Beer - What do you drink?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    Can't believe so many people in Louisiana would choose to drink big box beers. With fresh local options like Abita and Covington Brewhouse, it's just amazing you guys would drink Miller and Budweiser :dunno: They put more money into their advertising than their actual beer.

I used to be on couchsurfers when I was on the southshore and had this German gal stay with me for a week to check out New Orleans and she had one taste of Abita Amber and felt like she was home in Germany. Said it was actually better than some of her favorite German beers and she wanted to take a case home with her to share with her friends and family.

El Rubio

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Ponchatoula
    I like to homebrew almost any style of beer. I don't care much for flavored beers like Purple Haze, but like to try most anything different. I'm not a big fan of any light beer, but will not turn my nose up if offered one. I tend to gravitate toward traditional European styles. I like Czech Pilsners, like Pilsner Urquell, Marzen (Ocktoberfest), & Vienna Lagers. The interesting thing about Vienna Lagers, is that most, at least what's available in the US, are made in Mexico. Beers like Negra Modelo & Dos Equis Amber are two major examples. I like to experiment by brewing something a little different that my light beer drinking friends and neighbors will hopefully like. Recently I made an all wheat stout that looked like root beer in a mug, but was a little lighter than a typical stout like Guinness. It was very easy to drink and didn't quite fill you up like a traditional stout would.

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    Can't believe so many people in Louisiana would choose to drink big box beers. With fresh local options like Abita and Covington Brewhouse, it's just amazing you guys would drink Miller and Budweiser :dunno: They put more money into their advertising than their actual beer.

I used to be on couchsurfers when I was on the southshore and had this German gal stay with me for a week to check out New Orleans and she had one taste of Abita Amber and felt like she was home in Germany. Said it was actually better than some of her favorite German beers and she wanted to take a case home with her to share with her friends and family.

Exactly right, although Amber is my least favorite of Abita, it's still better than most other beers out there. I prefer Golden, Wheat, Andygator, and of course Turbodog.

Covington's Strawberry is by far the best strawberry I've had, ever.

BTW, Covington was started by a former Abita brewmaster. Both are great, but I give the edge to Abita between the two.

I'm loving Nola Brown also. Not so big on the Blonde though.

bassicpackrat

Dopplebock Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Opelousas,LA 70570
    As my avatar sig states I love Dopplebocks, but am also a fan of most lagers and pilsners. My typical favs include:
    Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock ,
    Paulaner Salvator Doppel Bock,
    Shiner Bock,
    Michelob Amberbock,
    Ziegenbock,
    Spaten Optimator,
    Warsteiner,
    ... and on a personal note my favorite so far is Wasatch Brewery's The Devastator Double Bock (LOVE THIS STUFF!) :beer::D

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    I don't drink. I am saddened to think of responsible gun owners being involved with psychoactive substances. Be they legal or not.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Bassicpackrat, I see you and I have the same tastes in beer. I like every one of the ones you listed, not in any particular order though. The bocks and double bocks are awesome stuff as is the Spatan and Paulaner when I'm able to get them, especially on tap!! Thanks for reminding me about those other bocks out there!!
    Hey, and Odoul's aint bad stuff either if your in a non alcohol situation!!

KvichakKing

Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Walker, LA
    Alaska Amber when I can get it smuggled into LA, Abita when I can't
    attachment.php

jdaige33

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 29, 2011
    Lafayette
    I will drink any beer I get hah but i do have a favorite. My family and I went to germany last summer and me and my dad ended up in a small bar while the ladies were shopping. It ended up being the Augusitiner brauhaus. They tapped a wooden keg and gave me the first liter of their helles beer. It was the best beer I have ever tasted and we tried a lot of different beers in Germany, if you go to Munich or Germany I highly recomend trying it.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Miller Lite for mass consumption just to save money. "taste" beers change depending on whats seasonal. We have Canebrake right now since we just found it in bottles locally. Abita Strawberry is our yearly obsession though.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    Uptown, New Orleans
    In general, like I mentioned before, I love Belgian beers, specifically Trappist beers. Mmmmm. My other favorites are Eisbocks, Berliner Weiss, and when I'm in the mood, a good Rauchbier. Man, there's nothing like a Schlenkerla Urbock (smoked helles bock). Talk about a good barbecue beer.

I've been into the advanced beer scene since... 1998. I know it's hard to believe with my avatar and forum name, but it's true. ;-)

The funny thing is, once you really embrace the varied flavors of beer, it's almost impossible to go back to the American lagers like Budweiser / Miller / Coors.

One thing I can say for sure, I *hate* the flavor of beechwood in beer.

Oh, and by the way, if you're interested in reading about the various beer styles around the world, go to http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/catdex.php and read about your favorite beers. And by the way part 2, BJCP is for Beer Judge Certification Program. Yes, there are certified beer judges.

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    I will drink any beer I get hah but i do have a favorite. My family and I went to germany last summer and me and my dad ended up in a small bar while the ladies were shopping. It ended up being the Augusitiner brauhaus. They tapped a wooden keg and gave me the first liter of their helles beer. It was the best beer I have ever tasted and we tried a lot of different beers in Germany, if you go to Munich or Germany I highly recomend trying it.
    There used to be a brewery named Acadian Brewery on New Orleans and they made a beer called Helles Bock. IIRC the brewmaster was Doug Blindly (sp), and he did a damn fine job, good enough until this day I know several people that would trade their first-born for a keg of that bock.

benorth

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Out of curiosity I called a friend of mine that owns a bar and he told me Yuengling is carried by mockler. On Monday I am going to try and see if I can't get some delivered to a friend of mines store in Baton Rouge! I'll keep you Yuengling folks up to date with my finds

Ben Segrest

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Lafayette
    I'll drink almost anything; light, amber, dark. Though generally, I'm not a fan of hefeweizen. Unfortunately, I gave up drinking for lent. Actually, I quit drinking and it happens to be lent.

Top Bottom