Background Check Delay

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    @Blue Diamond. This post was about 4473 delays, not doubt. By law, you are entitled to receive the firearm after three days if you do not get an approval. If the seller does not give it to you, spend your money elsewhere. I have never been in such a hurry to get a gun that I couldn't wait three days, or longer.

Last edited:

ultrasonic

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    I never got delayed for hundreds of purchases for years. Then moved to Iberia parish and I was an instant criminal, always delayed and always for the full 3 days. Moved back into Lafayette parish two years later and now, always approved. The wtf's I get now are if i'm out of town, purchase a couple of firearms, and then try to get them all picked up in the same day. Haven't been delayed, but the FFL almost always has to call in that instance. It goes to some other person for further investigation but eventually gets approved. I'm sure it's some type of backdoor gun control lol.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I still don't understand why you would go for a VAF for a delay. By law, they have to give it to you after three days if it is delayed (not denied). See below:

As of November 30, 1998, you will be required to initiate a NICS check prior to transferring a firearm to anyone who is not a licensee. The following steps must be followed prior to transferring a firearm:
    1. Have the transferee complete and sign ATF Form 4473, Firearms Transaction Record.
    2. Verify the identity of the transferee through a Government-issued photo identification (for example, a driver’s license).
    3. Contact NICS. You will get either a *proceed,* *denied* or *delayed* response from the system. If you get a *delayed* response and there is no additional response from the system, you may transfer the firearm after three business days have elapsed. Of course, you must still comply with any waiting period requirements under State law.

https://www.atf.gov/file/84561/download

Swampfoxx; PERSONAL or STORE POLICY does superseed the atf rules u quoted. If they are in any doubt they have the right to refuse selling to u.

@Blue Diamond. This post was about 4473 delays, not doubt. By law, you are entitled to receive the firearm after three days if you do not get an approval. If the seller does not give it to you, spend your money elsewhere. I have never been in such a hurry to get a gun that I couldn't wait three days, or longer.

I get delayed frequently. I ALWAYS have to get a supervisor's permission before I get a proceed. If there is no supervisor available, I get delayed.

At the LGS this is not a major issue. The manager there gets the same treatment from the Feds.

At a gun show, this is a MAJOR issue. Sunday at 4:30 and that gun you really want is suddenly several hundred dollars cheaper because the dealer doesn't want to bring it back home. Delayed=No Bargain.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Matthew Nodier
    Top Bottom