Best First Handgun

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NOLASHOOTER

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    New Orleans
    This is a pretty wide open question and many people will want to express an opinion. I would ask you what purpose the gun will serve you. And, is price a major factor? What, if any, of the purposes below will you want to satisfy.

Conceal Carry
    Target Practice
    Home Defense
    Range toy
    Truck Gun
    Competition

Oh, welcome to the madness that is Bayoushooter.

derekthib

Rating - 90%
    18   2   0
    May 30, 2012
    Houma
    Glock 19. Affordable. Compact yet large enough for OC. 9mm is cheap and easy to learn on and glocks are the same. You're getting the reliability of a gun twice as much on a platform that anyone can use.

NOLASHOOTER

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    New Orleans
    If I had to say one without knowing any of the answers to the questions I posed I would say a Glock 19. I recently picked one up after having tried several makes and models. I have never been a fan of the way Glocks look but here is what factored into my decision.

Reliable
    Easy to clean and work on
    Tons of accessories
    Cheap accessories
    Cheap magazines (I hate guns that have $40-$50 magazine prices)
    Proven longevity
    Police departments all over the world count on them

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Any brand new Glock 26 / 19 / 17.

I say brand new because it'll give you the warm and fuzzies and you'll keep it forever. Also if new, you'll avoided any issues with the early 4th gen guns.

And unless you pay too much (>$550), it'll hold its value very well.

derekthib

Rating - 90%
    18   2   0
    May 30, 2012
    Houma
    If I had to say one without knowing any of the answers to the questions I posed I would say a Glock 19. I recently picked one up after having tried several makes and models. I have never been a fan of the way Glocks look but here is what factored into my decision.

Reliable
    Easy to clean and work on
    Tons of accessories
    Cheap accessories
    Cheap magazines (I hate guns that have $40-$50 magazine prices)
    Proven longevity
    Police departments all over the world count on them

Yep. Cheap and reliable. Glocks perfection motto rings true as a perfect gun in sense of value.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    I suggest the same thing I started with: .357 Magnum with a long barrel.

Easy to clean, easy to load, extremely reliable, can shoot .38 cheaply at the range, can use .357 for self defense, speedloaders make reloading a breeze, very very accurate

Best of all you can pick them up pretty cheap if you don't mind a Taurus/Rossi. You can usually find them used for around $200 and see if you really enjoy the hobby.

Of course if you want to go with a semi I'd also echo the rest and say G19 would be a great option. Fun to shoot, extremely reliable, small enough to conceal large enough to enjoy shooting, it's just ugly as hell and some people complain about the trigger and grip angle :dunno: I like mine though. Ended up selling my revolvers and have multiple Glocks now but glad I learned on the revolver.

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Looking back, I wish I would have bought the HK MARK 23 first, so at least that purchase would be out of the way and not looming over my head causing me sleepless anticipation.

Top Bottom