Benjamin Trail NP.....Reviews?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mod1911a

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2014
    Covington, LA
    Been looking at the Benjamin Trail NP XL in .177. I see Amazon has is with a scope for $251. Any owner-opinions out there? Any better than Gamos in the same price range (or even the cheaper Gamos)?
    The Barra 1200G "dual barrel" got a great review on Air Gun Detectives review.

Bought my first spring air a while back for my grandson---A Crosman Tyro in .177; a youth type gun with stock spacers. Accurate as hell and powerful too (and freakin $89). Looking to step up to something a little more powerful but stay .177 for noise level.

In addition to opinions on the Trail, does anyone know if Crosman/Benjamin offers a model with similar action and performance to the Trail, but comes with open sights as well?

Thanks in advance for any input on the Benjamin Trail.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    167   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    In the world of air guns I tend to measure everything from the Diana/RWS bunch. Not that they’re the do all/end all, but for the money, they’re a nice standard. A decent rifle that doesn’t require you to drop big money and more on a scuba tank or spend all day hand pumping ahead for 25 shots, lol. For the money, I’ve been happy with the Benjamin. The one you’re looking at is a very decent starter package. They are not the brute lead slingers that the magnum spring piston guns are, especially in cold weather, but they are built fairly tough and tend to last. I find them to be better than most of the Gammo offerings. My only suggestion would be to consider the .22 cal over the 1.77. If you ever use it for dispatching game or vermin, you’ll immediately understand why. I find the heavier pellets are more effective and generally more accurate and I’m a big fan of the “crow magnum”.
    I have shot the alloy pellets, I’ve tried dieseling in one older spring piston gun, and I’ve found that sending them faster is not always better. Lastly, break in is apparently not the same with a nitro piston rifle as it is with a spring piston, but they still have a break in period. They will become more consistent after you run a tin of pellets through them and you should try a variety in the gun to see what performs best.
    They’re usually good for thousands of shots and so cheap to shoot. I believe every shooter would benefit from a decent air gun.

mod1911a

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2014
    Covington, LA
    In the world of air guns I tend to measure everything from the Diana/RWS bunch. Not that they’re the do all/end all, but for the money, they’re a nice standard. A decent rifle that doesn’t require you to drop big money and more on a scuba tank or spend all day hand pumping ahead for 25 shots, lol. For the money, I’ve been happy with the Benjamin. The one you’re looking at is a very decent starter package. They are not the brute lead slingers that the magnum spring piston guns are, especially in cold weather, but they are built fairly tough and tend to last. I find them to be better than most of the Gammo offerings. My only suggestion would be to consider the .22 cal over the 1.77. If you ever use it for dispatching game or vermin, you’ll immediately understand why. I find the heavier pellets are more effective and generally more accurate and I’m a big fan of the “crow magnum”.
    I have shot the alloy pellets, I’ve tried dieseling in one older spring piston gun, and I’ve found that sending them faster is not always better. Lastly, break in is apparently not the same with a nitro piston rifle as it is with a spring piston, but they still have a break in period. They will become more consistent after you run a tin of pellets through them and you should try a variety in the gun to see what performs best.
    They’re usually good for thousands of shots and so cheap to shoot. I believe every shooter would benefit from a decent air gun.
    Greatly appreciate the input, Sir Magdump. Always enjoy your posts. Thanks for taking the time.
    Been poring over reviews and just noticed that the $251 Benjamin Trail NP I saw on Amazon isn't the "XL"; it's the standard Trail. The XL is at $320.
    I hear ya on the .177 vs the .22. But while I don't have neighbors right on top of me, I'd still like to keep the noise down (air guns are illegal inside Covington). I have a 5mm Benjamin Sheridan Silver Streak and it's loud.
    I've dispatched 3 squirrels with that little Crosman .177 I mentioned in my original post--(2) at about 20-25yds totally incapacitating them, and (1) at 33yds. The latter shot was a spine hit and immediately turned him into a paraplegic. And those were with the on-board fiber optic open sights. So I feel the .177 with heavy for caliber pellets would do me.
    Man, I'm still considering that Barra I mentioned. A licensed Beeman design.
    ()
    Thanks again! The Trail is still up for consideration.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    If it’s a noise issue, the .177 is likely the loudest of the two, if there’s even a difference. I wouldn’t consider mine very loud. Definitely not very identifiable.
    I'd agree with this. If someone is going to identify that an air rifle is an "air rifle" and not a loud thump, they're going to figure it out for both a .22 and a .177.

mod1911a

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2014
    Covington, LA
    I'd agree with this. If someone is going to identify that an air rifle is an "air rifle" and not a loud thump, they're going to figure it out for both a .22 and a .177.
    Guess I could sum up my concern with the volume of a .22 gun with this:

My only current air rifle is that Benjamin Sheridan 20cal pump I mentioned earlier. It puts out a pretty loud report. If I go out to shoot it and my wife doesn't see me go out the door with it; as soon as I start, she comes outside and says she heard me. So then I'm concerned with annoying the neighbors. When I got the little Crosman Tyro springer I mentioned (in .177), I was amazed how quiet it is. And it's no slouch. Even w/o a chronograph, I'm guessing it's putting out about 600fps. 8gr pellets fired from 50ft at a steel spinner flatten out to a pancake and it'll go through a weathered, cedar fence board at 40ft.

So, based on all of the above, I assumed a .177 springer or nitro piston would be a LOT quieter compared to a .22. Don't want a neighbor getting edgy thinking, "I hope he's not shooting toward me". Even though our houses are 100ft apart, people may be out in their yards when I'm shooting. I know they won't call the cops, but still.

I've got a 1969 vintage Benjamin .22 pump pistol and it's Loud. I also have a Crosman pump pistol in .177 and a Colt/Umarex (1911) Co2 in .177 and they're also loud. Granted, their pistols.

Thanks again guys for the discussion. I appreciate the interest.
    I'll probably go for the larger .22.

Rodog

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 29, 2022
    Metairie
    I have one in 22(black synthetic). I think the seal needs to be replaced. Won't shoot the pellet out. I only put 100 rounds or so through it. Bought it over ten years ago lol...

mod1911a

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2014
    Covington, LA
    I have one in 22(black synthetic). I think the seal needs to be replaced. Won't shoot the pellet out. I only put 100 rounds or so through it. Bought it over ten years ago lol...
    I'm assuming you're referring to the Benjamin Trail (which is what my original post was about). I appreciate your input. Sounds like your Trail has a shortcoming.
    I've since bought the Barra 1200G dual barrel NP gun--received it Thursday. Saw that very favorable review on Airgun Detectives and decided to try it. Several reviews I saw on the Trail complained about the trashy "Crosman" trigger.
    The Barra was extremely loud on the first shot through the .177 barrel, which the manual says is dieseling caused by oil in the compression chamber and could take up to a tin of pellets to quiet down. (my ears rang for 12 hours).
    Emailed Barra for extra assurance that it was normal and they said not to worry, but if I had any problems let them know. They answered my email the same day!
    Had to move into my garage for a few more break-in shots and it is calming down. The .22 barrel is quieter. Both calibers, at 10ft, will put a pellet straight through a 7/8" cedar plank and bury into a pine 4x4 placed behind.
    Listed price on their site was $160 for the camo stock and I got an additional 10% off for being a first-time buyer.
    Thanks to all for the input. I'll post more on the Barra later.

GrayGhost+

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2024
    Louisiana
    I have the .22 Benjamin NP.
    As others noted, break-in is a thing. I really went through a tin of two until things settled down. After trying a handful of different pellets, I found that it heavily favors the RWS flavors.
    One thing to note: towards the end of the break-in period, I was concentrating on getting the accuracy dialed in, but was having issues. Ultimately, I found that the scope was slipping inside the rings due to recoil. I pulled everything apart, added a few drops of loctite to everything as I remounted the scope, no more issues. It now shoots very accurately and consistent.

Top Bottom