beginner needing info

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fng

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    St. Charles Parish
    I'm looking to start reloading for 308 and 556 (for now) Ive primarily only used Fed gmm and have always been a fan of the performance of the sierra bullet. My objective is to make ammo in these 2 calibers that will perform at least as well as the gmm. Im just starting to get into this and think Ill buy a RCBS rockchucker supreme or a Redding big boss single stage press. Ill probably buy the same brand dies as the press, but before I do that, I wanted to get a manual to read through 1st to make sure I buy the right stuff the 1st time. My issue; I cannot find a sierra manual in stock anywhere. Are there other manuals that will suffice or do I need to get the sierra because I plan to use sierra bullets?? Thanks in advance for any input from you more experienced guys

Last edited:

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    Sounds like you have a great planned approach to getting started. I would recommend the lyman manual. Has a wide range of data for many bullet styles and weights. I have not shot any sierra bullets so cant help on if they make their own manual. I do however shoot noslers and have their manual but wouldnt feel like i was at risk with just the lyman. Good luck with your endeavor.

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    One thing the manuals often don't mention is the use of small-base dies for ammo loaded for use in semiauto firearms. Regular dies for use in bolt actions. Not necessarily true for all weapons, but just a problem I ran in to when I started reloading for .308 for an M1A.

Mitch Dufour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ruston
    Are you loading the 308 for ONE particular bolt action?

As for the press selection, if you are going single stage then any of the major brands should serve you well although I am partial to RCBS. Dies will cross brands, I prefer Dillon.

Develop good habits from the start as far as your procedures and and routines. Focus on the task at hand, not the t.v. or other distractions.

fng

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    St. Charles Parish
    Are you loading the 308 for ONE particular bolt action?

yes, Im reloading for 1 bolt action (308) and 1 gas gun (556) I have about 3800 rounds on a R700 w/ mike rock barrel, if/when it wears out Im going to have another installed. Gun shoots well enough for me- I also plan to reload 556 for my mk12, I shoot steel, group size only a concern while Im making my dope, Im not trying to squeeze every little bit of accuracy from this ammo-just needs to be as good as fed gmm; these are my plans.

As far as dies are concerned-a full length sizing die and a seating die for each caliber is all I need , correct?? I see some are marked "bench rest" die, etc., I dont know what that means in this context, lol...

Mitch Dufour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ruston
    If you are loading for the same Rem 700 bolt action gun, and using the brass that was already fired from that gun, you should consider the option of 'neck sizing' only, NOT full length and certainly not small base. Your brass will thank you.

As for the 5.56 - you may want to go small base dies to ensure consistent feeds. ESPECIALLY if you are using range brass or other unknown brass.

BSGA

BSGA
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Southwest,Louisiana
    If you're still looking for a manual, the best for a novice by far is the Lyman. It has tutorial stuff for all types of reloading that the others just don't provide. I still refer back to the one I've used for 40+ yrs. One of the best reloading investments you can make IMHO.

fng

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    St. Charles Parish
    If you are just getting started with no equipment or supplies,.... projectiles, powder, primers etc... you won't save any money reloading your own
    I figure the initial investment will be $$$, Im not all that concerned about the $$$ part of it. I like to shoot (alot) and even with the high price of componets, its still cheaper for me to roll my own with the amount that I shoot-plus I just enjoy doing this type of stuff

Jman1911

Louisiana Sportsman
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    Always full length size. It doesn’t affect accuracy but neck sizing will cause reliability issues. Do some Youtube research with creditable sources. Unless you have a pile of large rifle primers you may wanna get some Lapua or Peterson small primer 308 brass. They work great! Pm me if you have any questions as I’m happy to help.

Jman1911

Louisiana Sportsman
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    I figure the initial investment will be $$$, Im not all that concerned about the $$$ part of it. I like to shoot (alot) and even with the high price of componets, its still cheaper for me to roll my own with the amount that I shoot-plus I just enjoy doing this type of stuff
    If $ isn’t an option go see my Bryan at Louisiana Gun & Reloading and get a Forster Coax! Tell him Jay Miller sent you!

revbc

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    Saint Francisville
    Another option for a press is the MEC Marksman. It is similar to the principle of the Coax, but in a different way. The Coax floats the die to get the best concentricity of bullet to brass reducing bullet runout. The MEC Marksman floats the bullet case to achieve the same. I went from a standard single stage press to the Marksman and love it. Cheaper than the Coax. The Coax is a fine press, I just like MEC's thinking here. They waited a long time to get into the rifle/pistol reloading arena, they were and are the go to people for shotgun reloading.

Jman1911

Louisiana Sportsman
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    Another option for a press is the MEC Marksman. It is similar to the principle of the Coax, but in a different way. The Coax floats the die to get the best concentricity of bullet to brass reducing bullet runout. The MEC Marksman floats the bullet case to achieve the same. I went from a standard single stage press to the Marksman and love it. Cheaper than the Coax. The Coax is a fine press, I just like MEC's thinking here. They waited a long time to get into the rifle/pistol reloading arena, they were and are the go to people for shotgun reloading.
    From what I’ve heard ( I could be wrong) they don’t warranty their products but the Mec is supposed to be really good!

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    If you are just getting started with no equipment or supplies,.... projectiles, powder, primers etc... you won't save any money reloading your own
    This is what’s been stopping me the past couple years. I keep pricing out a basis setup and the math isn’t adding up. Seems it’s about the same if not cheaper to just buy quality factory ammo. I like to shoot every weekend. Lately that hasn’t been happening but one of my local ranges is also closed and for me it’s the closest and most convenient to shoot at. I’d say on average this past year I went at least every 3 weeks.

I still may get into it just to have the ability to do it but the money saving part seems nonexistent in today’s economy.

Jman1911

Louisiana Sportsman
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    This is what’s been stopping me the past couple years. I keep pricing out a basis setup and the math isn’t adding up. Seems it’s about the same if not cheaper to just buy quality factory ammo.

I still may get into it just to have the ability to do it but the money saving part seems nonexistent in today’s economy.
    There is no money savings in reloading to be gained… only the end result of high quality ( much better than factory) ammo and enjoyment of a fulfilling hobby.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    When i got into loading it was back around 2008 when i couldnt find 270wsm or 444 ammo. At the time you could buy 1k primers for $34 a lb of powder was $30-40 depending the flavor. A box of 50 nosler bullets was about $28 so i could load 100 rounds of 270wsm for around $90. I started loading 9mm and 223 mainly along with my hunting ammo. 9mm cost me just over $100/1k and 223 was about $160/1k. At the time that was very little savings for the 9mm. Apx 50% savings on 223 but the 270wsm was $65/box of 20 so the first 125 or so rds paid for my old rock chucker setup. The wsm ammo hasnt gotten any cheaper these days but components have gone way up. I stocked up pretty well so havent bout primers in quite some time and i now probably have enough powder to last my lifetime of hunting. Cant say id get into it if i was starting out now unless i was shooting ling range or competitivly. Ive got 4 presses on my bench though and pretty decent piles of components so im in it for the ling haul at this point.

falshooter

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Ponchatoula/Hammond
    I save a bundle only cause I stocked up long ago

I have supplies from from way back when. Just started loading some Hornady XTPHP 200grn. 45acp. Price on the box of 100 is $9.95.
    230gr. Speer gold dot for $11.95 a 100. If I remember right I bought about 10 boxes of each
    Buddy from years back (around 1980) gave me a Rockchucker Jr press when his shed burned down that we used to load in.
    Had a member of another forum years back cleaning out his stash and got 7500 rds of Berrys 230fmj .45 for next to nothing .
    A few years back I started casting and got .458molds in 405, 500 and 535grn for my 45-70....got 6 cavity molds , 230gr and 255grn. for .45acp and 45lc. I bought some of the HyTek coating and do it myself so don't have to mess with lubing.
    Last time I bought powder it was far less than $20 lb. Primers the same

Wheel weights when they were mostly lead and after the last Hurricane I picked up 100 lb of roof vent lead that was headed to the landfill for nothing.

AND save all your brass and get range pickup for nothing

Point of this is.... look out for people getting out the game.
    You'll save a bundle

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LazrBeam
    Top Bottom