Big Alabama Bowfishing 7-5-09

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 11Bravo

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    Took another trip out today with the girlfriend and Brett. Boy what an afternoon. We had a blast. We ended up with 16 total fish. 14 gar and 2 choupique. The biggest fish was a 17 pound longnose gar measuring a whopping 5 feet. Here's a few photos to make you guys jealous. ;]

l_aee247e6834f4603a1e982e417d9b418.jpg

l_9e6415bd59594342a815a10546324f7c.jpg

l_28151dec0c4744bd849bd3117225f93e.jpg

BobKaro

Yellow Boxes? Sweet!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Youngsville, LA
    Out of curiosity, how are you cleaning and preparing the gar?

Steaks, balls, baking?

I've had gar balls and heard of baking them, but my granddad once told me of a BBQ he once went to where they cut them up into steaks and grilled them. Just curious.

11Bravo

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    Ever since the hurricane, the fishing has went to crap. The only fish that survived were the carp, gar, and choupique. We catch one every now and then as far as the bass go. Bream is alright. A few sac-a-lait. I caught one catfish. So unless you're looking for gar, which there are a ton of, I'd find somewhere else to fish. And Bob, I can't answer that question. Lol. Fishing is my favorite sport, but I never have eaten fish. Just don't like the taste. I always give my fish away.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Ever since the hurricane, the fishing has went to crap. The only fish that survived were the carp, gar, and choupique. We catch one every now and then as far as the bass go. Bream is alright. A few sac-a-lait. I caught one catfish. So unless you're looking for gar, which there are a ton of, I'd find somewhere else to fish. And Bob, I can't answer that question. Lol. Fishing is my favorite sport, but I never have eaten fish. Just don't like the taste. I always give my fish away.

When you do this again, let me know and reserve one gar for me. :eek3: I've been interested in trying a few recipes I've read about as of lately.

When I was out there 2 weekends ago I ran into 1 small alligator and caught a handful of little bream and bass. As I mentioned in an earlier post there were thousands of little blue catfish that were about an inch long all along the bank in the water near the landing. So the catfish have spawned or DWF have recently stocked it.

I think I'm going to go back out there this weekend and run a trot line and some catfish jugs. I'll let y'all know what I find out after that.

Last edited:

diat150

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 27, 2008
    opelousas
    I went fishing in what someone told me was old courtableau this morning. you take the road in krotz springs that brings you along the river by the old valero plant and just drive a few miles down and it is on the right. there is a private launch that you pay 3 dollars for, kind of on a private road.

there is alot of little bream and bass, but man did they have some huge garfish rolling.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    I went fishing in what someone told me was old courtableau this morning. you take the road in krotz springs that brings you along the river by the old valero plant and just drive a few miles down and it is on the right. there is a private launch that you pay 3 dollars for, kind of on a private road.

there is alot of little bream and bass, but man did they have some huge garfish rolling.

Need some more info about this place. Is it north or south of Krotz Spring? Any GPS Coordinates or can you find it on Google Maps?

11Bravo

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    Where you located Crk? We go often and normally have plenty to give away, so now worries there. I kept the skull from the big one, trying to dry it out. Thought it'd be kinda cool to keep. There's tons of huge aligator gar but it's rare you find a really big longnose. This is the biggest to date that I've come across. As far as aligators go, there are plenty. Saw a 9-10 footer last trip. Saw a couple of small ones on this trip.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Where you located Crk? We go often and normally have plenty to give away, so now worries there. I kept the skull from the big one, trying to dry it out. Thought it'd be kinda cool to keep. There's tons of huge aligator gar but it's rare you find a really big longnose. This is the biggest to date that I've come across. As far as aligators go, there are plenty. Saw a 9-10 footer last trip. Saw a couple of small ones on this trip.

I'm from Baton Rouge, but just trying to go wherever I can in a little home built pirogue to catch a fish. :rofl:

11Bravo

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    Well, Brett and I are very disappointed in ourselves. After doing a bit of research, it seems we had a state record longnose. :[ There seems to be no current state record. I emailed the Dept. of Wildlife and Fisheries to confirm. I was looking at other state records and they seem to be around 8-12 pounds. The biggest state record was just a little bigger than ours at 19 pounds. Bummer. Next time though! I know somebody wants to come with us Wed.!

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Man I started to say something about that but I guess by the time you posted the pictures and such you would have had already butchered him. I'm sure he's not the only one there. :eek3:

Top Bottom