Bcm recce 16? 14?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    Anyone have any experience with these? I've got one (16) on layaway for a patrol rifle, and will use an Aimpoint PRO + some kind of WML / afg.
    Good rifle? I'm assuming so due to the price point and Internet reviews, but I've never shot it. Also, I got the 16" because that was what's available, but should I hold out for the 14.5 since it'll be in my car and not a range toy?

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    I have a BCM and over 1,000 flawless rounds through it. I am not a fan of a pinned flash hider but that is up to you. My BCM is a KISS rifle, IMHO, red dot, WML and sling.

jr0lxoyl3jqpu531oo46.jpg

whitjct

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    Rhode Island
    I am a fan of the 14.5 with the pinned...it's only about 2 inches but that 2 inches does mak a difference in a patol car...for me it did anyways

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    The RECCE setup fills a very specific need for a very specific group of people. I don't think it's ideal for a patrol rifle. I don't know what kind of "patrol" you're talking about, but I highly doubt you'd be shooting at distances that require a heavier barrel profile. The Aimpoint Pro is a good choice though, solid optic for the money.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    The RECCE setup fills a very specific need for a very specific group of people. I don't think it's ideal for a patrol rifle. I don't know what kind of "patrol" you're talking about, but I highly doubt you'd be shooting at distances that require a heavier barrel profile. The Aimpoint Pro is a good choice though, solid optic for the money.

I think people get bent out of shape over barrels quite a lot. The signal/noise is high on ar15.com, but there are some very informative posts if you have a good filter. These are links to a few, that focus on the topic of barrels. They are why I prefer Noveske (or any) hammer-forged, chrome-lined barrels. I find them faster/easier to clean, and they don't copper foul hardly at all due to being hammer-forged. Those are worth more to me than the accuracy differences you will find if you read these links:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/486023_.html
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/468188_.html

VS

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=467919

I prefer the advantages of the hammer forging/chrome lining. YMMV.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I think people get bent out of shape over barrels quite a lot. The signal/noise is high on ar15.com, but there are some very informative posts if you have a good filter. These are links to a few, that focus on the topic of barrels. They are why I prefer Noveske (or any) hammer-forged, chrome-lined barrels. I find them faster/easier to clean, and they don't copper foul hardly at all due to being hammer-forged. Those are worth more to me than the accuracy differences you will find if you read these links:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/486023_.html
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/468188_.html

VS

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=467919

I prefer the advantages of the hammer forging/chrome lining. YMMV.

You need to stop reading so much and start spending more time shooting and talking to guys that kill people for a living.

Last edited:

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    You need to stop reading so much and start spending more time shooting and talking to guys that kill people for a living.

I could definitely use more time shooting. Maybe in time I will be able to take advantage of a 0.8MOA barrel vs. a 1.2MOA barrel while running and gunning, but until then, I enjoy my CHF/CL barrels. Dr. Roberts and this site's user "Vanilla Gorilla" have definitely been a big help to me in the advice-column, though, as well as others. VG is the one who pushed me to sign up for his carbine course, and I look forward to learning quite a bit!

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    The Recce set up sucks if you aren't a Navy SEAL or shooting from a static position. I assume by Patrol Rifle you mean for Law Enforcement work? If it is in La we lack the wide open spaces the Mk12mod() was meant to exploit.

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    RE barrels. For me, the perfect barrel for a working gun ( as much as I will ever work it) that isn't NFA

14.5" CHF Melonited (no chrome) lightweight. 11.5-12.5" if NFA.

I still don't know what the heck a kiss rifle is.

A lightweight 14.5" gun with tubular hand guards and a good quality optic is as good as it gets for a "do all" carbine. Add a Z6i, Mark 6, or any other high quality variable and you can easily make hits at any distance you can identify your targets at.

RE Kiss rifles. I only put quality parts that increase my effectiveness on my gun.

I am faster clearing malfunctions with a BAD Lever. No two ways about it.
    I am faster on and off safety running barricade or support side drills with a 45 degree safety.
    An IR laser makes me more effective at night

I think every defensive gun should have at a minimum:

Optic
    Light
    Sling

Quad rails are so completely obsolete at this point, I literally cannot think of a single use for them that cannot be filled by a tubular. Additions to weapons should have a good justifiable use with no downside. My gun may have more controls on it than a backhoe (copyright Nate) but they all have a purpose, and I am comfortable using them as such, they do not make the gun unreliable, but make me faster, more accurate, and generally more effective.

It's important to note that I believe all shooters should start with the basic and add as they feel it can improve them. There are no software problems hardware can solve, but hardware, properly utilized can augment software, make it better and faster.

I'm a nobody, so that is my opinion alone and counts for nothing. Evaluate your setup honestly.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    The Recce set up sucks if you aren't a Navy SEAL or shooting from a static position. I assume by Patrol Rifle you mean for Law Enforcement work? If it is in La we lack the wide open spaces the Mk12mod() was meant to exploit.

Thanks for the replies guys, my house has 4 feet of water in it right now and I've been working Really hard with the pd here so I haven't had much time to get online.
    VG, ya it's mission (LEO) is to sit in my unit's gun rack and be mean looking.
    Honestly, I wanted a fairly lightweight carbine that I could totally trust and would fit in the rack. After talking to a few serious AR nuts they suggested BCM or DD. I played with a DDm4v (4 I think? Not a v7), and preferred the RECCE 16. Am I going the wrong direction here?
    I'll be the first to say I have no idea what I'm doing actually buying a "high dollar" AR, I just pick one up and play with it..

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Post a link or a pic of what your calling a Recce Rifle. What you want for Patrol Work is a versatile carbine. You want an M4 clone.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Post a link or a pic of what your calling a Recce Rifle. What you want for Patrol Work is a versatile carbine. You want an M4 clone.

BCM-URG-MID-1620TRX11std-7-1.jpg

It's just a 16" rifle with quad rail and heavy barrel profile.

For a duty rifle I think a basic carbine or midlength with lightweight 14.5" barrel would be the ticket. Not sure how well it would meet your "look cool in the rack" criteria.

What agency are you working for that allows you to carry your own rifle? Most issue a standard carbine.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    That's a pointlessly heavy rifle. Quad rails are obsolete with the current generation of tubes on the market. My bet is you'd be happier in the long run with a 14.5" LW Barrel and a tube. You can get that rifle from Bravo if that's the brand your after.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Okay... I'm confused. You're saying that you prefer a Noveske barrel (or any hammer-forged, chrome lined barrel) over a standard Colt skinny barrel because the former is faster/easier to clean?

If so, please explain WHY it is faster/easier to clean; and detail your cleaning procedures. I.e., type of rod and brush used, type/quantity of solvent, time (how long from start to finish), etc.

I have cleaned: Colt SS barrel, Colt CMV (non CL) barrel, and Sabre Defense CMV CL barrels on AR's.

I wet-patch with Hoppes #9 2-3 times, and then I spray FBC in the bore after a dry patch.

I let that set until it runs out blue.

I then use a bore-brush for about 10 passes and gun-scrubber the bore out, and then dry-patch it once, and then spray another round of FBC through it. It still comes out a bit blue from the copper. I then gun-scrubber, dry-patch, CLP wet-patch, and then dry patch.

My Noveske doesn't copper foul at all hardly. There is no blue tint to the FBC, so I stopped doing it all together. A bore snake and done. Hammer forged barrels do not have the "Chatter" in them that button-rifled barrels do. No-matter how nicely that button goes down the bore, there is going to be a little bit of chatter, and that is where copper fouling collects. There is none of this chatter in Noveske's CHF barrel (Or in a DD,BCM,etc. CHF barrel, either, likely.)

Simply put, it copper-fouls way less in 200 rounds than any other type of barrel I have sprayed FBC in does in 20 rounds.

Now, I understand that copper fouling isn't the end of the world, and is usually self-limiting, but it's nice to have it become self-limiting sooner rather than later, I think. Regardless of my method/time/brush-type used, it was the same between the Noveske and the other barrels until I discovered it was wasted time and effort on the Noveske because copper simply doesn't get build up in it at all hardly. Gets the snake, now.

YMMV

Last edited:
    Top Bottom