Bayou bullet reload data

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mrron

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Addis, LA
    I have several calibers (38sp, 40, 45c, 45acp, 9mm) that I reload and get fairly accurate w most reloads. I am curious, since there is so many different powder and weight choices. I've seen some reload data on the 9mm, but has anyone or the company started a reload manual for all calibers of Bayou bullets? They seem to be quite popular, I get confused sometimes with the over whelming variables in OAL and specific manufacturers choice of bullets. I'm just now getting back to this forum any guidance would be wonderful. Thanks!

noylj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2010
    southwest
    It's not needed. COL depends on your gun as much or more than it depends on the bullet. Load data, as long as you start with the starting load, is good for all similarly constructed bullets (basically, lead, jacketed, monolithic, and frangible--with plated being lead).
    Bayou are lead bullets, so lead data is used. Lyman is a great source for lead bullet data. Most powder manufacturers have lead loads on their sites.
    Keep notes so you know what you used for those variables.
    Besides, the only ones you should trust for that data would be Bayou or other certified test facility and not some yahoo on the 'net.

Dirtchevy841

Reloader
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Covington La
    I have several calibers (38sp, 40, 45c, 45acp, 9mm) that I reload and get fairly accurate w most reloads. I am curious, since there is so many different powder and weight choices. I've seen some reload data on the 9mm, but has anyone or the company started a reload manual for all calibers of Bayou bullets? They seem to be quite popular, I get confused sometimes with the over whelming variables in OAL and specific manufacturers choice of bullets. I'm just now getting back to this forum any guidance would be wonderful. Thanks!

I've been using donnys bullets for a while now. Mostly 45 now 230 gr coated. Best load I've set on coming from a lot of competitive shooters using his bullets also is 3.8 -4 grains of Clays. Doesn't get better than that. As for other powders I've tried all and the charges in most books are pretty close. But if u want a great target and comp load clays is the ticket. I do not use anything else for 45 anymore. Very clean also.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Start low with the coated bullets. They are much faster.
    A 124gr TC Bayou Bullet takes 9.5gr of a certain powder to get 1350fps while a 124gr JHP Precision Delta takes 10.5gr to achieve the same velocity.

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    Start low with the coated bullets. They are much faster.
    A 124gr TC Bayou Bullet takes 9.5gr of a certain powder to get 1350fps while a 124gr JHP Precision Delta takes 10.5gr to achieve the same velocity.

It's not just the coated bullet that requires less powder, that fact is true of conventional cast and lubricated lead bullets also. They and the coated bullets are softer, hence easier to shove down the bore. Use cast bullet data for coated and you will be fine. Jacketed bullet data is not 100% interchangeable with cast-swaged-coated bullets.
    Seems like nothing in reloading is simple anymore , but at least we have sites that we can exchange information from. Load safe.
    Gary

noylj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2010
    southwest
    The Black Magic of reloading:
    A lead bullet will often achieve a higher velocity with a lighter charge and the lead bullet will achieve a higher pressure at a lower charge weight than a jacketed bullet. I would think that if the bullet went down the bore "easier," then the load should be able to go to higher charge weights before reaching the same pressure--yet this doesn't happen. I wonder if the pressures are quite comparable for the same velocity?

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jamesernestomurray
    Top Bottom