Bears or incentive to jog faster...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    They're still wild animals, at heart- alpha predators. Movie Bears, or not- you are still dealing with a large animal that could easily kill you- if he decides to.:dunno:

Anyone remember the case involving "Rocky"? :doh:

**MAYBE NSFW**

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    They're still wild animals, at heart- alpha predators. Movie Bears, or not- you are still dealing with a large animal that could easily kill you- if he decides to.:dunno:

Anyone remember the case involving "Rocky"? :doh:

**MAYBE NSFW**

dang. 4 seconds. four.

not even enough time to finish your thought, let alone react or defend yourself.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    dang. 4 seconds. four.

not even enough time to finish your thought, let alone react or defend yourself.

Yep. All hell broke loose in an INSTANT. No warning.

And then in all the chaos, @ 0:24 the guy in the grey shirt turned his back on the bear out of concern for the other trainer....he is quite lucky. :eek3:

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Most animals that originate from the wild are more reliably "tame" after being shot with several rounds of ammunition of some sort. Then, and only then, will a "wild" animal be considered "tame" IMO.

What you may not know about a bear is that they are literally one of the quietest animals in the woods. They are EXTREMELY keen on smell, can run faster, climb faster, and kill faster than almost any other animal. It was incredibly amazing to me that they are much sneakier than deer. VERY hard to hear in the wild (has to do with paws vs. hooves).

Patrick

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I'd like to thank you guys for this thread. You are all well aware of my coming hikes through the rockies and my trip to Alaska. We all know what happens when wabbits vs bears.

and after seeing that spray work though, thats reassuring. he took off quick.

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I'd like to thank you guys for this thread. You are all well aware of my coming hikes through the rockies and my trip to Alaska. We all know what happens when wabbits vs bears.

Planning on bringing along a GoPro? :D

(j/k) :dogkeke:

Yeah, if I were doing that, the most potent bear spray I could find would be on the short list of things to bring along.

And maybe one of these:

40762.jpg

:)

oscar615

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    SE LA

I can tell you from experience that the bears in Colorado are generally as afraid of you as you are of them. They don't want any trouble either. I had many on my property over the years and a few in my garage at various times. They always took off upon seeing a human.

That being said, bear spray is a wonderful thing. And typically runs them off better than a gun. Get a holster for your spray rather than keeping it on your pack.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

FORman

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Lafayette LA
    Even though I carried a 44 mag, I always took big dogs with me when I fished in Alaska. I pretty sure on two different times, I had a bear skirt around the spot we were fishing. I never saw or heard anything, but the dogs could hear and smell something, and the direction they were focused slowly changed about 90 degrees in 10 minutes.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    Bear strength mace really works. The bear leaves and recovers with no ill feelings since it does not cause any wounds. You also spare yourself the regret of having to kill an animal. A Ruger .454 is a nice backup to the mace.

BluewaterLa

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    Slidell La
    While I do agree that wild animals are best left to be wild, and in that even animals including ones we as humans have domesticated as pets still and will have primal instincts. I also think that is a risk some full well take on for reasons of study, rehabilitation, and such is not only helpful, beneficial to us on many levels. Through the study and close interaction with the world around us, we have become more equipped to live better amongst wildlife. Observation can be accomplished in many ways. Think of the first few generations of domesticated dogs, had to begin with close interaction with primitive and wild animals, learning their behaviors first and then training the animal in a manner to co-exist peacefully.
    I can only wonder the mishaps and misfortunes of those few brave enough to try, also the general consensus of THAT shouldn't be done or attempted. Without this process we wouldn't have mans best friend.
    On the bear training.. Or bear following I think bare minimum I'd trash those undies !

Top Bottom