Best emergency survival kit available?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SCAR17S

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 27, 2011
    Terrytown/Gretna
    looking for links to kits that you can buy, DIY's. Guides, opinions. What I should have in my home, what I should keep in my vehicles. ready set GO!!!

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    Just to clarify, when you say "survival kit" are you meaning a BOB type of setup or a first-aid kit?

If you're talking first-aid, those pre-packaged kits are usually cr@p...

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    If you are looking for first aid stuff Adventure Medical Kit makes some decent kits.
    Id suggest the Hunter or Outfitter Pack.
    Then add a couple bags of quick clot, some burn ge,l a good roll of coaches tape and a pack of butterfly bandages.

Last edited:

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    There is no pre-made kit worth a ****. Just accept this fact, move on.

First, identify the use. Bugging out? Vehicle bag for getting home / Get-Home-Bag? A bag for "never coming home" ?

Identify purpose, identify human needs, identify most likely area of usage, then it becomes easier to narrow down your needs.

SCAR17S

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 27, 2011
    Terrytown/Gretna
    I want to make a kit that will keep my alive for a few days if there world started to fall apart. i need it to include, first aid, nutrition, hydration. obviously for a home kit. i'm pretty certain i lack no tools for survival. maybe a good pair of monster bolt cutters. i always keep about 10 kentwood jugs of water. pleanty of ammo guns n medicine, antibiotics, etc. I guess what I'm getting at is a list we could drum up, maybe one for the vehicle. things to have at home. lets go with 48 - 72 hours worth of consumable supplies. first aid would definitely be crucial. i'll like stuff on this thread i come across on stumbleupon.com

homeslice

Be honest.
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    St. Charles Parish
    I want to make a kit that will keep my alive for a few days if there world started to fall apart. i need it to include, first aid, nutrition, hydration. obviously for a home kit. i'm pretty certain i lack no tools for survival. maybe a good pair of monster bolt cutters. i always keep about 10 kentwood jugs of water. pleanty of ammo guns n medicine, antibiotics, etc. I guess what I'm getting at is a list we could drum up, maybe one for the vehicle. things to have at home. lets go with 48 - 72 hours worth of consumable supplies. first aid would definitely be crucial. i'll like stuff on this thread i come across on stumbleupon.com

The best kit out there is one you research and create on your own to satisfy the basic necessities of life, and then comfort. This kit is best made by doing your own research (like MANY of us have) and then buying/building your kit(s). I personally have a 72hr car kit for each car, bug out bag, and get home bag. All of which I designed based on what I believe my needs would be. Does that make sense?

Well, I have a feeling you're doing this because you're like I was when I first started, very intimidated. You're on the right track with Ammo and water, great job so far. Here's the first result I found when I typed Bug Out Bag Contents into google:
    http://www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/bob_list.pdf

Hope this helps, and good luck.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    What is it you want to be able to do in those few days? Is it just staying in your home, fortifying the castle, and keeping out the riffraff if there's a Katrina situation? That's easily as mobility is not an issue, just cubic-foot storage.

Are you wanting to be able to hoof it home from wherever your vehicle may be out of the question (due to no road usage, or vehicle immobilization)? This is what I was talking about in a 'get home bag'.

Just living out of a bag for 3 days isn't really a practical solution to any problem unless those 3 days of living involves you working toward a goal.

There are products out there that are lightweight, small, cheap (pick two) that will sustain you and solve each issue. Water, food, shelter, safety, first-aid... the list goes on for requirements.

I'm a pretty active member of Zombie Squad which has a lot of great information on their site, and is an organization that really strives toward getting people prepared, who otherwise would not be. They are quite active in the real world with charity events, seminars, and training meetings for members where possible. There is a forum ripe with information you can learn from old grannies who've been living a prepared lifestyle since the depression, to hardcore Marines who have more battle experience and tips for packing a bag that won't kill your spine, and gear recommendations. There are emergency management folks, first responders, medics, hunters, hikers, boaters, sailors - a huge variety... anyways...

I'm all tying this back to having to do your own research. You can't buy anything that will just make you prepared. No more than buying a gun makes you a marksman or buying a guitar makes you a musician. That's intimidating sounding, but it's not that hard, and it might save your life or the lives of those you love.

Identifying your goals makes it easier, which is what I was trying to steer you towards. "prepping" is only intimidating if you try to swallow the elephant whole. Identify realistic scenarios to prepare for, outline the requirements to survive it, and get working on it. You can start out with helpful EDC items, work your way up to a BUGOUT BAG you keep near a main exit in your home, and a GetHomeBag to keep in the vehicle or workplace.... whatever sounds likely for your life.

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    The best kit out there is one you research and create on your own to satisfy the basic necessities of life, and then comfort. This kit is best made by doing your own research (like MANY of us have) and then buying/building your kit(s). I personally have a 72hr car kit for each car, bug out bag, and get home bag. All of which I designed based on what I believe my needs would be. Does that make sense?

Well, I have a feeling you're doing this because you're like I was when I first started, very intimidated. You're on the right track with Ammo and water, great job so far. Here's the first result I found when I typed Bug Out Bag Contents into google:
    http://www.survivalistssite.com/~canuck/downloads/bob_list.pdf

Hope this helps, and good luck.

This. And there's no definitive answer. My kits are ever evolving and changing.

One thing I will say is I like the modular/tier approach. For example, my daily carry supplements my car GMAH (Get My Ass Home) kit, which supplements my short term GTHOD (Get The Hell Out of Dodge) kit, which supplements my long term supplies. Everything works together, and reduces redundancy.

Another thing worth mentioning is first and foremost focus on necessities. Guns, ammo, food, water, etc. I see so many people focus on whiz-bang cool survival goods that have almost zero practical application. To my personal situation, survival has almost nothing to do with wilderness survival, so I don't waste money and space on that type of stuff.

jguilletjr

Saw Bones
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Lafayette, La
    Copy of all documents, Insurance, Identification etc. Hygene stuff, soap Toilet paper. etc. Clothes. Camping gear. As well as medical, food, and personal defense items. Maps, GPS, Compass, Batteries Bic Lighters. Flashlights, (Small Pocket lights, or hands free headlamps) Battery powered Radio. Keep in mind the first words in the "Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy" Don't Panic. Food and water goes with out saying. A deck of cards. Cell Phone with PTT. Water filtration system is good to have. They have really come a long way with those. Just some random thoughts. Tools, Chainsaw, Jacks Bolt cutters (Rescue and forecable entry stuff) prybars shovels maybe an ax. (Stuff to keep handy) We live in a hurricane prone area So I have a lot of stuff on hand, If I had to leave What I would take would depend on the situation.

Frogman

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Denham Springs, LA
    Check the Herrington Catalog (You will have to Google it.). They had a decent one on sale recently that includes what you want. This is not a survival catalog, but they carry decent stuff. I think it was on sale for less than $100. I have one that I carry in my toolbox. I used to travel a lot in the mountains of
    PA.

Top Bottom