Boat , motor, and trailer registration titling questions questions.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    My dad recently passed and I am bringing his boat, trailer and motor down here.
    It's in Ohio, hasn't been used in a few years, so registration is expired.
    Also Ohio titles/register the boat, not the trailer, so I have the titles for the boat, and motor, there is nothing for the trailer. Any advice on how to title a trailer down here with no paperwork?

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    You may have done this already, but you will have to be the legal owner of the boat to get it registered in Louisiana. If you call LDWF they will help you. My son just registered a boat and they were very helpful. If you have not taken legal possession of the boat I would call a lawyer to get the ball rolling.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Just a question, if they are not registered, how do you get a license plate for them?

You don't. You just pull the trailer as is.

I own two trailers and both are registered and tagged just in case my friends in traffic enforcement are listening. Yes that's right I followed the law even though no one will likely ever look at my trailer plates.

Last edited:

TheBigRServices

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Loranger, La
    Just a question, if they are not registered, how do you get a license plate for them?

yeah, it is what it is. been pulled over and given a speeding ticket with no plate on a trailer. no mention of it from the officer. others trailers have old plates left over from a previous owner. Then again I usually dont have to go very far with a trailer.

I've licensed several different things from a boat, PWC, and so on that weren't licensed before or unknown previous owner. Its a lot of aggravation back and forth and usually a few hundred bucks of title, salvage title, notary, and other bs, going here and there back and forth. To me a 500 to 1000$ trailer isn't worth doing all that mess over.

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    You don't. You just pull the trailer as is.

I own two trailers and both are registered and tagged just in case my friends in traffic enforcement are listening. Yes that's right I followed the law even though no one will likely ever look at my trailer plates.

All of my trailers have plates because it would just be my "good" luck to pull one with no plate 1 time and get dinged for it. Thats usually how my luck goes. :(

Law1911

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Denham Springs
    If the trailer still has a good VIN on it, you'll have to get a physical inspection done by a law enforcement officer. You'll probably also have to bring succession paperwork to the DMV. If the VIN is no longer visible you'l be SOL.... trailers are a pain

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    Calling LDWF and DMV is probably your best bet. You'd be surprised at how helpful they can be.

As far as trailer plates go, 90% of the time I pull a trailer it has either an expired plate or no plate. And the damn lights never work either. I've never had an issue before.

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    Calling LDWF and DMV is probably your best bet. You'd be surprised at how helpful they can be. As far as trailer plates go, 90% of the time I pull a trailer it has either an expired plate or no plate. And the damn lights never work either. I've never had an issue before.
    All my trailers have permanat plates but have never been inspected.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    A bit late, but made it back fine. Someone stole the trailer lights about 300 miles into the 900 mile trip. I put a bicycle red led marker light on it and had no issues. Can't do the AOH as it's signed by my father already.
    The mfg plate is on the trailer but the vin is faded off. I can find no mfg info plate for the boat as it's been painted at least 10 times.

Top Bottom