Breathing new life into an old Colt 38Super

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FreedomGunworks

"Fearless"
    Sep 28, 2010
    Camilla, GA
    Before:

Colt1.jpg

Colt2.jpg

And after:

DSC_0213.jpg

DSC_0215.jpg

DSC_0214.jpg

DSC_0216.jpg

DSC_0217.jpg

Work performed includes 3lb trigger job which consisted of a new sear, disconnector, and hammer. The trigger shoe was also replaced and the Series 80 FPB was removed. The beavertail was removed and frame cut/blended to facilitate the installation of a new Ed Brown memory groove beavertail safety. Customer wanted to keep the factory safety so it was cut to fit the new sear/hammer. This gun is a 38Super and the customer wanted the bbl ported in a "v style" design. We machined the slide and added 3 ports to reduce recoil. I also flat topped the slide and cut in top strap serrations for a little extra cosmetic touch. The GI style sights were then replaced with a melted set of Heine lo pro sights provided by the customer. The final step was to refinish the slide and beavertail in our Atranite™ finish.

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    And you consider a Colt a "high end pistol"?

Compared to a Rock Island? Yes.

Compared to an Ed Brown? No.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I view 99% of firearms from an investment perspective. I keep my "high end" ($700+) firearms as they came from the factory (or easily reversible), as no one will have the same taste that you do.

FreedomGunworks

"Fearless"
    Sep 28, 2010
    Camilla, GA
    Compared to a Rock Island? Yes.

Compared to an Ed Brown? No.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I view 99% of firearms from an investment perspective. I keep my "high end" ($700+) firearms as they came from the factory (or easily reversible), as no one will have the same taste that you do.

Having a good amount of experience with both Colts and RIA guns, I'd put them on par with each other quality wise, the Colts just cost more.

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    Are you for real? $700.00 won't even buy the parts to send to a smith for a decent build.

"High end" doesn't begin till you cross the $2000.00 mark

I consider it "High end" when I would have a problem throwing it on the ground. $400 Glock? No problem - run it over with a truck as far as I'm concerned. I take MUCH better care of my $1000 AR than I do my 10/22...

As mentioned earlier, I view firearms as an investment. I won't be dumping $2000 into a handgun, mainly because there is a very limited market for such firearms. Besides, I don't need to spend $2G's to shoot well :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeyy504
    Top Bottom