Bullet proof vest question?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • #1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    I have seen someone selling ar500 steel plates for use in a plate carryer like the ones used for the ceramic plates.My question is what happerns to the projectile?On the ar500 plates that I have shot it splatters out directly sideways.What happens to your arms,chin and any other parts that may be in the danger zone?

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    I have seen someone selling ar500 steel plates for use in a plate carryer like the ones used for the ceramic plates.My question is what happerns to the projectile?On the ar500 plates that I have shot it splatters out directly sideways.What happens to your arms,chin and any other parts that may be in the danger zone?

They get cut to ****.

Watch later in the video after he puts the plate in a cardboard box then shoots it.

And then his splatter mitigation device.

Also the company that advertises on slickguns offers a very thick coating of LINE-X and claim that makes a difference.

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA

They get hit. :)

When I was looking at them most of the companies selling AR500 plates suggest covering them in kevlar to "help reduce" the splash and fragmentation. The addition of the kevlar puts the price right back in line with proper ceramic plates, and there's still a chance of secondary damage? Yeah no thanks.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville

When I was looking at them most of the companies selling AR500 plates suggest covering them in kevlar to "help reduce" the splash and fragmentation. The addition of the kevlar puts the price right back in line with proper ceramic plates, and there's still a chance of secondary damage? Yeah no thanks.

The upside is the Steel will take many more hits before failing, but if that actually becomes an issue you probably need to move out of Somalia.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    Question answered. It's better than taking a rifle round to the chest, but you Will be pulling bullet frag out of your face/arms. If you're lucky. The round could ricochet into your extremities. Steel rifle plates are a no go in my opinion.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly

This.

It DOES have the advantages of not worrying about it in storage... such as the trunk of your car... or cracking...

"Stand Alone" plates are advertised as such.

dixiejarhead

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    NOLA/Northshore!
    To prevent spalling, you need to coat the plates or sandwich them between Kevlar. Also the carrier itself will help contain some of the spalling. A cut to the arm or chin is much better than a penetrating trauma wound to the chest... Law of averages. Like Nomad stated, the longevity of the plates versus the ceramics is the advantage. Getting shot sucks, let's face it. Dying sucks worse than just getting shot...

Top Bottom