Buffer Zone Suggestion Thread ** Official

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    Penguin/my-rifle, was the whole pit filled with water still? Or could you at least get down by the old table.
    I'm heading out tomorrow, flooded or not! :D
    Dave

penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    The whole thing was flooded. You could walk about 3 feet out from the path at the bottom, but that was it. You still had another 15-20 feet to get to the flooded table.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    The whole thing was flooded. You could walk about 3 feet out from the path at the bottom, but that was it. You still had another 15-20 feet to get to the flooded table.

Crap! That can't all be from rain. Gotta be high Pearl or sumthin'.

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    My observations were that this is a broow pit that has no drainage probably with a clay liner so only time and the sun will dry it out. I don't think the level of the pearl has anything to do with it; but who knows maybe the entire water table for that area is high right now.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    My observations were that this is a broow pit that has no drainage probably with a clay liner so only time and the sun will dry it out. I don't think the level of the pearl has anything to do with it; but who knows maybe the entire water table for that area is high right now.

That's what I'm thinking. I've been out there after several days of hellacious rain and there was a small area halfway downrange with maybe 6" of standing water. The BZ has been like this for 2 weeks now and I just don't recall that much rain falling. Any northshore people correct me if I'm wrong.

Dave

#1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    That's what I'm thinking. I've been out there after several days of hellacious rain and there was a small area halfway downrange with maybe 6" of standing water. The BZ has been like this for 2 weeks now and I just don't recall that much rain falling. Any northshore people correct me if I'm wrong.

Dave
    The pond on the other side of the road is larger than usual also.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I think that target would sink the canoe!

Is the Honey Island open? I know the Pearl floods it also...

I stopped by the spillway Friday before they opened the gates. I wish I'd brought my camera. It was something to see. The river was 10+ feet higher than the spillway level. There was whitewater where the road used to be!
    I'll post some shots Monday if I get a chance to get back out there.

Edit: I went to the pearl river guage website- Its at 11.29 feet, Honey Island floods at 17. Its rising though...

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/la/nwis/uv/?site_no=02492600&PARAmeter_cd=00065,72020,00060

Last edited:

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    I stopped by the spillway Friday before they opened the gates. I wish I'd brought my camera. It was something to see. The river was 10+ feet higher than the spillway level. There was whitewater where the road used to be!
    I'll post some shots Monday if I get a chance to get back out there.

Sux! I won't be riding my dirt bike for QUITE a while! :( (And yes, I do know they had to open it or else.. still sux)

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    Two things.

I work at the Corps of Engineers. I've been told that announcing this in a group of heavily-armed guys might not be a safe idea, but I do. The borrow pit is clay. That's why we dig them. Clay makes good levees. It also does not re-absorb water very well. That's good for levees, but bad for shooting ranges.

I also went out to the spillway on Sunday. I work for the Corps. I am also a photographer. I brought my camera out to the spillway. Sunday was amazing with the amount of water pouring through those 38 of 350 weirs. What a sight to behold. I will share some of the images I shot, and I hope you enjoy them. I will work on this tomorrow, so hold your horses. :)

Ske1etor

BOOM! LEGSHOT!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    Chacahoula, Louisiana
    So, does anyone know if the BZ is still flooded? Me, Jester1787 and our band of miscreants were planning on heading out there this weekend (That is until I read that the pit flooded...)

BR 870

Standing behind you...
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 23, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Guys, you don't think that making permanent changes to the place is kinda asking for trouble? I mean, you don't have permission from the Federal Gov't that owns the land, or the Hunting Club that leases the place and allows the public to shoot there. It's one thing for a small group to go out and shoot, it's a totally different ballgame for large groups to be showing up and making major changes.
    All it takes is doing one thing that draws too much attention from the leasing Club, and they could shut the place down and have it posted in a heart beat. Just seems like there is a good thing there, so why press our luck? Keeping it simple seems the best course of action to me. People have been goin' out to the woods, or quarries, the levy, etc... to shoot for centuries and they don't need elaborate targets or permanent tables.
    I don't know, maybe it's just me, but the BZ seems to be getting alittle sketchy. It's gettin to be alittle too hot, and I'm startin to get a bad feeling. Or maybe I'm just bein' paranoid...

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jamesernestomurray
    Top Bottom