Breaking News - Remington 1911

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Catmonkey

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Lafayette
    Breaking News: April 22, 2010

The wait is over! After 91 years, Remington® is back in the 1911 business, and in a big way. We are proud to introduce the Remington® 1911 R1 pistol, a seven round, .45 ACP, semiautomatic 1911 pistol. Ideal for concealed carry and personal protection, the 1911 R1 is a tribute to the first 1911 pistols produced by Remington® in 1917. Complete with diamond stocks, walnut grips, fixed three-dot sights, a standard safety with manual thumb safety and a satin black oxide finish, the Remington® 1911 R1 is sure to take the firearm world by storm.

It’s not every day that a gun manufacturer revolutionizes the business by introducing a firearm that can trace its roots back 91 years, but Remington Arms® is doing just that. From one of the oldest firearm manufacturers and the largest producer of shotguns and rifles in the U.S. comes a modern version of an old classic: the new 2010 Remington® 1911 R1 pistol.

Remington® 1911 Pistol: Then The first Remington® 1911 pistols were produced in 1917 when Remington UMC® was contracted to manufacture 150,000 1911 pistols to help aid Russia, Britain and France during World War I. However, after falling short of their targeted goal and nearly reaching bankruptcy due to lack of payment by the Russian government, Remington UMC® decided to focus their efforts on their line of sporting products, but eventually joined forces with the popular Rand® typewriter company.

The beginning of WWII saw a resurgence in the Remington® 1911 pistol when Remington Rand® took a break from the typewriter business to help produce semiautomatic 1911 pistols for the war effort. Between the years of 1942 and 1945, Remington Rand® was contracted to produce over 200,000 .45 ACP 1911 pistols, but by the end of the war, approximately 850,000 1911s had been produced. This was the first time that Remington Rand® had ever made a pistol and after some research and a trial and error period, Remington Rand® produced a 1911 pistol that became famous for its dependability, accuracy and durability, as well as being the least expensive 1911 pistol to produce. Remington® eventually left the typewriter business to focus all their efforts on firearms, resulting in the formation of the well-known Remington Arms Company®.

Remington® 1911 Pistol: Now After 91 years, Remington® is back in the 1911 business with the new Remington® 1911 R1, a throwback to the 1917 military pistol with a few modern adjustments. The 1911 R1 is Remington’s® first semiautomatic handgun since their Model 51, and is the first in a line of more 1911 pistols still to come. The Remington® 1911 R1 features the same diamond stocks as the original UMC® and Remington Rand® 1911 handguns and is made of walnut to give the 1911 a more polished look. Chambered in .45 ACP and equipped with a seven round magazine capacity, the 1911 R1 has a standard government model grip safety with a manual thumb safety, keeping the Remington® 1911 R1 true to the early Remington® 1911 handguns.

Other features of the 1911 R1 include a satin black oxide finish to help protect against rust and provide resistance to corrosion and scratching as well as traditional sights with an added fixed three-dot system, stainless steel barrels, a recoil-operated autoloader, overall length of 5.5 inches and a weight of 38.5 ounces when empty. Additional aftermarket features will eventually be available for the Remington® 1911 R1. Featuring “1911 R1” on the right side and the Remington® logo on the left, the new Remington® 1911 R1 l will make an excellent handgun for those looking for a 1911-style pistol that is comfortable in your hand and offers minimal recoil and great pointability.

==============================================
    I received the above in an e-mail from a vendor that spams me. This website vendor is taking pre-orders for $619.95. This should be interesting.

whitjct

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    Rhode Island
    Remington-1911-R1-Handgun.jpg

http://www.ammoland.com/2010/04/22/remington-1911-r1-handgun/

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    Timing on this is kind of ironic for me. I just bought this Safari 1911 and it has a mis-matched Remington Rand slide assy currently installed. I bought a correct slide/bull barrel assy on the 1911 forum so I'm not planning on using the one that come on it. Cool.

SAFARI.jpg
    SAFARI_1.jpg

SAFARI_8.jpg

Last edited:

Catmonkey

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Lafayette
    Apparently it's featured in the June 2010 edition of Shooting Times. I also see suggested retail is $699. Unfortunately, it seems to employ a firing pin safety like the series 80 Colts.

Fisherman

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    The R1 on the slide looks stupid, goofy, gauche, ugly, and cheap.

Yeah, I don't like the look of that. But I sure would like to have one of these. Maybe we could write the company and tell them to get the goofy off of the sides. Maybe even offer them an alternate design for the font and size. Think they would listen? ;)

Ironman26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Patterson, La
    Damnnn...............my wife is gonna kill me!!!!!!!!!!! I wonder how many new guns I can buy for myself, just from buyin one new gun for her:x:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bruce robison
    Top Bottom