Beretta Xtrema, not cycling light loads

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turkish

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Last dove season, about halfway thru the shoot, my Xtrema began failing to cycle Winchester 1 1/8oz, 1200fps 2 3/4" shells. After a brief inspection, cleaning (was quite clean already), I put it up 'til turkey season. Well this dove season, it only cycled 2 out of about 35 shots with the same shells. Earlier in it's life it, this gun cycled these loads fine and has only a total of about 500 rounds thru it now.

The gun is very clean and the gas exhaust ports in the bottom of the barrel are completely free. Does anyone know much about these guns to suggest something else to check or try? Would there be any reason why a different brand of similar shells would behave better? Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

turkish

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Yeah. All seems clean and functioning normally when disassembled.

Any gun shops in the BR area that I could count on to help me with the problem?

EJAIII

Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    You're not the first to experience this problem. Also, some times the hammer needs to be adjusted. If I were you, I'd email the Beretta service center and ask what their thoughts are. They're good about responding to email (during the week). Beretta contracts the servicing out, and no longer works on guns in -house. Google them up....I did. Good luck, and please post what solution you might acquire.

Uncle John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2010
    Leesville Louisiana
    Take your Beretta down to the local gun shop and trade it in on a nice Remington, Browning, Benelli or Winchester, one of them will fit you even better than the Beretta. Thats what I did, cause I had the same problem in the 1980s and it still hasn't changed. I always kid the Duck Commander's statement about all you need in a shotgun is Boom, Boom, Boom. When it doesnt do that get rid of it.

Now there is one other way, if you cant part with the Beretta. Send it to Cajun Cryogenics and there will be a lot of operational improvement. Considering it turned a Marlin Modle 60 22 into a darn near target rifle and two of my shotguns into top performers maybe the process will help the Beretta. It cost $75 well spent the information is in the Sponsor forum.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Benelli cryo's their premier shotguns for a reason, I suppose. That's another vote of confidence from a very educated and experienced source.

You all are really going to make me send a bunch of stuff of to the deep freeze, aren't ya?

Uncle John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2010
    Leesville Louisiana
    The only trouble I ever had since 1966 with my Remington Modle 1100 was I had to replace two firing pins and get the gas ports cleaned out...Pop up at Natchitoches did it for me about ten years ago. I have a fully restored set of Browning A-5s in 12 and 20 Romulus and Remus, the 1100 is fully cryoed and along with the Brownings go Boom,Boom, Boom every time. In this case I dont think it is the shell in any of the guns, a piston or a clogged gas port may be it.

I once had a little trouble with Winchester 1 oz generic Dove loads, I switched to PMC loads and got some of the best operation and patterns I ever got from a field load. I dont think they make them anymore. I never had any problems with Federal or Remington loads for Dove and Quail, however all brands have fluctuated over the years as far as quality. Right now if I were going bird hunting it would be Federal shells, if it were turkey it would be Nitro Company Ammunition shells, and if it were buckshot it would be Winchester.

On the cryogenics subject, we are blessed with David Minchew Cajun Cryogenics in Baton Rouge as the best cryo man in the country. If a cryoed shotgun malfunctions it aint the gun....

Top Bottom