BS HISTORY!!!Brannon L apologizes 2 DAWG23 and retracts interpretation of CHP in car

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    seems that most of us were wrong on this issue including myself & the "Attorney" that was mentioned in the previous thread, so please make this an "informational" thread for future reference.

Brannon LeBouef, NOLACOPUSMC, posted this on his forum and asked me if I would post it here so that DAWG23 would see it and those who have read his earlier opinions about the subject would know of his retraction.

He asked I copy and paste it here:

Part of being a great teacher is to be a great student. Part of the journey to teach others is to always make pit stops to learn.

Also, as a personal matter, I believe it imperative to admit when one was wrong in order to continue to grow. No one has all the answers, myself included. I have fought quite vehemently with several people about this very topic. Some I think were accidentally right without knowing it, but a couple actually knew the information that follows. The important thing is that the right information gets out to people so they are educated.

In particular, I would like to acknowledge that Dawg23, CHP instructor Ernie Gammon, was correct about the final opinion on this matter. I wish he would have articulated it better years ago instead of us going round and round, but right is right. He was right, and I was wrong. Sorry Ernie, wish we could have debated this more civilly from both ends and to a better resolve.

To that end, I have been educated about a particular topic that has been a constant chaw on various internet forums:

QUESTION? Can you carry concealed, on your person, in your vehicle, without a permit?

I have always stated that you cannot due to the fact that the statute for illegal carrying of a concealed firearm, LARS 14:95, did not specifically list it as an exception. I have since had a very enlightening discussion with someone who has a lot more legal knowledge and access than myself, and the way he explained it to me makes perfect sense (Sgt Reavis).

It centers around the way the state views people and their personal private property, as evidenced in statutes like LARS 14:95.2, where it states
    ...(5) Any constitutionally protected activity which cannot be regulated by the state, such as a firearm contained entirely within a motor vehicle.

I always said that you cannot take that clause from 14:95.2 and try to apply it to 14:95 because they were separate laws. While that general "rule" is correct, in this particular case, the fact that the statute specifically defines what a constitutionally protected area is (the car), then that fact can be applied to other statutes as it is applying the constitution to a statute rather than the other way around. Basically, that statement, within 14:95.2, shows the legislative intent of the law. Since the legislative intent is known, that same intent can be applied to other similar laws.

Now, we must understand that it is in the courtroom that these issues will come to bare. Many LEO will not have this level of knowledge, and it is unreasonable for us to expect them to. It is still possible that you could be arrested for it, but you would have strong ground to support a defense if the DA would even accept the charges, and even further if a court would actually find you guilty.

BOTTOM LINE- Our state holds the rights of a person's private property to be absolute, therefore, you are much more protected on your personal property, or in it if it is a car, boat, etc, than when you are not. That does not mean you can do whatever you want, but it would appear you can conceal carry in your car or home or on personal property without a permit.

Now, I would not necessarily recommend you do that if you have the means to get a permit, because it falls under the flag of "You might beat the rap, but you will never beat the ride."

It is unlikely many LEO's will be aware of this. They will read the law, view it the way I did, and possibly arrest you. Then again, they may not, and we know that is the case with any LEO interaction. You are still arrested and have to endure the trouble and drama that goes with the process. Having the permit gives you additional options and allows you greater protection against other people's ignorance of fact.

I am awaiting some case law for reference that further explains and outlines this, and will post it here and in the FACT when available.

Respectfully

Brannon LeBouef

Last edited by a moderator:

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    boom_headshot_cat.jpg

:o

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Mods can change the name or move it to the legal section if they feel like it, I just figured this way people would actually read it & I am not sure if it should be under CCW or Legal to be honest

USMC-Deano

Baby Eagle FTW
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    Good. I honestly hope this is the case. I believe that we should have the right to do pretty much whatever we want with/on/in our own property.

Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Seriously though, that was pretty big of Nolacop to say what he said. :hs:

You know, I remember all those pitched battles. But I'm not surprised Nolacop came back and did this. I remember a story he told about going to someone's home and taking back a traffic ticket he wrote when he found out from his shift supervisor that he was wrong. He is vociferous in argument (Marines!) but he also is man enough to admit a mistake and make amends.

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    With all due respect to everyone involved, I don't think the members here need to rely on an opinion I posted, or on opinions proferred by other instructors and attorneys, when they could get a definitive reply from Sgt. Reavis.

I thought the original "plan" was for Deano to report back after speaking with Sgt. Reavis. And maybe he did, and maybe threads have been merged, deleted or whatever. But I don't see the "official" authoritative answer from the man who runs the State police Concealed handgun permit section.

Maybe Deano (or a mod) can help insert the "gospel according to LSP" into this thread.

edited to add: Now I see the old post in "Laws & Legalities." I think these need to be merged ---- but still think the official report from Deano, whenever that happens, needs to be a part of the record here. Opinions from instructors and attorneys, in this instance, are worth far less than an opinion from the LSP Concealed Handgun Permit Unit.

Last edited:

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Sgt. Reavis is a straight shooter, it is not hard to talk to him, just call the office. Anyway, he will tell you what is legal and what is not, but he will also tell you that most cops probably won't know that what you are doing is legal and you could still take a ride.

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    With all due respect to everyone involved, I don't think the members here need to rely on an opinion I posted, or on opinions proferred by other instructors and attorneys, when they could get a definitive reply from Sgt. Reavis.

I thought the original "plan" was for Deano to report back after speaking with Sgt. Reavis. And maybe he did, and maybe threads have been merged, deleted or whatever. But I don't see the "official" authoritative answer from the man who runs the State police Concealed handgun permit section.

Maybe Deano (or a mod) can help insert the "gospel according to LSP" into this thread.

This. I want to hear what the man said and what statutes he references to support it.

USMC-Deano

Baby Eagle FTW
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    Well, as noted in the other thread, I missed his call at 1350, called back about 1440 and he had just walked out. Gave the lady my info again, so hopefully he will call back. I've got my phone on right here with me awaiting his call.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    If it's on my private property I'm not gonna put pants on just to CCW. I really hope that is the case though just because I don't like the idea of being told what I can do in my house. Not that getting the permit is that hard it just seems like that would be a trivial stipulation.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    I Would hesitate to pitch this argument with anyone that is in the position to stop me while I was in my vehicle. You would be best served if you got your permit.. My opinion, Thanks to NC for stepping up..

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    seems that most of us were wrong on this issue including myself & the "Attorney" that was mentioned in the previous thread, so please make this an "informational" thread for future reference.

Brannon LeBouef, NOLACOPUSMC, posted this on his forum and asked me if I would post it here so that DAWG23 would see it and those who have read his earlier opinions about the subject would know of his retraction.

Part of being a great teacher is to be a great student. Part of the journey to teach others is to always make pit stops to learn.

Also, as a personal matter, I believe it imperative to admit when one was wrong in order to continue to grow. No one has all the answers, myself included. I have fought quite vehemently with several people about this very topic. Some I think were accidentally right without knowing it, but a couple actually knew the information that follows. The important thing is that the right information gets out to people so they are educated.

In particular, I would like to acknowledge that Dawg23, CHP instructor Ernie Gammon, was correct about the final opinion on this matter. I wish he would have articulated it better years ago instead of us going round and round, but right is right. He was right, and I was wrong. Sorry Ernie, wish we could have debated this more civilly from both ends and to a better resolve.

I truly appreciate NolaReserveCop's publicly posted "apology" that chronicles my inability to clearly articulate my thoughts and opinions, in a civil manner, which thus caused him to go "round and round."

That's very big of him, and serves as clear and convincing evidence that he is credible and accurate in his portrayal of himself as "a great teacher." :ninja:

I'm amazed that all that lack of civility was overlooked by the moderators and that nobody got banned for being so argumentative. Oh wait -- somebody did.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    After I made this post, I realized thet since this was an apology post there was no reason to inject my opinion. I have removed it. Please accept my apology.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    mmabone
    Top Bottom