Best way to remove heavy rust?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SwampyDog

certified gun nut
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 3, 2012
    Killian
    Buddy of mine asked me if I could clean and oil a shotgun for him. I said yes without seeing it. He shows up with this old Pardner Pump. I've never dealt with something this rusty and decided im up for a challenge. Plan is to get it cleaned up then rattle can it. Any advice for tackling this rust would be VERY much appreciated.
    20230807_105053.jpg
    20230807_105115.jpg

SwampyDog

certified gun nut
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 3, 2012
    Killian
    Unfortunately I'm not set up for any kind of media blasting. But yeah, I knew it wasn't ever gonna be pretty again and told him as much lol

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    get you some light sand paper and go to town lol

i have used this stuff a good bit and is about as good as it gets for a at home cheap strong long lasting paint job

Big H

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 3, 2010
    Lake Charles, La. 70607
    Disassemble---degrease---soak in 30% Vinegar solution---check often---soda and water solution to kill acid residue---
    lightly wire brush parts to clean out pits in metal---sandpaper to desired smoothness---prime with a good metal primer---
    several light coats with several hours between coats to fill small pits---let dry and cure for a day or two---several light
    coats of your brand and color of spray paint---make sure primer and paint are compatible---let paint cure and dry for
    a couple of days---can be buffed lightly with 0000 steel wool if you feel the need for smoother finish---DO NOT RUSH
    the process. I usually finish with a coat of Pledge furniture polish over the whole exterior of the firearm---this resists
    fingerprints and provides a modest shine. This process is meant for the external parts of the firearm only. Very easy
    process---GOOD LUCK!

70mikenike70

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2022
    Lake Charles
    Buddy of mine asked me if I could clean and oil a shotgun for him. I said yes without seeing it. He shows up with this old Pardner Pump. I've never dealt with something this rusty and decided im up for a challenge. Plan is to get it cleaned up then rattle can it. Any advice for tackling this rust would be VERY much appreciated.View attachment 144345View attachment 144346
    That’s a nightmare lol.

SwampyDog

certified gun nut
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 3, 2012
    Killian
    Hows the chamber look? A pitted chamber will lead to sticky extraction.
    I haven't gotten it apart yet. But from how hard the action was to work amongst the sheer amount of junk accumulated in it, its not looking good. I'll post pictures once I get this train wreck apart in the next day or so.

70mikenike70

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2022
    Lake Charles
    Well since we are on the subject of rust…. My church has done an Easter drama that had us wearing Roman armor. Since hurricane Laura hit us, the armor has started rusting pretty bad. I have one of the helmets here at my house and I’m trying to figure out how to get the rust off without damaging the polished aluminum. It’s not a chrome finish, but when we first got them they looked awesome and now not so awesome. Any ideas?
    Pic is when we got them… Will add a pic of the rusty helmet tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_7645.jpeg
      IMG_7645.jpeg
      794.2 KB · Views: 57

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I've cleaned up many a shotgun like that.

You've got no way to blast it, so.

PUT THE SANDPAPER AWAY

Don't try to remove any rust yet.

Take it apart.

Boil all of the parts in water.
    This will convert some of the rust back to metal.
    You can use electrolysis to convert more. Plenty of videos on it.

White vinegar should remove anything left, along with the bluing.

Scrub it with a stiff brush under hot water.

Wipe down with thinner or alchohol.

Krylon out of the rattle can.

gmoore

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2023
    Plaquemine, LA
    Get some stainless steel pot scrubbers from wal mart, it'll remove the chunks with little to no damage to the rest of the finish. From there you can either 1) Boil the parts to convert the remaining rust. or 2)soak in Evap-o-rust for a day or so. I prefer the Evap-o-rust if i'm going to recoat. Sometimes, after scrubbing with the pot scrubbers, it looks good enough to oil up and stop there. Boiling works great but is a pain in the butt and often requires several boil-scrub operations.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    Buy a gallon of evaporust and a wallpaper or Sheetrock mud tray long enough for the gun
    Soak at least 24 hrs
    Then disassemble and wash with hot soapy water
    Then #oooo steel wool and rust blue treatments over and over. The first few won’t do much but remove more rust but after a few cycles it will start to darkem
    The pits will always be there

Peterpaul227

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 5, 2019
    Northshore
    I have watched a you tube Chanel called anvil the guys name is mark novac I think . He does fire arm restoration and has some good methods of removing rust with out removing the original blueing something to do with boiling water to stop the rust . If I had one that bad I would try that method as I have the stuff to do it besides a cording wire wheel . Good luck

Top Bottom