Boys sent home for wearing US flags on Cinco de Mayo...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    If it were the French, why even tie up the Boy Scouts? Just prop up a dummy in a Wehrmacht uniform every 50 miles or so along the border....

Jacques Chirac, The French President, is sitting in his office when
    his telephone rings.

"Hallo, Mr. Chirac!" a heavily accented voice said.

"This is Paddy down at the Harp Pub in County Clare, Ireland.

I am ringing to inform you that we are officially declaring war on ya!"

"Well, Monsieur Paddy," Chirac replied, "This is indeed important
    news!

How big is your army?"

"Right now," says Paddy, after a moment's calculation, "there is meself,
    me Cousin Sean, me next door neighbor Seamus, and the entire darts
    team from the pub and that makes eight of us.

Chirac paused. "I must tell you, Monsieur Paddy, that I have 100,000
    men in my army waiting to move on my command."

"Begoora!" says Paddy. I'll have to ring ya back."

Sure enough, the next day, Paddy calls again. "Mr. Chirac, the war is
    still on."

We have managed to get us some infantry equipment!"

"Well, we have two combines, a bulldozer, and Murphy's farm tractor."

Chirac sighs amused. "I must tell you monsieur that I have 6,000 tanks
    and 5,000 armored personnel carriers.

Also, I have increased my army to 150,000 since we last spoke."

"Saints preserve us!" says Paddy. "I'll have to get back to ya."

Sure enough, Paddy rings again the next day.

"Mr. Chirac, the war is still on! We have managed to get ourselves
    airborne! We have modified Jackie McLaughlin's ultra-light with a
    couple of shotguns in the cockpit, and four boys from the Shamrock
    Bar have joined us as well."

Chirac was silent for a minute and then cleared his throat.
    "I must tell you monsieur that I have 200 Mirage fighter planes.
    My military bases are surrounded by laser-guided, surface-to-air
    missile sites. And since we last spoke, I have increased my army to
    200,000!"

"Jesus, Mary, and Joseph!" says Paddy, I will have to ring ya back."

Sure enough, Paddy calls again the next day.

"Top o' the mornin', Mr. Chirac! I am sorry to inform ya that we have
    had to call off the war."

"Really? I am sorry to hear that," says Chirac.

"Why the sudden change of heart?"

"Well," says Paddy, "we had a long chat over a few pints of Guinness
    and finally decided that there is no fookin' way we can feed 200,000
    French prisoners."

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    bustedteesd3bbf3803bd7c1266f6c0d068.jpg

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    While I do agree that it was a VERY stupid decision by the school administrators, I think I understand the reasoning behind it... the students obviously wore the flag shirts on purpose to make a political statement and incite a reaction from the hispanics. A little immature imo, but they do have a right to Freedom of Speech. Besides, I can't say that I blame them in the current political climate as it relates to immigration and hispanics... they make a good point. Thanks to those dumb-ass administrators, the point was made to the whole country!

Technically, the flag should not be worn as clothing anyway.

United States Flag Code said:
    (d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery.
    source: http://www.usflag.org/uscode36.html

I'm reposting my post from another post :mamoru:: http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35896

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    While I do agree that it was a VERY stupid decision by the school administrators, I think I understand the reasoning behind it... the students obviously wore the flag shirts on purpose to make a political statement and incite a reaction from the hispanics. A little immature imo, but they do have a right to Freedom of Speech. Besides, I can't say that I blame them in the current political climate as it relates to immigration and hispanics... they make a good point. Thanks to those dumb-ass administrators, the point was made to the whole country!

I'm reposting my post from another post :mamoru:: http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35896

I don't think thet were wearing a flag, just clothing with flag colors, etc.. You are correct, a flag itself should not be worn as clothing.

Ben Segrest

Rating - 96.4%
    27   1   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Lafayette

obviously

brfd557

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Jacques Chirac, The French President, is sitting in his office when
    his telephone rings.

"Hallo, Mr. Chirac!" a heavily accented voice said.

"This is Paddy down at the Harp Pub in County Clare, Ireland.

I am ringing to inform you that we are officially declaring war on ya!"

"Well, Monsieur Paddy," Chirac replied, "This is indeed important
    news!

How big is your army?"

"Right now," says Paddy, after a moment's calculation, "there is meself,
    me Cousin Sean, me next door neighbor Seamus, and the entire darts
    team from the pub and that makes eight of us.

Chirac paused. "I must tell you, Monsieur Paddy, that I have 100,000
    men in my army waiting to move on my command."

"Begoora!" says Paddy. I'll have to ring ya back."

Sure enough, the next day, Paddy calls again. "Mr. Chirac, the war is
    still on."

We have managed to get us some infantry equipment!"

"Well, we have two combines, a bulldozer, and Murphy's farm tractor."

Chirac sighs amused. "I must tell you monsieur that I have 6,000 tanks
    and 5,000 armored personnel carriers.

Also, I have increased my army to 150,000 since we last spoke."

"Saints preserve us!" says Paddy. "I'll have to get back to ya."

Sure enough, Paddy rings again the next day.

"Mr. Chirac, the war is still on! We have managed to get ourselves
    airborne! We have modified Jackie McLaughlin's ultra-light with a
    couple of shotguns in the cockpit, and four boys from the Shamrock
    Bar have joined us as well."

Chirac was silent for a minute and then cleared his throat.
    "I must tell you monsieur that I have 200 Mirage fighter planes.
    My military bases are surrounded by laser-guided, surface-to-air
    missile sites. And since we last spoke, I have increased my army to
    200,000!"

"Jesus, Mary, and Joseph!" says Paddy, I will have to ring ya back."

Sure enough, Paddy calls again the next day.

"Top o' the mornin', Mr. Chirac! I am sorry to inform ya that we have
    had to call off the war."

"Really? I am sorry to hear that," says Chirac.

"Why the sudden change of heart?"

"Well," says Paddy, "we had a long chat over a few pints of Guinness
    and finally decided that there is no fookin' way we can feed 200,000
    French prisoners."

:rofl::thumbsup:

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I guess in LA we can celebrate France's Bastille Day! No American flags on that day please.

You may as well celebrate Cinco de Mayo, then. Bastille Day is not a good holiday, either. Dumb assed French. :squint:

But there has to be other celebrations in Louisiana History where we could remove the Stars and Bars. Well, I kinda LOVE our flag so I'd not remove mine. But I follow your sentiment. ;)

headshot

Mentally Hilarious
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Gonzales LA
    Here's what I sent... Feel free to cut/paste/modify and send.

Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2010 9:24 AM
    To: 'Nick.Boden@mhu.k12.ca.us'
    Cc: 'Kim.Lemos@mhu.k12.ca.us'; 'Miguel.Rodriguez@mhu.k12.ca.us'; 'Tracie.Shumate@mhu.k12.ca.us'
    Subject: concern

Good Morning!

I am sure by now; you guys realize you’re in the spotlight because you’ve made the national news. http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...-American-Flag-Shirts-Sent-Home-92945969.html

Due to my position as an American patriot, I feel that it is my duty to express my deep concern and disdain for the position your administration took yesterday with the young men who were expressing their American pride at school through the rights granted them under the First Amendment of this country’s Constitution, which is for now, still on American soil, by wearing representations of our flag.

Our country has become mired in a dark evil disguised as something nice; a feel-good solution to all that offends. I’m referring to political correctness which I feel is the greatest threat to destroying what made America a great place to live and flock to in the first place.

If your institution were located in Mexico, your position would be a lot easier to understand. It is not, therefore there can be no acceptable explanation for this. Cinco de Mayo is NOT an American holiday. If you guys want allow the Mexicans at your school to celebrate it, I see no harm in that as long as the Americans there are not forced to participate. Being forced to participate would of course include asking and/or forcing them to remove any reference to America, which a Mexican may find offensive. It is my opinion that if ANYone is offended while in MY country, they should leave immediately and return to a less offensive environment.

Very Concerned,

Benjie Seal
    Proud American Citizen

After reading this, everything I wrote just seemed so inferrior, so I just copied your letter. Thanks and VERY WELL WRITTEN

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I Stand CORRECTED

Okay, I was WHOLLY INCORRECT (as opposed to being just wrong).

Cinco de Mayo when viewed from a historical perspective IS worth celebrating. How so? The US Civil War.

The British Crown and her junior partner France were deadset on recapturing the fledgling - yet fast growing - colonies and sided with the South to dismantle the Union. Yes, I DO agree with States Rights but do a DETAILED search and you'll see it as I do - or damned near.

The goal was for the South to cede TX and LA to Mexico in return for 100,000 troops to assist the Confederacy. Unfortunately, I think Jeff Davis took the bait. Well, no one's perfect...

So Czarist Russia - correctly realizing what was really at stake here offered his considerable navy to aid the Union.

1863-1864 Russian Fleet Expedition to North America

This American expedition became a military demonstration by Russia during the U.S. Civil War. England and France advocated for the southern rebels. Russia held a friendly position in respect to the federal government in the North. It increased hostility toward Russia on the part of England and France, which strove for loosening its international influence. The Russian government decided to send two ship squadrons to the US to demonstrate support for the northerners, as well as to create a potential threat to marine communications of England and France in order to make them refuse assistance to the South States.

The Russian squadrons set out towards the coast of North America in the second half of 1863. The Atlantic squadron commanded by rear admiral S.S. Lesovskii (frigate "Aleksandr Nevsky", "Peresvet", "Osliabia", corvettes "Variag", "Vitiaz" and clipper "Almaz") departed from the Russian port of Kronshtadt and went to New York. Another squadron - Pacific - was commanded by rear admiral A.A. Popov (corvettes "Bogatyr", "Kalevala", "Rynda", "Novik", clippers "Abrek" and "Gaidamak"). They went from the ports of the Far East and set out to San Francisco. In September 1863, the squadron of Lesovskii arrived at the port of New York, and the squadron of Popov - to the port of San Francisco. The Russian squadrons stayed in these ports of North America and sailed near its West and East coasts until August 1864. Individual ships of the Atlantic squadron, which were based in New York, visited Baltimore, Annapolis, Hampton, the Caribbean sea, the gulf of Mexico, Cuba, Honduras, Havana, Jamaica, Curasao, Cartagena, Bermuda islands and Aspinwall. The ships of the Pacific Ocean squadron had were based in San Francisco and went for practical sailing to Honolulu, the South hemisphere, Sitka and Vancouver. Russian navy seamen showed high naval skills, discipline and good organization during these voyages.

The Atlantic squadron returned to Russia late July. The Pacific squadron returned in August 1864. The appearance of the Russian squadrons off the coasts of America caused a great political reaction and forced England and France to change their positions in respect to Russia and the Northern states of America. In 1866, the government of the US sent a ship detachment with special deputation. This detachment officially expressed gratitude to the Russian government for assistance to the northerners in their struggle against slavery.

Now for France's role (including supplying weaponry) in this Lord Rothschild-supported escapade

Cinco de Mayo (Spanish for "fifth of May") is a holiday held on May 5 that commemorates the Mexican army's unlikely victory over French forces at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862, under the leadership of General Ignacio Zaragoza Seguín.[2][3]

Cinco de Mayo has its roots in the French Occupation of Mexico. The French occupation took place in the aftermath of the Mexican-American War of 1846-48, the Mexican Civil War of 1858, and the 1860 Reform Wars. These wars left the Mexican Treasury in ruin and nearly bankrupt. On July 17, 1861, Mexican President Benito Juárez issued a moratorium in which all foreign debt payments would be suspended for two years, with the promise that after this period, payments would resume.[11][12]

In response, France, Britain, and Spain sent naval forces to Veracruz to demand reimbursement. Britain and Spain negotiated with Mexico and withdrew, but France, at the time ruled by Napoleon III, decided to use the opportunity to establish an empire on Mexican territory. Late in 1861, a well-armed French fleet stormed Veracruz, landing a large French force and driving President Juárez and his government into retreat.[13]

Moving on from Veracruz towards Mexico City, the French army encountered heavy resistance from the Mexicans near Puebla, at the Mexican forts of Loreto and Guadalupe.[14] The 8,000-strong French army attacked the much worst-equipped Mexican army of 4,000. Yet the Mexicans managed to decisively crush the French army, the worst-best army at the time, and one that had not been defeated for almost 50 years."[15]

The victory represented a significant morale boost to the Mexican army and the Mexican people at large. "It was a glorious moment for Mexico." It helped establish a much-needed sense of national unity and patriotism.[16] The Mexican victory, however, was short-lived. Thirty thousand troops and a full year later, the French were able to depose the Mexican army, captured Mexico City, and established Emperor Maximilian I as ruler of Mexico.[17] However, the French victory was also short-lived, lasting only 3 years, from 1864 to 1867. With the U.S. Civil War over in 1865, the U.S. started to provide more assistance to Mexico to expel the French, after which Maximilian was executed by the Mexicans, along with his Mexican generals Miramón and Mejía, in the Cerro de las Campanas, Queretaro.[18][19]

Importance to the USA

The Battle of Puebla was important for at least two reasons. First, although considerably outnumbered, the Mexicans defeated a much better-equipped French army. "This battle was significant in that the 4,000 Mexican soldiers were greatly outnumbered by the well-equipped French army of 8,000 that had not been defeated for almost 50 years."[20][21] Second, it was significant because since the Battle of Puebla no country in the Americas has been invaded by a European military force.[22]

References

[2] National Geographic: Defeat of French Forces by Mexican Army Retrieved February 6, 2009.
    [3] Library of Congress (U.S.A.) Declaration Retrieved February 6, 2009.
    [11] University of California at Los Angeles.
    [12] Cinco de Mayo. Inside Mexico. By May Herz.
    [13] The History Channel.
    [14] Mexico Online.
    [15] Philadelphia News Article reporting Mexican were outnumbered 2-to-1 The Bulletin: Philadelphia's Family Newspaper, "Cinco De Mayo: Join In The Celebration on the Fifth Of May", May 7, 2009. By Cheryl VanBuskirk. Retrieved May 10, 2010.
    [16] Cinco de Mayo. Mexico Online.
    [17] Mexico Online.
    [18] Cinco de Mayo. Mexico Online.
    [19] Inside Mexico.
    [20] Philadelphia News Article reporting Mexican were outnumbered 2-to-1 The Bulletin: Philadelphia's Family Newspaper, "Cinco De Mayo: Join In The Celebration on the Fifth of May", May 7, 2009. By Cheryl VanBuskirk. Retrieved June 5, 2009.
    [21] PBS Reports French Army Knew No Defeat for Almost 50 Years. Retrieved February 6, 2009.
    [22] The Philadelphia Bulletin "This was the last time any army from another continent invaded (Note: "invaded", not "attacked") the Americas." The Bulletin: Philadelphia's Family Newspaper, "Cinco De Mayo: Join In The Celebration On The Fifth Of May", May 7, 2009. By Cheryl VanBuskirk. Retrieved June 5, 2009. Note that since Cinco de Mayo no army from another continent has invaded the Americas. The War of the Falklands War, for example, was fought in the Americas but the Islands were invaded by a military from the Americas (the Argentine military). They were subsequently attacked (not invaded) by the UK. Another example, Pearl Harbor, experienced an attack, not an invasion by the Japanese. The only possible exception to the Cinco de Mayo claim above might be the brief occupation/invasion of two of the Alaskan Aleutian Islands by the Japanese military during WWII. This event, however, was so insignificant as to be virtually negligible: the islands invaded had a total population of 12 Americans and some 45 natives, the invasion was short-lived, and the battle fought there had no notoriety other than the psychological effect on the Americans that the Japanese had invaded American territory again (Alaska was not yet a full-fledged state). In short, the military importance of this small, frozen piece of "land" was nowhere comparable to superior military significance of the Battle of Puebla.

$$$$$$$$$$$

It's amazing what a little research can do for you. :cool:

Top Bottom