Barrel for Turkey Hunting

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington
    I have a Mossberg 500 with a 28" barrel. I am looking at the 20" v-rib barrel Mossberg has listed as a security barrel on their web site (part #90140). It is set up for a choke.

http://http://www.mossberg.com/products/access.asp?type=barrels&section=access

I can't afford a new gun but can swing the $100 or so for the barrel. I already have a Hastings Turkey choke for the Mossberg as well as hi-viz rifle style sights for the v-rib.

Any thoughts?

I'm saving up for a Benelli M2 or Beretta AL391Xtreme in 24" camo but don't have the cash right now.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I'm no turkey expert, but I've always heard how hard they were to kill. Wouldn't you want the longer barrel and the extra muzzle velocity? I know the shorter barrel would be easier to carry as well as swing but I'd want the extra punch.
    I still don't get why LA won't let you hunt turkey w/ a rifle.

ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington
    Or a Fall season before Deer season. That would be nice. I always kill way more skeaters than birds.

I've been told all the powder on a 3" shell will be burned out at 20" so it doesn't effect veocity that much. All my shots are 25 yds or so anyway.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    I still don't get why LA won't let you hunt turkey w/ a rifle.

I think it's because Turkey's are flocking birds and the rifle fully penetrates a Turkey, possibly killing more than one.(Though archery poses the same problem so I lean more on the safety issue.) Turkey hunters do so at ground level and in full camo so it would become a much more dangerous event on public land especially.

Top Bottom