Boating at night legality

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Why wouldn't you wear a PFD while boating in the dark? Thats one of the first things I put on when I go out in the marsh.

The last thing you want to do in a boat is hit something in the dark and get thrown overboard.
    Started as a night question and the life jacket question was separate. Not to be confused that I want to run at night wi th out a jacket.

Vsotok10

Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 2, 2010
    CENLA
    Spend the money on a quality PFD and you shouldn't have a problem wearing it and spend the money on good lighting because even if you can see where you are headed, the other guy may not see you.

velociraptor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Greater New Orleans Area
    Vessels displaying the proper navigation lights when underway (which does include the trolling motor) can be operated legally. If the vessel is drifting or underway you need to display a 360 degree white light at the stern and a red and green bow light. If you anchor the vessel the 360 degree stern light must remain illuminated.

You should maintain a safe speed at night...i.e. not hauling ass in a narrow waterway.

Consider taking a boating education course. They are offered on line.

https://www.boat-ed.com/louisiana/

navigation_lights_figure_1.jpg

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Spend the money on a quality PFD and you shouldn't have a problem wearing it and spend the money on good lighting because even if you can see where you are headed, the other guy may not see you.
    I will and don't mind doing it. just pissed I wasted money on really crappy ones and I tore the tags off so I can't return them. I'm learning. Allot to learn.
    Buying a camp that's only accessible by boat and I've never had a boat!!

jussaddwata

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Prairieville
    Nice little set up you got....

Life jackets and kill switches SAVE LIVES !!!!

no matter the length of boat or regulations, if I were you, I would have a throwable life preserver, fire extinguisher, sound device or even a flare gun or both. Better to have them than not ask me how I know.

Last edited:

slogoat

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 29, 2007
    Lake Charles
    I thought I remembered hearing you didn't have to wear a jacket on a tiller handle equipped boat if it was over 16ft. Something to look into.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I will and don't mind doing it. just pissed I wasted money on really crappy ones and I tore the tags off so I can't return them. I'm learning. Allot to learn.
    Buying a camp that's only accessible by boat and I've never had a boat!!

Wait a minute.
    You just bought a camp & your first boat and your pissed because you wasted money on cheap life jackets. You are in for it my friend, you are about to waste so much more money on damn boat and cuss it to no end. And that's if you leave it at the camp and don't trailer it 100+ miles a couple times a year a whole other level of bliss !!!!!!

Enjoy

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Wait a minute.
    You just bought a camp & your first boat and your pissed because you wasted money on cheap life jackets. You are in for it my friend, you are about to waste so much more money on damn boat and cuss it to no end. And that's if you leave it at the camp and don't trailer it 100+ miles a couple times a year a whole other level of bliss !!!!!!

Enjoy
    if you only knew the amount of money I've been spending for all this.
    But yeah I know none of its going to be cheap but it's all going to be worth it. Just trying not to buy something unless it's necessary for a little while.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    From the LDWF book:

HAND TILLER MOTORS
    All persons on board a motorboat less than 16 feet which is being propelled by a hand tiller outboard motor are required to wear a USCG approved Type I, II, III or V PFD while the motorboat is underway.

A motorboat less than 26 feet with a hand tiller outboard motor in excess of 10 horsepower designed to have or having an engine cut-off switch must have the engine cut-off switch link attacked to the operator, the operator's clothing, or the operator's PFD, if worn, while the motor is running and the vessel is underway.

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    Thanks BOSS351, for answering my question before I even asked it. I had been wondering about the kill switch requirement for my old 3 hp evenrude that is about 40 years old, and not designed for a kill switch. You answered that if it wasn't designed for it, it wasn't needed.

Top Bottom