Bug Out Bag (BOB)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cajun_Chuck

Premium Certified Cajun
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I was wondering if many of you have a BOB for where you live & surrounding areas. I have one, but I believe that I will need to modify it, one more diverse, instead of just catering to the local region (swampy, wet, woodland area, etc. etc.)

Anyone have multiple bags or one that covers multiple areas? I have nothing that covers mountain/hilly areas, even though I have parachute cord/rope. I have been reading different forums & seeing what people pack for their terrain (I am not packing a f%$ iPod in my BOB :rolleyes:...sorry if I offend anyone). If it gets too cold(light bag)...I am screwed, if I can't make a fire. I was just thinking about this earlier when I was watching a nature program.

What do you feel works best for you & your area or situation? What sized bag do you carry? Any nuggets you have. Not sure if its a nugget, but mine is a bottle of Tabasco or any hotsauce! Amazed at the multiple uses of this in 3 day survival mode! :D

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I'm a backpacker (well, not in a while) so my bag stays pretty much packed. I just add some fuel and I'll be good to go. As a matter of fact, that's how most of my camping gear survived Katrina, I threw the pack and the guns in the truck along with tools I thought I'd want to rebuild just in case. Turned out to be a good move.
    I've got an old Gregory internal frame technical pack(similar to this http://www.gregorypacks.com/us/?option=com_gregorypacks&act=product&task=details&cid=25) that's about 2400cu in. For backpacking its a good weekend pack, not really big enough for long distance though. I've got a North Face polarguard sleeping bag that's bearable down to about 15 degrees, an MSR waterworks water filter, a small coleman single burner propane stove, A MSR stove that will run on gasoline if need be, my MSR potset with misc stuff inside (someday I'll buy the titanium and save the weight). Inside I've got a fleece pullover and a small candle lantern. I have a tent that I usually split with whoever I'm hiking with (Eureka A frame that sleeps 4 and weighs about 10 pounds) and my sleeping pad. Not comfortable, but I can survive anywhere but desert. Oh, yeah, a few bits I wouldn't want to leave home without- some non-stretch rope (not climbing), a few carabiners (real ones, not keychains), paracord, a good knife (swiss army in w/ the cooking stuff, max 6" sheath knife- you're not Rambo!). A small plastic garden shovel for latrine duty and TP. Add some beef jerky and mac and cheese and I'm good for a week. Two nalgene bottles. A baseball cap to keep the rain off my glasses. For hiking my pack weighs about 40 lbs fully loaded w/ food and water.
    I still need to replace my boots though :(
    Most of this I bought from WWW.campmor.com. They have good deals on 'last year's model' which for camping doesn't matter.

Cajun_Chuck

Premium Certified Cajun
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Man, well - you are going to have a lot more stuff that I have in my BOB!

I keep seeing the MSR waterworks water filter mentioned. I guess I need to look into one of those. Pricey lil buggers, considering I was using water pure tabs and the good ole fashion boiling technique.

Another thing that I don't have is a solar blanket. Multiple uses again, if needed & pretty compact when folded. I am making a Sunday run to Lafayette, after church tomorrow morning and was going to adjust the bag. I also need a good folding shovel/tent stake/hammer...you know what I'm talking about. I have that on my big pack, but it is ancient & bulky.

I was hesitant to packing a couple road flares before, but I have seen these used so many different ways. Might acquire a couple of those price/size pending.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I'm not a coffee drinker. Coke in the morning, I like my caffine cold!. Those E-tools are heavy! I always considered a bug out bag as something I might have to carry.

Its mediocre fiction, but it'll get you thinking:
    http://www.rawles.to/Screenplay.html

PS Skip the economic stuff and skim to where they're bugging out.

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    http://www.omahas.com/product_info.php?products_id=43

Once supply issued by the United States army, the Trioxane fuel tabs and the cooking stand have since gone the way of the Dodo bird. Brilliantly compact and simple to use, they were a quick and easy source of hot water. Moreover, given that the fuel tabs, when lit, burn with a faint blue flame, they present a very low visible light signature, and I have successfully used them to brew up a cup of coffee inside a tank without setting off the turret fire detection sensors. Of the three, only the canteen cup is still supply issued. The stand is being phased out and the tabs are long gone. However, all three are easily and cheaply available from retail and online military surplus stores. As a final note, I have taken to burning my tabs in an old WWII-era wood alcohol ration heater (again easily available at most surplus stores.) These small heaters are essentially tins of jelled methanol with a re-sealable lid. Once the methanol gel is burned off you can use the small tin as a fire pot to burn the trioxane tabs in. This will allow you to save un-need fuel for later use (put the lid on the tin to snuff out the flame) as well as enable you to easily put out the flame if you need to relocate (once lit the fuel tabs can be somewhat difficult to extinguish.

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    Yes you can break them into any size you want. Most of mine were powder when I pulled them out of the bottom of my ruck.

I have used them to start many of fires with them.

You tear the foil open and burn them in it.

Last edited:

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    About $.33 a box
    50 boxes for $16.25
    100 boxes for $32.50

If 400 boxes are bought and even cheaper at the club price.

I would be in for 50 boxes if someone wanted to do a group buy, they are pretty freaking cool and handy.

I think my calculations are correct.

Cajun_Chuck

Premium Certified Cajun
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Got some more items for my extra bag....got to thinking a little bit & being that I have another one to look after (daughter) had to add to the supply bag.

BTW:
    WX2-144017 400 Boxes with 1,200 Trioxane Fuel Bars (full case)
    $129.97
    Club Price $116.97

This is direct from the website. I can not find them cheaper, in smaller bulk yet. Will continue looking...

Last edited:

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    Let me know if you find some and want to involve me in the purchase they are fun things.

I just checked and I have one box left of them. PM me your address and I will mail you one if they can be shipped by normal mail with no special stuff.

I know when we use to fly they wouldn't let us take them we had to put them in the conex they did the same thing with out batteries too.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom