"busted" for Open Carry at work

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    It would seem like a bad idea. If you are going to open carry, just do it. Be confident in carrying it, and dress nicely (no ratty jeans, holes in t-shirts etc). I used to carry before I was 21...Jeans, tucked in shirt...that was my normal style of dress though.

Be confident, and nobody will question it. You don't look like you are under 21, so I wouldn't worry about being questioned on that.

Great advice! The best point, be confident...have to act/feel/present yourself like you belong there. Don't be afraid of talking to people. [example: I was in JC Penny's, suit shopping, OCing and I couldn't decide on what tie I wanted...so I asked the super-mom that was shopping near me. She saw me carrying, didn't seem to mind helping me out...asked me what I did for work, told her I was a librarian, it kind of threw her for a loop. :) She seemed comfortable and we talked/shopped for a good 5-10mins. I continued to shop, and then I asked 2 more ladies their opinions on outfit combos. I dont know if they saw me carrying. I would have talked to them regardless of my carrying, its in my nature...just be courteous and responsible when you OC. I talk to strangers all the time, have since I was a baby...its fun lol.]

I dress like that now because of work, makes it easy to dress like that normally. I do wear a t-shirt, tucked in, while I carry on occasion but very rarely.

Question Hypothetically, say I wanted to OC into a place of buisiness that doesn't have a "no weapons policy" and while I was OCing I was wearing a black shirt with the word "SECURITY" in white letters, and jeans.

I'm sorry, I misread that...thought he said that they -HAD- a no weapons policy.
    Security shirt is probably not a good idea in terms of simple tact. Follow the above advice.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    I OC'd in Gonzales and Ascension Parish before I started working for the SO in Ascension...never had any problem. Since GPD got sued for wrongful arrest/imprisonment of a guy who was OC'ing at Tanger, all the cops out here know that law.
    What part of the parish are you normally in? Do you know John & Jeff G? If so, tell 'em Jeremy Jouette said Hi. They should remember me.

tunatuk

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ascension Parish
    What part of the parish are you normally in? Do you know John & Jeff G? If so, tell 'em Jeremy Jouette said Hi. They should remember me.

Yeah I know them. Jeff is my Sgt. when I head back to D-ville next month (I'm still in FTO). I was supposed to ride with John this month but he is a Sgt over in D-ville now too. My FTO lives across the street from John.

I'll relay the message next time I see one or the other.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    So I was informed today by Mall of Louisiana security that there is a 'no weapons' policy. I asked if I could see that policy on the books, was told no that it was not a written policy, I asked if there was a facilities manager present and they said no. One of the security officers told me that GGP, http://www.ggp.com/Default.aspx has made a blanket policy that does not allow weapons on their premises at all unless they are carried by on-duty officers.

I've carried at the MoL no less than 10-20ish times, this was the first time anyone has ever questioned me.

The shooting in Omaha took place at a GGP owned mall, and they own about 10 malls in Louisiana.

I plan on writing the company and asking them to change their policy, and I would encourage you all to do the same.

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    Not happening. A huge portion of their tenants are customers of mine, so I have had to deal with them on numerous occasions. They don't give a damn about their tenants, much less you or your safety. The only thing they care about is their own liability, and their idiot lawyers have told them that they are better in that respect by having a no weapons policy. I am not saying don't write, I am just saying that they are a worthless company that is in no way responsible to those whom they serve.

Narco

0-60 in 5.11
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    New Orleans
    So I was informed today by Mall of Louisiana security that there is a 'no weapons' policy. I asked if I could see that policy on the books, was told no that it was not a written policy, I asked if there was a facilities manager present and they said no. One of the security officers told me that GGP, http://www.ggp.com/Default.aspx has made a blanket policy that does not allow weapons on their premises at all unless they are carried by on-duty officers.

I've carried at the MoL no less than 10-20ish times, this was the first time anyone has ever questioned me.

The shooting in Omaha took place at a GGP owned mall, and they own about 10 malls in Louisiana.

I plan on writing the company and asking them to change their policy, and I would encourage you all to do the same.

If I am not mistaken, IT has to BE POSTED in PLAIN PUBLIC VIEW at all entrances that Concealed Weapons are not Allowed.

I went shopping recently for christmas at dillards and at lee micheals both at MOL. @ Dillards while checking out @ the coach section a EBRSO deputy was standing at the counter. I kept the large amount of cash I was carrying in my belly band holster that my G27 was also resting in. I didn't show my weapon but I rasied the front of my shirt to grab some cash, and he knew exactly what the contraption was. After my purchase he asked it it was comfortable, since he wanted on for concealed carry while shopping. I dont regularly shop at the MOL but with all the shooting at various malls, and last year they had a shooting (DV related) outside macey's.

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    If I am not mistaken, IT has to BE POSTED in PLAIN PUBLIC VIEW at all entrances that Concealed Weapons are not Allowed.

I went shopping recently for christmas at dillards and at lee micheals both at MOL. @ Dillards while checking out @ the coach section a EBRSO deputy was standing at the counter. I kept the large amount of cash I was carrying in my belly band holster that my G27 was also resting in. I didn't show my weapon but I rasied the front of my shirt to grab some cash, and he knew exactly what the contraption was. After my purchase he asked it it was comfortable, since he wanted on for concealed carry while shopping. I dont regularly shop at the MOL but with all the shooting at various malls, and last year they had a shooting (DV related) outside macey's.

Yes and no. The law is not specific about it (LA Carry is trying to get that changed). You could argue (and I plan to) that, since there was no sign in the entrance you came in through, that you cannot be held responsible for knowing that it was a prohibited establishment. However, an activist DA/ignorant jury composition might feel that you had an obligation to go through a main entrance and look for a sign (if the people judging you are anti-gun types). Either way, you could be in for some $$$ for the fight.

The CHP statute just says that a business may prohibit carry, it does not proscribe the method. That vagueness is more likely, IMO, to work against us that for us.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Narco, I raised that question to the security guard and he said he knows that its not stated and it doesn't have to be as long as the person carrying is informed of the rule by security/management. They made no threats to call police or to press charges on me, they simply asked me not to carry in the MOL & cited the rule about it.

The Security officers were very nice, they definitely weren't being jerks. I kept raising questions and they simply explained the stance of the business. It was very civil and we were both polite, I assured them that I wasn't trying to be disrespectful(the woman thought I was being disrespectful, but she remained polite and I assured her that I simply wanted to talk to managers and supervisors and that I meant no disrespect.) but I wanted to be informed, and I was. I put my sidearm in my car(not a CCW holder, that is changing now), and did my shopping.

I wrote GGP and asked them if they respect state laws or make blanket rules. I closed the letter with hopes that they respect state laws and give people the legal right to protect themselves so that situations like the Omaha shooting would not occur.

We'll see if they write back.

I think it would be helpful if we knew of all -violent acts-(not just shootings) that have happened GGP properties.

Does anyone know how we could find that information?

I'm thinking that if there have been a number of violent acts by criminals on citizens in open carry states a civil suit against GGP may yield some results. If its even possible to file something like that for establishment rules & regs...

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    popcorn100000mk4.jpg

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    Narco, I raised that question to the security guard and he said he knows that its not stated and it doesn't have to be as long as the person carrying is informed of the rule by security/management. They made no threats to call police or to press charges on me, they simply asked me not to carry in the MOL & cited the rule about it.

The Security officers were very nice, they definitely weren't being jerks. I kept raising questions and they simply explained the stance of the business. It was very civil and we were both polite, I assured them that I wasn't trying to be disrespectful(the woman thought I was being disrespectful, but she remained polite and I assured her that I simply wanted to talk to managers and supervisors and that I meant no disrespect.) but I wanted to be informed, and I was. I put my sidearm in my car(not a CCW holder, that is changing now), and did my shopping.

I wrote GGP and asked them if they respect state laws or make blanket rules. I closed the letter with hopes that they respect state laws and give people the legal right to protect themselves so that situations like the Omaha shooting would not occur.

We'll see if they write back.

I think it would be helpful if we knew of all -violent acts-(not just shootings) that have happened GGP properties.

Does anyone know how we could find that information?

I'm thinking that if there have been a number of violent acts by criminals on citizens in open carry states a civil suit against GGP may yield some results. If its even possible to file something like that for establishment rules & regs...

Sounds like you ran into an unusually informed guard. What you were told is correct on all counts.

While we are talking about it, I would like to see the law changed so that it states that landlords cannot restrict weapons on their tenants' properties. If we got this passed [ http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1051], it could outline the fact that commercial properties are covered by this, as well. If that happened, GGP could go pound sand, because it would be up to their tenants to post signs (and few would, of course).

chadwickMS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2007
    Picayune, MS, USA
    Sounds like you ran into an unusually informed guard. What you were told is correct on all counts.

While we are talking about it, I would like to see the law changed so that it states that landlords cannot restrict weapons on their tenants' properties. If we got this passed [ http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1051], it could outline the fact that commercial properties are covered by this, as well. If that happened, GGP could go pound sand, because it would be up to their tenants to post signs (and few would, of course).

LC, that's the lawn in Minnesota (that landlords cannot post on tenant-occupied property) and seeeeems to be working, from what I read on www.twincitiescarry.com/forum.

Is that a great idea? YES!!!! :D Of course, wouldn't we all rather that no-one be allowed to post? :D

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    I know, my family lives in MN, so I have read up on all their gun laws. They have several that are much better than ours, and several that are much worse.

I believe someone should be able to post property that they own- that is their right, to prohibit whatever they want. I do do believe, though, that no one should be able to deny your civil rights in a place that you own/have control of (like rental properties/your own car, etc.)

While I would prefer to carry everywhere, I believe that it is the right of others to not have people carrying, if they so prefer, as long as they have the proper ability to control the situation.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    MiyaMarukutsune
    Top Bottom