Building a shooting resume'

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    I've been shooting for a while but never actually competed or focused on a discipline. Now,I like all kinds of shooting sports so I'm open to anything. Basically,I like to shoot but I would really love to get fluid on a discipline,if not all of them. However,money limits my passion and the frequency of such activities so I have to determine the least expensive shooting sport to get into. I've considered shotguning,pistol shooting (which also includes revolver) and long range center fire rifle.

There are many factors to consider such as equipment,accesories and ammo. I would love to to do as many disciplines as possible but for now I have to choose one. Preferrably,a sport that doesn't require spending thousands of dollars to get started in. Like I said,I like all types of shooting and all types of calibers including 22s and I would like to put some legitemacy in what I like to do.

dmiculek

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    Gramercy
    IDPA style matches are the least expensive matches to compete in. A handgun, holster and two extra magazines or speedloaders and your ready to play. Downfall to IDPA is we have only one IDPA style match here in S. La.
    USPSA production or single stack class is next, an appropriate semi auto handgun and 4-5 mags and your ready to go.
    The Steel matches in Thibodaux are also newbie friendly.

Reloading your own ammo is not an absolute, but once you get over the intial investment the benefits really start to add up. No matter what shooting sport you choose, you can start out with the most basic equipment and have a lot of fun.

Nick's range in Garyville holds some weekly pistol matches, no movement but still quite challenging and equipment required is minimal.

Last edited:

Jimbeaux82

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    Natchitoches, LA
    I have a saying - "If it goes bang or it goes twang, I like it".

Meaning I love to shoot almost everything. I shoot pistol (22 and hi power), assault rifle, long range rifle, air rifle, shotgun, muzzle loader and archery. Although I have never formally competed, I do stay very current with all of these weapons.

Never really thought so much about assembling a resume, but I am considering taking some of the formal classes in the near future.

#1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    Any of the matches I go to.Get a 9mm and some mags.Ill loan you a belt and mag pouches if you want you can use my reloading press to make your own burrets.Hell we can carpool to the matches..........Now whats your excuse......LOL

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    Do they have long range silhouette shooting for large caliber pistols? I'm interested!!!

Jackson, MS is the closest range offering "big bore" handgun silhouette. Their matches are held on the fourth Sunday of the month so the next match is this coming weekend. I plan to attend. The distances in a regular match are 50-100-150-200 meters with 10 shots at each distance. There used to be a silhouette range in Patterson but it closed years ago.

What kind of handgun are you planning to use?

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    Cujo

The cheapest shooting sport you can get involved with would be any of the 22 rimfire games. Ammo prices are very low as is equipment. The East Ascension Sportsman's league sponsors smallbore rifle silhouette matches monthly and Ascension Silhouette sponsors monthly handgun silhouette matches. Both are held at the Ascension Sheriffs Office range in Gonzales. There are classes and categories for just about any level of equipment or skill. If you are interested in face paced, high volume shooting, neither will suit you. These are both games with emphasis on accuracy as opposed to speed.

Ironman26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Patterson, La
    Thanks highstandard40!!!! Wont be able to make it, back to work on Sunday,but I will look into it!! I was thinking about a .44 magnum w/ 7.5 barrel or the .460xvr smith w/ 8" barrel.

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    Nicks practical pistol matches are held on Sunday mornings at 8:30 am, and Thurs. evenings at 6pm. 60 rounds all par timed. There is also a .22 rifle match on Sat. mornings at 7:30am everyone shoots the same Wolf ammo, we shoot at ARA targets. 75 rounds for score, 25 for sight in if needed.

dmiculek

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    Gramercy
    Thanks,Donnie. I heard about those Nick's matches. Where and when dose the IDPA match occur?

They run an outlaw IDPA match. Same rules mostly, not an offically registered club. They are held on the First Saturday (IIRC) of the month at the Tangipahoa Sheriff's range. Same bunch of folks that run the USPSA matches there. Good Folks and a good time.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jbruning
    Top Bottom