Brass marks on my slide?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    I just bought this pistol and put 50 rds thru it today only to find brass colored marks on my slides just ahead of the cutout. Could this be marks from the brass hitting the slide? If so how would I stop it from doing that again. I was shooting WWB 230 gr target ammo.

Attachments

• 20230923_171304.jpg
      20230923_171304.jpg
      400.3 KB · Views: 89

La26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Paulina, La.
    Yep, that's the brass striking the slide as it gets ejected. How far are they falling once they eject? Are they clearing the pistol by at least 3 or 4 feet, or are they striking you in the head or face?

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Yep, that's the brass striking the slide as it gets ejected. How far are they falling once they eject? Are they clearing the pistol by at least 3 or 4 feet, or are they striking you in the head or face?
    They seem to be ejecting upward around 1-2 O'clock and straight outward 90 degrees I think. I captured a picture off my slow mo video I took while shooting it and yes I was shooting left handed (weak hand) to hold cell phone in right to get video. Never noticed an issue as to where shells were ejecting.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230923_174746_Gallery.jpg
      Screenshot_20230923_174746_Gallery.jpg
      611 KB · Views: 77

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    As long as it’s clearing the chamber your considered “good” but you could do a ejector tuning or let it break in a little bit.. you will also notice diff ejection patterns with diff types/quality of ammo
    How does one "tune the ejector" on these? I'm use to my AR dropping shells in my hat when shooting prone and with good loads but lost on 1911's.

gunnut

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    PA
    If you are running a higher poundage recoil spring and low velocity ammo that will give brass marks on the slide as there is not enough momentum to clear it. Usually a 16 lb recoil spring will due for most 45ACP ammo, +P ammo would be better with an 18.5 lb spring,for lower fps/grain weight ammo you can reduce the spring rate to 14/15lb. Oh, a firm grip with no limp wristing will reduce that effect also. If all that doesn't work then you may need to dress a slight angle to the ejector edge. If the slide is blued you can use a little cold blueing solution to remove the brass kisses, as they are called. LOL

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    So I did a little research into tuning the ejector over on the 1911 forum. All that info will take me time to understand it all. I will definitely try some different ammo to see if that happens again.

gunnut

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    PA
    Hey, I just enlarged your pic. Usually the kisses are aft of the ejection port yours are forward. Take the slide off, pull the barrel out and slide a round up under the extractor and let us know how it fits. It should slide underneath it kind of easily and when you turn the slide back over the extractor should just have enough tension to hold the round from dropping out due to gravity.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I bought some more ammo that's a different brand, but still 230 gr stuff, to try. I'll be going to an indoor range soon and will use a rest and tightly grip the gun to see how it groups and if sights are still off as bad as I think.

gunnut

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    PA
    Try to get the brass off of it before you go, it will be much easier to see if there is still an issue

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hey, I just enlarged your pic. Usually the kisses are aft of the ejection port yours are forward. Take the slide off, pull the barrel out and slide a round up under the extractor and let us know how it fits. It should slide underneath it kind of easily and when you turn the slide back over the extractor should just have enough tension to hold the round from dropping out due to gravity.
    I tried that and the round fit snug, but not tight and it stayed put when flipping slide over. I even jiggled the slide right-side up and it stayed in place.

Top Bottom