Bowfishing

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    Woohoo! I get to break out the bow and do some fishing tonight. Been waiting on an invite and the water to clear for months. Anyone ever do this, it is so much fun.

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    Man, the water was so dirty. We still had a great time.
    061308.jpg

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    You'd have to reduce the weight of the compound bow. My old bear had an adjustment in the pulley system to reduce it down to hardly anything. I shoot recurve know so I don't know anything about the new bows.

I've heard there are some good places to bowfish in the bonne carre spillway. Anyone know exactly where? I want to go try!

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    Be very careful. NEVER tie the string to the back of the arrow it can kill you!! I don't know correct way but its to the front of the arrow.

They make washer type slides for arrows now with a stop near the rear of the arrow. You tie off to the washer. This keeps you tied in front of the bow for safety.

5549.jpg

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Yes, you need to have a draw weight of around 30-40#

30 to 40 pounds... good lord. I'm so used to pulling 65 and 70 i'd probably break the bow pulling that weight. lol.

I'd love to go bow-fishing. Just need to get a boat.

Does this mean you'd have to have a bow hunting license and a fishing license? :mamoru:

lilmoose0

Crack don't smoke it self
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2007
    Thibodaux
    So list some details about bow fishing. I have a 40# recurve and have been thinking about going. I've seen the kits you can buy. I don't have a motor boat, but I do have a canoe i'm comfortable with standing up in it. Do you do this at night with a spotlight, or during the day in the shallows? What laws and regulations are there?
    I know I could google it, but I like to get firsthand advice.:p

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    Woohoo! I get to break out the bow and do some fishing tonight. Been waiting on an invite and the water to clear for months. Anyone ever do this, it is so much fun.

Got to go for the first time about a month ago and what a blast! It was the best fishing trip because you get to shoot something. A buddy is setting up a boat to do this and I can't wait. NO SUNBURN EITHER!

The guide I went with had both compound and recurve. I like the recurve better. Be sure to use the milk bottle reel and +1 on securing the line to the front of the arrow with the slides shown in the earlier post. You tie the line to the rear and the line hangs up, NOT GOING TO BE FUN.

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    These are your two most bought bows HERE!, I have the Browning Barracuda with a AMS Retriever Pro Reel. I started out using a PSE Kingfisher recurve with a regular Zebco fishing reel attached to it. I quickly found out that I should have spent the money on the bottle style AMS reel. The Line free feeds and you are able to use larger line.

I also started out fishing from my flat boat in the day time in and around Bayou Cane in Lacombe. We shot mostly gar and sting rays, with the occasional drum. I also shot a shark, but was on able to get him in. I sold my flat boat and bought a 22' bay boat. Now I can only go with a friend. :(

My friend had a platform made to sit on the front deck of his 18" G3 flat boat. We wired three 500wt Halogens on each side with two 750wt mounted on the front. Personally, I think the 500wts seem to put out more light (this might be the angel of mounting). Each side was on a different circuit. The generator was mounted on the back deck. A converter is used to run the trolling motor off the generator. (THIS IS A MUST IF YOU PLAN ON FISHING MOST OF THE NIGHT)

We now mostly fish in Lake Catherine.

You only need your standard fishing license and follow normal fishing laws on saltwater fish. I think some freshwater fish are illegal to shot, such as bass. I have friends that go out with only a spot light while standing in the boat. You see tons more fish during the night; they are also not near as skidish. If you normally go places and see fish (day or night) then it is a good place to bowfish. Always remember rules of refraction and AIM LOW. I might also have the PSE recurve for sale soon.

If yall are familiar with the Louisiana Star Fishing program. Then you can appriciate the fact that I shot a STAR tagged redfish last year. I was disqualifed because I shot it with a bow rather than caught it on rod & reel. I was only given a shirt. HAHAHA :rofl:

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    Oh yes. The refraction rule. I beleive it is 3" low for every foot of depth or something like that. It took me nine shots to hit the first fish not more than five yards away and I can shoot a deer at 40 yds no problem. But after the tenth shot we ready for some fish fry and hot oil. :D

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    If its ok to hunt on land with a crossbow now is it also leagle to use one for fishing?

Here are the current fishing regulations.

Freshwater fish and saltwater recreational fish may be taken by means of rod, fishing pole, hook and line,
    trolling line, handline, bait casting, fly casting apparatus, by use of the devices known as yo-yos or trigger
    devices, bow and arrow, recreational wire nets and recreational slat traps, recreational hoop nets, standard
    spearing equipment used by a diver sport fishing in saltwater or freshwater when submerged in the water
    recreational pipes, recreational buckets, recreational drums, recreational cans, recreational shrimp trawls and
    recreational crawfish nets and traps, and by no other means except a barbed or barbless spear used in
    saltwater for taking flounder. NOTE: Certain species of game fish may not be taken with some gear listed
    above. Crossbows are not a legal method.

Top Bottom