Building a reloading bench?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    I also load while standing. My bench is 34" high but I use the Dillon Strong Mount to elevate the press 7". So without the Strong Mount my bench would need to be 41" high. BTW, I am 5'10" tall. Adjust bench height to suit YOU!

ol shep

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2014
    Ethel, LA
    I'm thinking a rebuild of the set up I have in the spare room. Anyone with a bench they're proud of, load a picture. Now is the time I need to see them.

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    192   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    I have a bench I bought from sam's. It's sturdy and 38" tall, serves my needs well. All I did was built a shelf over it for odds and ends.

82124d0613f92d602c76ac48c632cb9e.jpg

fd4a74e70f1fc0b377a40bef9bea272c.jpg

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    This is at 41" high to provide additional storage underneath. Those plastic bins from your local hardware/lumber store fit perfectly. Feet rest on the bottom shelf.

attachment.php

Attachments

• ReloadingBench_C.jpg
      ReloadingBench_C.jpg
      26.9 KB · Views: 563

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    192   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    I see that annealing machine behind the Dillon. You use it lately? Does it work well? I have a couple hundred cases and am looking into getting one.

It's tucked in the back because I only use it once every 3 months.
    I anneal every firing and keep enough brass on hand to shoot 3 matches in 308 and enough to shoot 2 FPR matches with the 6x47 and 6.5x47(usually will shoot 1 in 3 matches with the 6.5mm). 3 matches worth is about all I want to put in my Thumbler's b model tumbler at one time anyway.
    As for the machine, it is a Giraud. Could not be happier with it. One you get the temp and time set, load the hopper, sit back, and let it rip. They will be offering an inductive heat option in the near future on them but I'm happy with it the way it came. Benchsource is another nice machine. Has the option to run 2 torches, although I really don't think it is necessary. Down side is you have to feed it manually case by case.
    Come by and visit. Bring some brass along and we will cook it.

Here is a vid I made of the Giraud because so many people had questions how it worked.
    I was running it a little slow at a lower temp in this vid. The blue paint in the neck is 750 degree templaq paint. Once it reaches 750 degrees it turns clear. You only have to use it on the first few cases to set up the temp and speed of the machine.

Last edited:

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    You may decide to stand to load, later. If your bench is too low, you'll have to build a riser of some sort.
    If you build it at standing height, you can buy a wooden bar stool from one of the big box stores and cut the legs to the desired height, if you really want to sit while loading.
    vyr5vlidpku50llgksqo.jpg

Last edited:

wcweir3

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Gonzales, LA
    This is my reloading bench I know some will sneer at the Lee but it works for me

Attachments

• 2016-01-14 08.44.48.jpg
      2016-01-14 08.44.48.jpg
      235.4 KB · Views: 130

BluewaterLa

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    Slidell La
    All nice set ups, even the Lee haha. I don't think anyone should sneer at another's PERSONAL choices of equipment.
    It gets the job done and you are satisfied with it load em up. Thanks for sharing.

Dirtchevy841

Reloader
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Covington La
    Mine is 40" I usually stand but can sit also. Didn't ever like the strong mount so don't use it. Perfect height for bench mounted press. Cleaning and smithing area to right is also 40".

image.jpg

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    You guys scare me. They are WAY too clean. I won't even go in my room unless I have to move other stuff out of the way to get there. Otherwise it just doesn't feel right. ;)

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    image.jpg

I just built this one. It's 41" high 3' deep and 60" long.

It's comfortable on a stool or standing. It's really heavy duty and more than some will need but I was wanting another workbench/reloading bench in addition to my store bought Husky brand work bench.

Still have plans for a bottom shelf and a couple more ideas possibly.

Last edited:

pixfella58

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    Houma, LA
    Mine is 37" high. I used an 8' base cabinet section the previous owners of my house left in the detached shed/garage. I changed the counter top and built the shelves and it was good to go.

znoweztnsq1gtcft17rr.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    This is my reloading bench I know some will sneer at the Lee but it works for me

The only ones who sneer are the reloading snobs, you know , the ones who drive a Lexus and look down their nose at all who don't.
    A lot of us use Lee products and a lot got started with the $9.99 Lee Classic Loading tool and their $9.99 single cavity mould. It was the only way for a poor working class high school kid was able to reload.
    I drive a Chevy , use Lee tools and don't look down on nobody.
    Gary

Top Bottom