Basic Training with a REAL Rifle: The M14

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    Went thru Army Basic Training at Ft Polk in 1968 with the M14 Rifle. Was given an M16 in the last two weeks for "familiarization". Issued an M16 in AIT and again in Vietnam, didn't see another M14 until 1988 when I was issued a match M14 for the LA National Guard Rifle Team. Kept it at home in my vault for six years until we switched from Match rifle to Combat rifle. Fast forward to Iraq in 2004: the M14 seemed to be the weapon of choice for the Squad Designated Marksman and enjoyed a resurgence of popularity. Currently I still have two hand built M1A type rifles and they are my favorites of the 'bigger' bores.

View attachment 47992View attachment 47993View attachment 47994View attachment 47995View attachment 47996

Last edited:

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    All I think about is, what a bitch with weapons pt... holding that heavy thing over your head for 30 mins or more.... ****... my m16 sucked enough...

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    Awesome Thank you for sharing. The M14 came in handy with our sharpshooter a time or two. They had a nice integrated rail system on ours in 2007.

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    Try it with a SAW!!!!

I thought I was slick once, carrying my pistol only into the chow hall, while the rest of my guys carried their M4s and SAWs, without slings, as our squad leader didn't want us to get lazy on 8-12 hr refits on base, we were always on patrol in sector. So there I am, big slick strolling into the chow hall with my squad on FB Falcon for our first hot meal in 12 days, and SSG Archer is all like, that's how it's going to be Doc? Man I think we forgot the 240B behind, fetch that for me will ya? And now I'm lugging the 240B into the chow hall, no sling, of course, trying to balance a tray and a got damned machine gun. Great memories. You don't appreciate how good hot food is until you've eaten those MRE'S for breakfast lunch and dinner for two weeks, a month, etc.

Needless to say my M4A1 " Lutabelle " was carried out by the Delta Ring in my left hand anytime we had a chance to visit a FOB or COB and had an opportunity for a possible hot meal when we could sneak in a chow hall.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    I thought I was slick once, carrying my pistol only into the chow hall, while the rest of my guys carried their M4s and SAWs, without slings, as our squad leader didn't want us to get lazy on 8-12 hr refits on base, we were always on patrol in sector. So there I am, big slick strolling into the chow hall with my squad on FB Falcon for our first hot meal in 12 days, and SSG Archer is all like, that's how it's going to be Doc? Man I think we forgot the 240B behind, fetch that for me will ya? And now I'm lugging the 240B into the chow hall, no sling, of course, trying to balance a tray and a got damned machine gun. Great memories. You don't appreciate how good hot food is until you've eaten those MRE'S for breakfast lunch and dinner for two weeks, a month, etc.

Needless to say my M4A1 " Lutabelle " was carried out by the Delta Ring in my left hand anytime we had a chance to visit a FOB or COB and had an opportunity for a possible hot meal when we could sneak in a chow hall.
    Why no slings?

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    A lot of Regular Army guys walked around with their wolf hooks or slings only supporting their rifle and barely even keeping their hand on their weapon. We used no slings on base and maintained our weapons at a low ready just like on patrol, mainly because we didn't want a 8 hr stint enjoying hot shower, gym, and hot chow make us lazy on patrol. We only made an appearance at a base once Orr twice a month, but we did it to not get distracted by what would keep us alive, practice in your downtime what you do when on the clock, I guess. Man, some of those guys on patrol in other units on sector looked ate up, not even holding their right hand on their pistol grip, just letting it dangle by the wolf hook sling. Complacency will get you killed.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    We actually lived in sector and not on a FOB. We couldn't afford to be lazy about it on a refit.

Hmm I thought I would wany one for the fact if I needed to manipulate something I wouldnt need tp put my rifle on the ground... and with the 240b during basic they didnt want us carrying It without the sling.

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    Re read it. We used slings in sector, on patrol, etc but not lazily, i.e. secure it while I'm working on casualty, use it to stabilize while shooting long range, etc. We did without slings on our few and far between refits as to not get lazy with them like other units were. The enemy rarely wants to attack a "Hard Target": dismounts' rifles at the low ready, gunners in turrets with machine guns pointing out towards potential enemies and not canted up to the sky, active turrets moving through their sectors scanning, etc...

Last edited:

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    Re read it. We used slings in sector, on patrol, etc but not lazily, i.e. secure it while I'm working on casualty, use it to stabilize while shooting long range, etc. We did without slings on our few and far between refits as to not get lazy with them like other units were. The enemy rarely wants to attack a "Hard Target": rifles at the low ready, gunners in turrets with machine guns pointing out towards potential enemies and not canted up to the sky, active turrets moving through their sectors scanning, etc...
    Ok Gotcha in Basic that scanning had me worried got flagged alot when we had blanks... The urge to punch was strong, but they are looking for excuses to Kick people out didn't want one so early in my career.

Top Bottom