Ballistics for .380

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brewer3401

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Summer carry = Sig P232 in .380 (Remington Golden Saber 102 gn.)
    Winter carry = Sig P229 in .40 (Remington Golden Saber 165 gn. ) (Considering Cor-Bon 135 gn. - very close to ballistics of .357 Sig round)

I've seen discussions about whether to use FMJ or JHP in a .380 for self-defense/carry.

Can anyone steer me to any documentation that addresses what is "better" when carrying a .380 (assuming very accurate hits with either bullet)

Thanks

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    Thanks for the question OP, and thanks for the info fellas. I mainly carry a 380 unless weather permits clothing to properly conceal a full size M&P9. I always wondered what ammunition would be suitable for self defense. I usually carry with Hornady Critical Defense and I must confess that I'm too lazy to put my Googl-fu to use and find the information myself.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    I would steer away from coorbons unless you have tested them in your gun. I used to carry them, when I started carrying a mouse gun on dress up days, I tried to use them and got really, really hard primers and they would not go bang..

brewer3401

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Thanks to all for the info - good stuff.

Q - is it better to carry round ball as opposed to hollow points with a .380 ?

I saw some tests on one gun related show with the host shooting various calibers through sheets of plywood. The .380 made it to #7 (the .40 went through 14 I think and out the back of the frame - both FMJ bullets)

I think you can do real damage with a .22 with good shot placement, but would never carry that small for self-defense. (well placed .22 is better than a miss with a cannon)

Just wondering if i should consider the less than 12" FBI "ideal" penetration.

Another thought, if shot through a couple of layers of clothing, there is the possibility of a JHP not even expanding (which I'm guessing would give deeper penetration like a FJM)

Guess I am trying to find the "correct" .380 for summer carry.

Thanks to all again.

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Check out Buffalo Bore's 100gr +p hard cast flat nose. If I had to carry a 380 it would be that or something similar.

Make sure you shoot them first, but don't go crazy. There is no .380 +p saami standard, and shooting a 100 or so rounds to make sure your gun likes them could lead to a kaboom if your gun isn't stout enough.

I'm a huge proponent of thoroughly testing carry ammo, but the buffalo bore .380 stuff might be overkill for your gun.

Check with the manufacturer first.

homeslice

Be honest.
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    St. Charles Parish
    While I greatly respect the opinions of the two posters above me - I have to disagree. I own a PM9 and have found my best EDC carry system is a rear pocketed LCP. When I can - I switch to front pocket PM9 or IWB PM9. But for the most part - it's LCP. With that said, I've chosen the Hornady Critical Defense 90gr as my carry ammunition. I currently subscribe to a gentleman on YouTube called tnoutdoors9 who has very thorough ammunition tests. Here's the one for my ammunition selection:

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

brewer3401

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Thanks again for everyone's input and the movie clip.

Also saw a test on the Rem. Golden Saber 102 gn., and it failed to expand (explained by possibly heavier bullet weight, lower velocity, and cavity getting plugged with denham)

I really don't feel underpowered with the .380 - I would hate to be shot with one, or any caliber. I do understand the difference in .380, 9mm, etc.

I think lots of good practice and being able to deliver accurate hits is more important than caliber size.

And yes, I would rather have the .40 than the .380 - just quite a bit easier to conceal the P232 with just a Polo shirt for cover.

Again, thanks to all.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish

MRBULLRED

Psalms 27: 1-3
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Ascension Parish
    While I greatly respect the opinions of the two posters above me - I have to disagree. I own a PM9 and have found my best EDC carry system is a rear pocketed LCP. When I can - I switch to front pocket PM9 or IWB PM9. But for the most part - it's LCP. With that said, I've chosen the Hornady Critical Defense 90gr as my carry ammunition. I currently subscribe to a gentleman on YouTube called tnoutdoors9 who has very thorough ammunition tests. Here's the one for my ammunition selection:

I hope this helps.

When I carried a .380 for a short time this video made me a believer of Hornady having the best 380 round.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H9M6cZGd18&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Last edited:

UnseenUSPCompact

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    I carry my LCP everyday unless I "up" carry to a full size, depending on weather. I use Winchester PDX1 for PD, 2 PDX1, 2 Flatnose, and the rest PDX1. Extra Mag all PDX1. I put the Flatnose in there for heavy clothes insurance. If the PDX don't push through then next two should, tho I don't really have a reason to doubt the PDX1's or any other .380 PD rounds effectiveness, but I also have never needed to shoot anybody before. ::shrug:: Just my thoughts, take it with a grain of salt.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adgram1013
    Top Bottom