Broil King Keg and Steel-Steeled Burgers

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA

Yesterday morning I decided that last night was going to be burger night. Rather than run to the grocery to buy buns I chose to make homemade burger buns. So I mixed the ingredients to make the dough and set it aside to proof while I ran a few errands.

After getting back home I made a dozen bun sized balls of dough and set that aside to rise. When risen I added some sesame seeds to them as requested.

DSC06221.jpg

Baked and done! Smell fantastic! I did leave one, the runt of the pack unseeded.

DSC06223.jpg

With the Broil King Keg and BKK Steel ready and a cold beer at hand I started the burgers. now these weren't regular smashed burgers. I finely diced an onion for smushing into the uncooked side of the burgers while the first side cooked.

DSC06225.jpg

DSC06230.jpg

Now, these aren't grilled burgers with a hint of smoke these are basically the kind of burgeres your mother would cook in an old cast iron skillet or maybe a much upgraded version of burgers you'd get at an old greasy spoon burger joint.

DSC06232.jpg

Smelling these burgers cooking made me hungrier by the second and so I knew I would need a second to calm the overwhelming bliss from just smelling them. Mmmmmmmm........... So, I saved myself the labor of having to get up from the table to make another burger and just went with my gut feeling of knowing I would have no problem eating that second delicious burger.

DSC06234.jpg

Nothing too fancy, just mayo, mustartd, shredded cheddar cheese and sliced dill pickles.

DSC06235.jpg

DSC06237.jpg

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    Was eating while reading this (thought it would help) needless to say I put my for down and stared at the poor excuse of a meal I had then threw it away...

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    "Nothing too fancy." :squint: You made your own buns! Compared to most, that is fancy! Lol. And now I'm anxiously awaiting for iPhones to come equipped with smell!

Last edited:

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Looks awesome! Recipe on the homemade buns?

Here you go.

Homemade Hamburger Buns

Submitted By: Chef John
    Prep Time: 20 Minutes
    Cook Time: 15 Minutes
    Ready In: 3 Hours 45 Minutes
    Servings: 8
    "Fresh, flavorful hamburger buns are surprisingly easy to make yourself. They take almost 4 hours, but there's only a few minutes of actual hands-on time. You'll taste the difference."

INGREDIENTS:
    1 (.25 ounce) package active
    dry yeast (such as
    Fleischmann's ActiveDry Yeast
    ®)
    1 pound all-purpose flour, or as
    needed - divided
    1 cup warm water (105
    degrees F/41 degrees C)
    1 large egg
    3 tablespoons butter, melted
    3 tablespoons white sugar
    1 1/4 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    1 egg, beaten
    1 tablespoon milk
    1 teaspoon sesame seeds, or
    as needed
    DIRECTIONS:
    1. Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
    2. Place yeast into bowl of a large stand mixer; whisk in 1/2 cup flour and warm water until smooth. Let stand until mixture is foamy, 10 to 15 minutes.
    3. Whisk 1 egg, melted butter, sugar, and salt thoroughly into yeast mixture. Add remaining flour (about 3 cups).
    4. Fit a dough hook onto stand mixer and knead the dough on low speed until soft and sticky, 5 to 6 minutes. Scrape sides if needed. Poke and prod the dough with a silicone spatula; if large amounts of dough stick to the spatula, add a little more flour.
    5. Transfer dough onto a floured work surface; dough will be sticky and elastic but not stick to your fingers. Form the dough lightly into a smooth, round shape, gently tucking loose ends underneath.
    6. Wipe out stand mixer bowl, drizzle olive oil into the bowl, and turn dough over in the bowl several times to coat surface thinly with oil. Cover bowl with aluminum foil. Let dough rise in a warm place until doubled, about 2 hours.
    7. Transfer dough to a floured work surface and pat to flatten bubbles and form into a slightly rounded rectangle of dough about 5x10 inches and about 1/2 inch thick. Dust dough lightly with flour if needed. Cut dough into 8 equal pieces. Form each piece into a round shape, gently tucking ends underneath as before.
    8. Use your hands to gently pat and stretch the dough rounds into flat disc shapes about 1/2 inch thick. Arrange buns about 1/2 inch apart on prepared baking sheet. Dust buns very lightly with flour. Drape a piece of plastic wrap over the baking sheet (do not seal tightly). Let buns rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
    9. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
    10. Beat 1 egg with milk in a small bowl, using a fork, until mixture is thoroughly combined. Very gently and lightly brush tops of buns with egg wash without deflating the risen dough. Sprinkle each bun with sesame seeds.
    11. Bake in the preheated oven until lightly browned on top, 15 to 17 minutes. Buns will stick together slightly where they touch. Let cool completely, tear the buns apart, and slice in half crosswise to serve.
    ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2015 Allrecipes.com Printed from Allrecipes.com 2/8/2015

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom