used to have feeding issues until I quit holding pressure on the mag. Now all feeding issues gone away. Read that in a few Places that holding lessee upwards on the mag floor can cause feeding issues.

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    Of course, it is important to reiterate that the big Desert Eagle and the baby eagle share only a name. There isn't anything else about them that are similar except they are semi-autos. The baby eagle shares no design similarities with the big eagle. So all this discussion of the big eagle's reliability has no bearing on the reliability of the baby.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    +1 to lead slugga. They don't even share operation type. Baby is recoil operated (standard) and big one is piston operated.

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    The only thing they have in common are that they are semi-automatic, and they are about as different as two semi autos can be. Also, big eagle is single action only where baby is DA/SA.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    269   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I have the Baby eagle in 40. Great gun, the most accurate gun I have in 40, and close to the most accurate gun I have shot, period. Would never part with it.

As for the feeding issue on the big Desert Eagles, the mag is designed to be a "floating" setup. Upward pressure will place the feedlips in contact with the bolt head. Any that would be bad, m-kay.

I have a 357, 44, and 50 DE. All shoot just fine, and have been 100% reliable with a wide range of ammo. My 44 will run some of the lower powered ammo, but does function better with the hot stuff. I have shot some really hot 357 and it is a joy to shoot out of this gun. To anyone here, if you get a chance to shoot a 357 DE take it, like a heavy 9mm, with much better accuracy! And no recoil!

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    My friend has the .357 DE, and you're right, it is a blast to shoot. Kicks like a light 9mm. It is fun to sling 9 .357 mags down range in one hand as fast as you can pull the trigger.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    269   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    My friend has the .357 DE, and you're right, it is a blast to shoot. Kicks like a light 9mm. It is fun to sling 9 .357 mags down range in one hand as fast as you can pull the trigger.

I love mine, my 686 and 28 rarely get shot anymore, unless the wife wants to blast some 38spl.

Seems like the DE guns get a bad rap... I wonder how many of the naysayers have even shot one? I did alot of research before I got mine, and all the OWNERS I found really liked theirs.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Seems like the DE guns get a bad rap... I wonder how many of the naysayers have even shot one? I did alot of research before I got mine, and all the OWNERS I found really liked theirs.

Cause jealous people talk bad about them. I have asked people who relay bad info and none as of yet have shot one

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    269   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Cause jealous people talk bad about them. I have asked people who relay bad info and none as of yet have shot one

Figured as much. Yeah they are big, and heavy. And well made. I guess people who are weak in the arms or have tiny hands are just pissed that they cannot "man up" and shoot a real gun with the rest of us. I can one hand shoot the 44 mag DE all day. And my 5-2 wife can pop a few rounds out of it with no issues.

specter65

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Georgia
    I have owned the Baby Eagle/Jericho in both 9mm and 40. They are excellent firearms being both highly reliable and accurate. I have about 3500 rounds through my 9mm and the one and only issue ever was one round with a faulty primer so the gun has performed 100%. The 40 was equally good but wound up being replaced by the 9 after a home theft.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bruce robison
    Top Bottom