Before modern sprays.... what was used for bug repellant in the old days?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I've been wondering what people used back when they were discovering Louisiana.... heck, even during the Civil War or up to early 1900s.

What was used? How did they deal with skeeters?

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    Lemon Grass works wonders. Just grab a hand full and mush it up in your hands and rub the juice extract on your skin. The great thing about it is it also has a pleasant smell.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    Please do not use castor oil as the one link suggested the Egyptian's used, Castor beans are deadly.. We can absorb the oil into our skin and it will make you DEAD..

The plants Are sometimes planted around the house for shade and have a stalk like a segmented tree or bamboo, but they are deadly..

Good questions though.. I use MUD if I forget sprays.. but it is bad at night when your all in bed and bud on ya.. at the camp.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I'm not opposed to DEET, I was just looking for what do I do if I'm out in the woods and forgot my spray.... are there plants or something I can do to protect myself..... What would Daniel Boone or Davey Crockett have done?

If Daniel Boone & David Crockett had access back in those days to a ThermaCELL, they'd have used one. :)

This is pretty much all I use now for skeeters & most other critters that fly and bite. They work.

I still spray the ankles, though, for the ticks.....

thermacell-camo.jpg

(Yeah, yeah.... I know....this wasn't really the OP's question. But dammitt to hell anyway- ThermaCELLs work. :p)

Last edited:

csbutton

Unreconstructed
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Beautyberry will work

My great, great grandmother taught me this one when I was little. There is a plant called beautyberry that is pretty common around here that is pretty effective. Just for fun, I used it a couple of times and it actually does work...crush up the leaves and rub them on your skin. Don't fool with the berries unless you are a rabid LSU fan because they will color your skin purple. Don't confuse it with pokeberry, which looks similar. Beautyberry kind of looks like the house/yard plant called verbina.

I read an account of a Yankee soldier at the Siege of Port Hudson who grabbed up all the beautyberry he could find and sold it to other soldiers to ward off mosquitos.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    If Daniel Boone & David Crockett had access back in those days to a ThermaCELL, they'd have used one. :)

This is pretty much all I use now for skeeters & most other critters that fly and bite. They work.

I still spray the ankles, though, for the ticks.....

thermacell-camo.jpg

(Yeah, yeah.... I know....this wasn't really the OP's question. But dammitt to hell anyway- ThermaCELLs work. :p)

I have one. Yes, they are awesome.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    That is a term I have not heard or even thought of in a looooooong time! I now remember Dad going through the house using a Flit gun with some foul smelling vapor of death...probably why my kids were born naked.

I can remember yelling "Mama get the Flit gun" then covering my head with the bed covers and listening to her spray. Then the smell. :D

Mr_Willson

rifleman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    mandeville
    funny a mosquito thread comes up, to remind me of the worst mosquito swarm of my life occurring tonight at the BZ.

today I learned that it's not a good thing to stay and shoot without bug spray after it gets dark out there....

Mr_Willson

rifleman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    mandeville
    My great, great grandmother taught me this one when I was little. There is a plant called beautyberry that is pretty common around here that is pretty effective. Just for fun, I used it a couple of times and it actually does work...crush up the leaves and rub them on your skin. Don't fool with the berries unless you are a rabid LSU fan because they will color your skin purple. Don't confuse it with pokeberry, which looks similar. Beautyberry kind of looks like the house/yard plant called verbina.

I read an account of a Yankee soldier at the Siege of Port Hudson who grabbed up all the beautyberry he could find and sold it to other soldiers to ward off mosquitos.
    oh man, port hudson was a fun reenactment.

one of these days imma have to get back with the 16th inf.

if only I had known what to look for...

Last edited:
    Top Bottom