Best caliber and rifle for a youth hunter

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    My oldest daughter and my wife have both killed with 7mm-08s. My oldest has killed quite a few. My youngest doesnt get into hunting much but does shoot and handles the 7-08 well. I have an older marlin youth model and a savage axis2 compact. I prefer the savage hands down. Has removable mag and pretty decent trigger (accutrigger) the marlin is a blind mag and even though my daughter has been hunting for 6 years now and the last 2 on her own i still check to make sure she didnt rack another round in after ejecting her loaded round at the end of a hunt. 50% of the kills have been drt the others only ran a very short distance and were easy to track. Im shooting corelokts in one and winchester dear season in the other. When i have time to develop loads for them i plan to swap over to some noslers, hopefully both rifles like them.

I started both mine on .22 rifles with a scope before ever letting them shoot the bigger rounds. When they were able to consistantly group with the 22s we moved to the bigger stuff. Both of my daughters out shoot the majority of the men in our deer lease.

Dranrab

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2015
    Metairie
    As far as caliber goes, how old is your child and do they have any experience at all with shooting rifles. Have they ever shot any centerfire rifle from 243 on up?

As far as which rifle, what is your budget? What size is your child right now?

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    30-30 Winchester. My son killed a doe at over 100 yards last week. Very low recoil, not very loud, and does the job. This is his third deer in a row with a 30-30. Tried 223, 350 legend, and 6.5 credmoore before. He did not like any of those and missed a lot of deer because of recoil senitivity or how loud they are.

kpm

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    Savage 7mm08 youth. When I take my son we only bring his gun. I have killed a deer with it and he has killed 3. Light, compact and effective. When he was smaller around 7 I used the hornady lite rounds but now he uses the 139 grain I believe. I really like the gun and he is accurate with it so that’s what matters. Good luck.

falshooter

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Ponchatoula/Hammond
    30-30 Winchester. My son killed a doe at over 100 yards last week. Very low recoil, not very loud, and does the job. This is his third deer in a row with a 30-30. Tried 223, 350 legend, and 6.5 credmoore before. He did not like any of those and missed a lot of deer because of recoil senitivity or how loud they are.
    Long Rant..

"Not Very Loud"

When I read something like this , I cringe...
    My hearing was fine for the majority of my life ,then about 15 years back I started having problems . Came on kinda suddenly. Wife started telling me to turn the TV down. Then really couldn't understand people unless they were talking directly at my face.
    All you Dads.... you really need to educate yourself and your children on hearing loss from gunfire. How many times I've heard....I've been shooting since I was a kid and my hears are fine, and just shake my head. It's gonna roll up on you like it did me and others I know.
    There are plenty of electronic muffs , over the ear and in the ear for sale. They actually enhance you ability to hear while hunting and protect your ears when firing. Do yourself and your children a favor and wear them. There's no logical excuse to justify not wearing hearing protection. This is 2024 not 1964 when I started to shoot a lot and people were ignorant of the dangers
    It ain't no fun going deaf.
    Even with some of the best hearing aids on the market, my social life has changed for the worse. Can't go out to eat, movies , anywhere groups of people are talking cause all you hear is.. everyone.. talking. No way to isolate the different voices. I can use certain cell phones , but landlines are useless. I have to wear a $300 set of headphones just to watch tv now. If my wife passes before me , I'll have to get a big guard dog to sleep at night to warn me of any noises,, cause now when there are unusual noises she alerts me to check. I can't hear sh&t at night after taking them out

The internet has dozens of websites to explain how gunfire is some of the most dangerous type of exposure out there.

You and anyone else out there can continue to ignore the danger, but that don't mean is ain't real.

You know why it's "Not Very Loud"

cause the damage has already started

Rant Off

BTW.... 30-30 Is an excellent 150 yd deer rifle

Last edited:

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    Kids are usually more afraid of the boom than the recoil. You would be surprised how big of a caliber than shoot well with a suppressor

vr1967

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Liberty, MS
    Where in LA are you at? If around the BR area (I live across the line in MS, but work near BR) I have a .243 youth 700 y’all can handle and shoot to see if something like that would work. Best friend I believe still has a 7-08 compact that he’d let y’all handle/shoot. Got a few 30-30s and 38/357 lever guns too. Could probably round up a few other rounds/rifles to try also, before just going out and buying something.

As to caliber, I won’t get in that debate, as something is just as dead from a well placed .22lr round as a well placed .338L round.

I’d try to handle something before just running out and buying something that may or may not fit the child.

Wife killed this one about 10 years ago, 50-55 yards with a Rossi 92 16” barrel loaded with 158 gr .38 special. Dropped it in it’s tracks. Her first deer.

IMG_7874.jpeg

IMG_7875.jpeg

ChiefShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Both of my kids shot 7mm-08, and my wife still uses hers for rifle season, along with .350 legend for primitive. I have killed several deer with her rifle.recommend
    I highly recommend 7mm-08 as well. I started 2 kids on this with a Savage Axis. It is a tack driver. Most of the deer shot with it dropped and did not run. I also recommend the low recoil rounds. Recoil is significantly less than a .243.

Good luck

falshooter

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Ponchatoula/Hammond

Bolt Head

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2023
    Alexandria
    Long Rant..

"Not Very Loud"

When I read something like this , I cringe...
    My hearing was fine for the majority of my life ,then about 15 years back I started having problems . Came on kinda suddenly. Wife started telling me to turn the TV down. Then really couldn't understand people unless they were talking directly at my face.
    All you Dads.... you really need to educate yourself and your children on hearing loss from gunfire. How many times I've heard....I've been shooting since I was a kid and my hears are fine, and just shake my head. It's gonna roll up on you like it did me and others I know.
    There are plenty of electronic muffs , over the ear and in the ear for sale. They actually enhance you ability to hear while hunting and protect your ears when firing. Do yourself and your children a favor and wear them. There's no logical excuse to justify not wearing hearing protection. This is 2024 not 1964 when I started to shoot a lot and people were ignorant of the dangers
    It ain't no fun going deaf.
    Even with some of the best hearing aids on the market, my social life has changed for the worse. Can't go out to eat, movies , anywhere groups of people are talking cause all you hear is.. everyone.. talking. No way to isolate the different voices. I can use certain cell phones , but landlines are useless. I have to wear a $300 set of headphones just to watch tv now. If my wife passes before me , I'll have to get a big guard dog to sleep at night to warn me of any noises,, cause now when there are unusual noises she alerts me to check. I can't hear sh&t at night after taking them out

The internet has dozens of websites to explain how gunfire is some of the most dangerous type of exposure out there.

You and anyone else out there can continue to ignore the danger, but that don't mean is ain't real.

You know why it's "Not Very Loud"

cause the damage has already started

Rant Off

BTW.... 30-30 Is an excellent 150 yd deer rifle
    You are absolutely correct. Even handgun cartridges are very hard on eardrums. It doesn't even take rifle rounds, which are much worse.

My hearing is somewhat degraded and I wear hearing protection for many activities, including shooting. Loud music and power tools have contributed most to f*****g my hearing up, I believe.

falshooter

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Ponchatoula/Hammond
    I have a decibel meter. I just shot 5 rds of CCI mini mags 36gr hp. Ruger American with 18"barrel. Next to my left ear an avg of 87 db.
    Above 85db can cause damage to your hearing...
    I live in a semi rural area on a dead end rd. The background reading was 42-45db

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    I don’t have no db reader but I know I can be in the back about 250 yards and shoot a deer with my suppressed subsonic 45-70 and my wife sitting outside on the porch can not hear it, nor can my buddy/neighbor who’s hunting 300yrds away…. I call that quiet, lol

Bolt Head

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2023
    Alexandria
    7mm-08 is a necked down 308. Think of a 308 case necked down to a 274 bullet. Great caliber for youth and adult. Ammo is reasonably priced and available. Decent priced kid gun....Ruger American. Buy once and they will shoot it all their life. Tikka.
    Have both, very accurate. Ruger makes great option if they are a lefty. Adult or kid - the caliber works fine.
    Just a simple correction:

.284" bullet in the 7mm-08

Bolt Head

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2023
    Alexandria
    Good chart that gives a recoil by pounds per caliber.. kinda gives a good idea

Cool to observe!

I read down to the point it compared common light-recoiling cartridges for deer. He mentioned both the .270 Win. and the .30-06 SPRG, with the .30-06 producing some 4 pounds of recoil over the .270, but no mention of bullet weight. They'd most likely be identical with a 150 gr. bullet with a powder charge producing the same pressure, IMO.

Same with the .35 Whelen in the chart. That's a .30-06 case toting a .358" bullet. Heavy. More recoil.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    .270 Win, .25-06, and .30-06 were mentioned and are great deer cartridges. OP stated shots would be 150 yards and under and rifle for a youth hunter. Those long action cartridges would not be needed for that distance on deer, and long actions mean more weight and bigger guns (relatively speaking of course).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adgram1013
    Top Bottom