Blow by repair additive??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Arabseal

Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Jul 10, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I have a 2002 f350 with a 7.3. It has a decent amount of blow by, not enough to blow the oil cap off but it's there and it bugs me. I found this stuff called "certechgels" and supposedly it will fix the issue. It's about $175 for the additive..has anyone ever tried this??

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    Worn rings or scarred cylinders cause blowby. No miracle cure in a bottle can actually fix that.
    The real question is do you really have too much blowby? Done a compression check yet? Miles on the 7.3?

Rainsdrops

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Houma
    If its 7.3 turbo, nothing will dampen the blowby. The turbo pressurized the intake air, giving higher cylinder pressures & temps. More load on your worn rings

Wolfgang1952

LOCAL Fla. Par, Cha. Pres
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Mt Hermon / Franklinton La, USA
    There is nothing in a bottle that is going to solve your problem.
    Do a compression check first. From what you are saying, you have blow-by. You can probably get away with just doing valve stem seal job, but that still means pulling the heads off and sending them off to be rebuilt, or trying to do them yourself. If that don’t stop the blow-by, then its rings. If you’re going to do a ring job you mid as well go ahead and do a full rebuild, at least doing rod bearings. I would do valve stem seals and run it for while to see what happens.

Wolf
    Retired Diesel Mechanic

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    Don't forget a failed turbo can pressurize a crankcase. Its not common but it does happen. The return port for the lube oil can channel pressurized air into the crankcase.

How many miles on your engine? Original air filter housing? If yes they are garbage. The housing flexes which allows dirt to travel around the filter. There will be dirt trails in the upper half of the housing. Look at the blades of the turbo and if they have rounded/beadblasted edges thats a bad sign. This is known as dusting a 7.3. Early cylinder wear and excessive blowby are the consequences. Hate to see a 7.3 die an early death. Bets way to check for wear is with a manometer with a .411 orifice in it. This checks the volume of air escaping the crankcase.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    When I had my 2000 7.3 Dieselstop was my place to go with all of my technical questions and advise. Was able to tackle all of the issues I had, which weren't many, by using that forum. Great people willing to help a lot like the folks here on BS. Traded the truck 2 years ago with 200K on it and there are many times when I wish I sill had it.

stag0608

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Luling, La
    If it's not enough to push the oil fill cap off I would not worry about. My 7.3 had some blow by, but almost all 7.3 have it. It's still running strong.

Last edited:

Arabseal

Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Jul 10, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I contacted the company. It's money back guarantee. And I read good reviews on amazon. I really don't believe in things like this but it won't hurt to give it a shot. I ordered the gel kit for $175. I will keep you guys posted.

Arabseal

Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Jul 10, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I contacted the company. It's money back guarantee. And I read good reviews on amazon. I really don't believe in things like this but it won't hurt to give it a shot. I ordered the gel kit for $175. I will keep you guys posted.

Top Bottom