Being down-range from a suppressed weapon

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I never have been (Hope to never be...) nor have I taken the time to record it. However, this shows how effective a suppressor is at obscuring shooter position. It really put things in perspective for me:

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Meh, that video was pretty close to worthless, imo.

This is about like people who judge which suppressor quiets better off of youtube videos. It's a shitty, shitty, shitty way to make a point and you can't know ANYTHING about sound from a shitty camera taking a shitty video and uploading it to a service known for shitty compression and listening to it on a computer which probably has shitty speakers (most of us, anyways)

I honestly couldn't tell anything useful from the before-can and after-can.

And yea, that is a bit of a safety faux-pas putting a can onto a live gun.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Eh. I don't think it's ever a good idea to make muzzle modifications with a live round in the chamber.

Or to pull of perfectly good ear-pro when shooting supersonic. Or any other number of things he did. But the point of the video wasn't weapon handling competency.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Meh, that video was pretty close to worthless, imo.

This is about like people who judge which suppressor quiets better off of youtube videos. It's a shitty, shitty, shitty way to make a point and you can't know ANYTHING about sound from a shitty camera taking a shitty video and uploading it to a service known for shitty compression and listening to it on a computer which probably has shitty speakers (most of us, anyways)

I honestly couldn't tell anything useful from the before-can and after-can.

And yea, that is a bit of a safety faux-pas putting a can onto a live gun.

Unless you're listening on an Atari, it's a HUGE difference in signature. Now granted, there very well may have been sound from the gunshot not picked up when suppressed, for sure, but it was a massive difference to my ears. The only way to get a better feel for it is to actually be down range, but I don't know of any ranges around where I live with pits.

sonanth

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    New Iberia, LA
    What surprised me most about suppressed weapons is how loud bullets hitting stuff sounds. Without a can, the muzzle blast drowns impact sound out.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Unless you're listening on an Atari.
    Not far off. :rofl:

I can hear a difference, I'm just saying that the sound played over speakers that don't even get a simple stereo effect from a youtube video are going to be wildly different than the actual experience of hearing suppressed vs unsuppressed, downrange or otherwise.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Not far off. :rofl:

I can hear a difference, I'm just saying that the sound played over speakers that don't even get a simple stereo effect from a youtube video are going to be wildly different than the actual experience of hearing suppressed vs unsuppressed, downrange or otherwise.

I'm certain you are right. In one I heard the gunshot, in other I couldn't hear it at all. While different, it still beautifully illustrates the phenomena of ballistic crack overshadowing weapon signature.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    A .223, even wearing a can is not a "quiet" weapon. It certainly makes it more comfortable to be around, but it does little IMO to mask the signature or location of the shooter.

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    My buddy had a 338 whisper crack barrel suppressed, with subsonic loads the bullet impact was louder then the shot! It was awesome

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    A .223, even wearing a can is not a "quiet" weapon. It certainly makes it more comfortable to be around, but it does little IMO to mask the signature or location of the shooter.

I've not been down-range from one, but the ballistic crack is a lot louder than the weapon's report, just going by "the numbers", and this video, as crappy as it is bears that out. I have heard from guys who have been down-range from suppressed 5.56, and the report seemed to come from "everywhere".

Walterg

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'm not sure why you are saying the gun was loaded? After he attaches the suppressor you can see him put the magaizine in the mag well and hear the bolt slam forward. You can also see him reach for the bolt release. Looks to me like the gun was unloaded when he attached the suppressor.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    I'm not sure why you are saying the gun was loaded? After he attaches the suppressor you can see him put the magaizine in the mag well and hear the bolt slam forward. You can also see him reach for the bolt release. Looks to me like the gun was unloaded when he attached the suppressor.
    I don't see him doing any of that.

0:25 firing
    0:28 walking back to bench
    0:38 taking out mag
    0:41 screwing on the can
    0:46 putting in mag
    0:51 firing

Never saw him hit the ping pong paddle after putting on the can - in fact it was pretty clear all he did was take his firing hand from the can to the pistol grip without interruption or hesitation- so there's no way he fired until bolt-lock on the previous mag, since the bolt was closed when he inserted the new mag. There's also no way he cleared the gun since he never pulled on the charging handle at any time in that sequence.

Don't really care either way - his hand, not mind, and the topic is more to do with the sound points.

Walterg

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    While he is shouldering the gun you can hear the bolt slam shut. It's at 0:49.

He must of emptied the first mag and the bolt locked back on its own so he didn't have to mess with the charging handle.

Not to start an argument or anything just don't see what you see in the video.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    While he is shouldering the gun you can hear the bolt slam shut. It's at 0:49.

He must of emptied the first mag and the bolt locked back on its own so he didn't have to mess with the charging handle.

Not to start an argument or anything just don't see what you see in the video.
    Actually, I forget about some of the **** people bolt on their guns, like the Magpul bolt release thing that ends up inside the trigger guard. I was looking for hand-movement to the ping pong paddle when it isn't even needed if he has some bolt-on ****. Never mind me.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    So...um...back to the original point. I found it very revealing how the gunshot itself is not audible once the can is in place. Granted, as it has been pointed out, the camera may well be to blame, but regardless, the sonic crack certainly drowns it out!

Top Bottom