Best concealed carry options for women?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2tix2gunshow

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 15, 2020
    Baton Rouge
    Smith Wesson EZ in 380, no thumb safety. SKU 180023.

In general, weaker handed shooters do not want to rack a difficult slide, do not want an 11# trigger, do not want 9mm recoil, and will screw up the thumb safety in a draw class. The grip safety and a quality holster will provide peace of mind.

This is the only answer for the test, your mileage will not vary.

Toddkay

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2023
    New Orleans
    That was the first handgun I purchased. S&W is a brand I trust. 380 was a good caliber for me to learn basic basics of handgun shooting while still being adequate for home defense if it ended up being the only gun I bought.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    One of the most common issues I have seen with women is difficulty racking the slide on a pistol. I think the Walther CCP .380 has really light slide pull that women tend to like. Or look at revolvers...
    I brought my wife to Academy one day and they had a very experienced woman behind the counter that took the time to let her handle and rack the different pistols till she found one that she likes and can operate good. She picked the G42, while I'm NOT a Glock fan myself, the gun isn't for me so she bought it and likes it.

SVT Bansheeman

No more laughing dog
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lockport, LA
    What are some of your/your wife’s favorite handguns for concealed carry? Trying to weigh the options for what to get my wife.
    Andy Messina who does classes is who I'd contact. He can go gun shopping with her and see what's best for her.

I took three of his 1 on 1 classes and he is great! After witnessing his work, there is no way I'd take my wife gun shopping without him. He is on Facebook and also on these forums.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    167   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I married my wife when she was already set in her ways. So it was a bit of a challenge to convince her to retire the 5 shot 32 long detective special that her dad gave her when she left for college. But, I was up to the challenge. I took her shooting a few times out in private with every conceivable possibility I owned and she has now confiscated 2 of my pistols and also has her own 20ga shotty for around the house. She carries my H&K USP Compact. She thinks I forgot about the Glock 19 she keeps in that stupid little finger bang safe. I did one of the smartest and dumbest things ever and I find great peace knowing she’s got a fighting chance if trouble finds her. I also grind my teeth a lot. She really needs to get her own guns.

big chicot

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2017
    Ville Platte, Louisiana
    I've heard the M&P Shield EZ is a great option for a lot of women. My wife hasn't carried one, but really liked how it felt in the hand and how easy the slide was to rack when we were checking it out at the shop recently. I can tell you that my wife does not like shooting my LCP lol; it is very small and concealable, but quite snappy, especially without the +1 extension. The Glock 42 also seems like another good option if you don't mind 380.
    I just bought my wife the M&P Shield EZ in 9mm. She liked the way it felt in her hand, and she is a competent pistol shooter.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    269   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    What size glove does she wear?

Smaller hands will favor something like the g42 or sig365. The older walther pk380 was similar in grip size to the 365.

Slide manipulation is technique over strength, plus unless she will be carrying "Israeli style" she will likely already have around in the chamber. Is she likely to carry a backup mag?

cyclone1970

Oldie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Covington LA
    Personally my wife loves her ruger ec9s its the cheapest gun we have, i did put the short action trigger in it for her and she loves it she usually carries it with the flush mag…side note out of all the guns ive had this is one of the few that eats every type of ammo flawlessly despite being the lowest price gun ive ever bought ($200)
    We have one, what is the short action trigger and where do we get one

cyclone1970

Oldie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Covington LA
    I married my wife when she was already set in her ways. So it was a bit of a challenge to convince her to retire the 5 shot 32 long detective special that her dad gave her when she left for college. But, I was up to the challenge. I took her shooting a few times out in private with every conceivable possibility I owned and she has now confiscated 2 of my pistols and also has her own 20ga shotty for around the house. She carries my H&K USP Compact. She thinks I forgot about the Glock 19 she keeps in that stupid little finger bang safe. I did one of the smartest and dumbest things ever and I find great peace knowing she’s got a fighting chance if trouble finds her. I also grind my teeth a lot. She really needs to get her own guns.
    Welcome to the married club. My wife has taken over many of our firearms. In the 70's we purchased S&W model 19's. I got her a 4" with target trigger and target hammer with target sights and I got a 6" one. I thought that would be good for her to shoot. She decided that she liked the my 6", instead, more than hers. We are still into that mind set with our Glocks. Frankly, being a fully trained husband, I am of the mindset that what ever she likes is fine with me. I want her around me forever and safe. It is kind of like watching her dress to go out, trying on several dresses. I love her dearly, but she looks good no matter what she wears and I am fine with that.

hotbiggun

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2023
    Louisiana
    The gun not only has to perform well and feel good in her hand but it needs to be of a size that she will carry. EC9 was the right fit for her.

drill sgt

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2019
    denham springs ,la
    If she does not like it and will not carry all of the time and or if she cannot or will not shoot it with accuracy then she will be better of not carrying a EDC> ......................... drill sgt.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    If she does not like it and will not carry all of the time and or if she cannot or will not shoot it with accuracy then she will be better of not carrying a EDC> ......................... drill sgt.
    I don’t necessarily agree with that. If a woman doesn’t like guns and isn’t the best shot but will carry sometimes id rather that than never carrying. Let’s say for instance she has to travel through a shady area for work and feels like she should carry that day. That’s better than not carrying at all. Just my .02

Top Bottom