Best way to kill raccoons and opossums?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fugum

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Metairie
    I'm no expert, but not so sure about immune to rabies. I caught one in my trap while back walking bow legged, and completely hairless. Unless it's a completely different species!
    Yeah, I'm with you. Many moons ago we had to beat one to death with a piece of 2x4 as we were walking to the football field at school. It was vicious and tried attacking us, we jumped onto a large wire spool on the side of the road and it wouldn't stop attacking until it was dead. Maybe it wasn't rabies, but that thing was batshit crazy.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I don't hate them in general, but I did have a running feud with a particular one at a WMA that broke into my gear and tried to eat my creamer. Getting between a man and his morning coffee is a bad idea. I tried very hard to murder it the next couple nights, but it seemed to know to beeline in the direction of other campers. Similar to hogs sticking to sloughs adjacent to the road - they somehow know they're safer there.

I don't know where the scent glands are on them. Some day I'll need to have someone show me how to skin animals I haven't hunted yet.
    At least 18 scent glands you need to remove. Not to bad at all

pandabear

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    May 1, 2014
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    Yeah, I'm with you. Many moons ago we had to beat one to death with a piece of 2x4 as we were walking to the football field at school. It was vicious and tried attacking us, we jumped onto a large wire spool on the side of the road and it wouldn't stop attacking until it was dead. Maybe it wasn't rabies, but that thing was batshit crazy.
    You should a grab him by the tail like the previous gentleman said. Lol

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Ghetto Possum is my next band's name. Thanks Mag!
    LMAO! Man, I know everyone in here has seen a ghetto possum at least once. I have a buddy who broke his ankle on one in the Denny’s parking lot one night after leaving the club. He was hammered and laughed when he saw it. Called it a big ass rat and thought he was gonna just kick it across the parking lot. It didn’t work out for him. I think the thing was hanging out eating upchucked Denny’s food. Figure that out, lol. That was a huge possum.
    That would be a cool name for a band though.

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    86   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    Speaking of coons…

Woke up to find this lovely little treat left for me in the backyard this morning.

Attachments

• C96161AC-C9D4-4D7E-8CBF-760FA881BFDB.jpeg
      C96161AC-C9D4-4D7E-8CBF-760FA881BFDB.jpeg
      830.8 KB · Views: 23
    • F3557EC6-17E6-4D6A-8D75-12D09AA75525.jpeg
      F3557EC6-17E6-4D6A-8D75-12D09AA75525.jpeg
      750.7 KB · Views: 21

V.Taltos

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2023
    North Louisiana Swamps
    That's just Mange, put Ivermectin in a food source (up to 10 appropriate doses over a month) & give them time, they'll grow back a healthy coat and live a happy life.

People treat deer with Ivermectin similarly, to get rid of parasites and mites, ticks, worms, etc..

I'm not a vet, and this is not medical advice, just an online comedian.
    Horse Paste! Run run! Lol, I've kept a bottle of it since the Scamdemic started in 2020. Good stuff!

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Possums have a great marketing department! They don't carry rabies. They do carry a host of other diseases though... My dogs are pretty good at dispatching them.

SH00TIST

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2024
    BATON ROUGE
    I LIKE raccoons. Raised six different ones over the years from bottles. I have two sisters visiting me nightly to get their daily dispensation of Meow Mix, M&M's, and Cheetoes. They are three years old, still come around, and surprisingly, haven't shown up preggers yet--and still let me pick them up and put them on my shoulders... Now, I keep horses, and possums (excuse me, you noun-demons--I just CAN't use "Opossum") carry a horrific disease in their urine that can infect a horse like Mad Cow Disease. A friend lost a very expensive Paso Fino horse to it. So, I try my best to keep the mangy critters away from my barn, and run them off from the 'coon's cat food when I catch them. Personally, for ALL aggravating varmits, I agree with .22 CB caps out of a rifle. Practicallyn noiseless, and work well with head shots. And I've killed exactly one 'coon in my life, and it was raiding my chickens.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2024
    Ruston
    Have a raccoon and an opossum that terrorize the neighborhood (kids playing and neighbors have outdoor cats). Found the raccoon out in the open today and shot it with my crossbow, but only have mechanical heads and field points. Wanted to avoid shooting it with a firearm as I'm literally on the other side of the street from the edge of city limits, but as I suspected it was too small for the shock collar to break - broadhead didn't expand properly and now I have a fence slat to replace on top of losing an expensive bolt. Ended up having to shoot it anyway. Field points wouldn't be ethical even on a lung shot since it wasn't sufficient with the mechanical broadhead, so I'm wondering what I should do about the opossum. Would a fixed broadhead work, or is it still too much overkill with a crossbow? Should I just bite the bullet and invest in an airgun or something?
    you really should just buy a dog-proof trap

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom