Benelli Montefeltro purchased.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tbone

Threadender
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well, I just bought a Benelli Montefeltro.
    I looked at the SBE II and it was about $1500 or so. Too much.
    I looked at the M2 and it was about $1200 or so. Too much.
    I found a Montefeltro that was discounted and since they only had the display model that had been handled by everybody I got an additional 10% off. Final total with taxes was $910. Just right.
    I'm still appalled that I have to pay $900 for a shotgun. Apparently you have guessed that I haven't bought a shotgun for about 25 or 30 years.
    I will be trying to wear it out in the upcoming duck season and will report any malfunctions or gripes about performance.

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    You bought a Benelli!! You won't have any problems

If I'm not mistaken the Montefeltro doesn't come with the comfort tech stock, the M2 does, I've shot the Montefeltro and it hurts on both ends, my M2 not so much, it's worth the extra $300, to me

Enjoy that SG, you made a good buy

CHW2021

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Abita Springs
    I hate to sound unsympathetic, but you bought a Cadillac and paid a cadillac price. There are dozens of guns that will function as well and as long as the Benelli, but they aren't Benelli's.

Very good reputation and a nicely made product that should outlast your children; in my opinion. Do allow a bit of leeway for break in on the gun, or better yet; spend some time shooting skeet or sporting clays to get used to the gun. Have fun and good luck with the ducks.

tbone

Threadender
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the confirmation on the choice of a Benelli.
    I considered the M2 but decided to save the $300 or more and pay the other price.
    I am moving from one recoil operated gun, Browning A-5, to another recoil operated gun. the Browning had a little kick to it and my backup gun that I bought many years ago as a primary gun, Remington 870 Express, had a lot of kick so I am used to that. When the ducks are landing the kick is not felt.
    One question has already arisen. Having no previous hands on experience with Benelli, how much force does it take to remove the bolt handle in order to remove the bolt from the receiver?
    I pulled and pulled and it is still in. I really wanted to clean whatever manufacturing fluids might be remaining in the bolt and receiver before putting the gun to use.

tbone

Threadender
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A Google search revealed that Benelli recommends tying a shoelace or string around the handle and using a lot of force even though their manual with the gun says to "give it a little tug".

Edit: Update

The string worked although I didn't tie it to the handle and it flew across the room. I recommend tying it.

Last edited:

CHW2021

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Abita Springs
    LMAO, I recently launched a A-5 barrel so I understand the feeling.

You should have screw in chokes, put a tad of antisieze on the threads before you shoot it a bunch to keep tubes from tightening.

Last edited:

tbone

Threadender
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    First duck hunt today.
    Benelli Monty ate all Winchester 3" drylock steel shot.
    4 other shotguns on hunt.
    One Remington Versa-Max ate all 3" drylock steel shot.
    One Remington Versa-Max had malfuntions with 3" Kent hevishot. Two poof shots with one leaving the wad sticking halfway out of the choke tube.
    One Beretta had two failure to fire events with 3" Kent steel shot. The firing pin made dents in the primers with no ignition.
    One Browning BPS failed to remove all shells from chamber after the first shot with estate 3" steel shot. It was an older BPS that had been used a lot and maybe not ever cleaned with a chamber brush. The ejector looked fine. Sharp edges with no appreciable wear.

tbone

Threadender
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The Remington versamax owner had to return the Kent 3" steel shot and was sent new shells.
    I had the Beretta owner bring his gun to me and cleaned out the crud in the bolt that was preventing the firing pin from moving unrestricted. He had never removed the firing pin and was only spraying oil into the bolt.
    The Remington 870 owner ordered a new extractor and I changed it out for him. It has worked since then.
    My Benelli has worked flawlessly with both 3 inch Winchester #3's and 2 3/4 Winchester #6's every hunt. I haven't had any malfunctions all season.
    Of course, there are only canvasbacks on Toledo main lake and the limit is one so I kill one every day. I must say that these are pretty stupid ducks. They swim right up to you if you just wait.
    I have never killed canvasbacks before. I have been cooking them in an oven roasting bag and I must say that they taste better than any other duck that I have ever eaten. The fat is white and they are the most mild duck flavor I have ever eaten.
    I think I am going to like it here.

trigger643

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Kingwood
    Back when I bought my Montefeltro they were about $600. Great Gun! Congrats on your purchase.

dang I'm old... so is my Montefeltro... note the importer. When Benelli first started importing back in the 80's, they piggy backed off an unlikely manufacturer that had existing US distribution channels.

jvr

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 29, 2013
    new orleans
    i own 3 m1 sbe1 and m4. All were expensive in the day. m1 is quite old and thousands of rounds through it (my favorite). Over the decades of use you will find it was a great investment. As for removing the bolt; I have not encountered your problem. All the pins come out by hand.

1 duck limit; ouch!

tbone

Threadender
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Made a wood duck hunt yesterday evening after work. Broke out the Kent 3" #4's instead of the usual 2 3/4" #6's I usually shoot for wood ducks. The gun would not cycle the Kents. It was a one shot gun. First round would fire and it would leave it in the receiver with the one from the magazine underneath. I tried it several times. It had been cycling Winchester Drylock and Supreme 3" #3's fine. More experimentation will have to be done. I will not abide with a one shot semi-auto duck gun.
    Plus, the pretty plastic plug with the script "M" for Montefeltro in the hole at the end of the pistol grip on the stock fell out at some point somewhere in 2 ft. of water.
    The one shot action cost me a limit of wood ducks.

Ranslem9849

Rating - 99%
    103   1   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    Abita Springs
    Love the Benelli's .
    I have the M2 in 12 and 20 gauge, the 12 has the max4 camo and the 20 has the max5.
    Both are great guns, I prefer the 20 for some reason.

Congrats on the purchase .

Last edited:

constant243

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2015
    prairieville, la
    this is a great thread. I'm considering the SBE2, but like you, I am not too thrilled about the price. Any comparisons between the Monty and the SBE 2? Wonder it they are still available at some retailers?

tbone

Threadender
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    As far as I know from the research I did, the only difference between the Mont and the SBE is a half inch of shotgun shell. The SBE shoots 2 3/4 to 3 1/2 inch and the Monte shoots 2 3/4 to 3 inch. The inertia operated bolt is the same in both guns.
    I didn't feel the need to shoot 3 1/2 inch shells at anything and saved myself about $300.
    I only found the gun in person at Dick's in Shreveport and Bass Pro Shop in Shreveport. No one else had any Montefeltros on the shelf.
    And, I'm a blued metal, walnut person. I don't own any "plastic" hunting guns.
    If I had settled on the SBE, I would have looked for a used one with a price around what the Montefeltro came in at.

constant243

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2015
    prairieville, la
    Same here. No need for 3 1/2. I'm still up in the air about the camo vs wood and blue. I like both. I'm not so hard on guns anymore like I was in my earlier days so the synthetic is less appealing and I personally think the blue and wood will hold value over the long haul.....just a guess.

Top Bottom