"busted" for Open Carry at work

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tunatuk

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ascension Parish
    You can change my scenario to fit any scenario. Bank Robbery just came to mind because I had a false hold up alarm that I had to respond to the other day.

I open carry every day I work...part of the job. I also carry concealed every day I work...part of the job :-P. Off-duty, I have to carry concealed if I carry at all...it is in department policy that it has to be concealed.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    The -only- thing that I fear when I OC is a LEO that does not know the law, or doesn't care about my rights(I dont OC in Gonzales because of their policy, I dont want to be tazed or shot, or harassed for that matter). So far, so good...I have OC'd in front of several LEO's in all of those places that I mentioned OCing and they have been completely respectful, rarely even paying attention to me.

When I have my CCW I will still OC...and actually OC more than ever.

tunatuk

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ascension Parish
    I OC'd in Gonzales and Ascension Parish before I started working for the SO in Ascension...never had any problem. Since GPD got sued for wrongful arrest/imprisonment of a guy who was OC'ing at Tanger, all the cops out here know that law.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Since Katrina the crime situation at Tanger has increased dramatically from what I've been hearing. Purse snatching, car thefts, shop lifting, pick pockets, etc. are all up. I guess the local cops are nervous. Someone OC'ing there wouldn't make them any happier. They're probably scared one of us is going to blow some kid away for stealing a pair of shoes or someone's wallet (whether that would be justified is another story...). Of course the last time I was there the other 'customers' had me wishing I had a M4 slung instead of just a 9mm compact... I haven't been back there since.
    I was told when I took my CCW class that it wasn't illegal to open carry, but you might be arrested for 'disturbing the peace' if someone complained.
    I carry concealed at work(insurance agent). The manager and owner know and encourage me to carry, but the rest of the staff would freak if they knew. I've got a P3AT so that's not an issue. If I have to inspect a home in a bad neighborhood the 1911 comes with me instead.
    Open carry might encourage stores to post signs banning CCW even. Of course Blockbuster did that early on and the outcry was loud enough for them to remove the signs. Maybe that was a good thing?
    LC, your open carrying probably hasn't been a big deal. You're clean cut looking and are confident you won't get into trouble doing it. That shows through. LEO assumes you're allowed to OC so they don't mess w/ you. My little cousin is an assistant DA for Caddo. I'll have to ask him about OC up there... if you do get in trouble let me know and I'll put you with him. He just bought his 4th AK...
    Dog, being underage complicates things. You can't get a CCW. Most local LEO are going to assume you're up to no good if you OC. My advice, find a 21 year old girlfriend, get her to get a CCW, and make her carry yours for you...

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Oh ok, so they have backed off of the 'We dont care what the law is, we wont have people carrying firearms in our city' comment?

That is good, very good.

The guy they arrested is a huge OC advocate.

IonicDOG

Hacker
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    Houma, LA
    Dog, being underage complicates things. You can't get a CCW. Most local LEO are going to assume you're up to no good if you OC. My advice, find a 21 year old girlfriend, get her to get a CCW, and make her carry yours for you...

I know that being under the age of 21 will complicate things if I was asked for my ID and I was OCing. That being said I look older than I really am and I don't dress like the local thugs around here when I go out it's always in a polo shirt, jeans, black dress shoes, and a cap, and when i'm at work i'm in a uniform. So I just wanted to get the feel for the OC scene before I just jumped into the fire, crime has drastically increased in my area since katrina, just last week they busted a crack dealer at his house, got a boatload of drugs and guns, and thats just a block from where I live. With the events that have taken place this week in Nebraska, i'll take my chances OCing around here, if local LEO's do give me a hard time whats the worse that could happen, harassment and maybe taken downtown, if thats the case i'll fight back with legal recourse. I'd rather be hassled than be dead, thats how I feel about it.

Last edited:

penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    king_rodney.jpg

Can't we all just get along...

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=3932080&page=1

King, 42, was hit in the face, arms, back and torso by birdshot fired from a shotgun. He was shot "possibly two or three times from a distance," then bicycled about 1½ miles back to his home in neighboring Rialto and called local police shortly after 11:30 p.m. Wednesday, Rialto police Sgt. Craig Crispin told The Associated Press.

IonicDOG

Hacker
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    Houma, LA
    Just throwing this out there

Question Hypothetically, say I wanted to OC into a place of buisiness that doesn't have a "no weapons policy" and while I was OCing I was wearing a black shirt with the word "SECURITY" in white letters, and jeans. Would I warrent more attention to myself or would maybe put other people at ease? Also, while wearing said shirt and was confronted by LEO could I be cited with an impersonating a police officer charge? This is a hypothetical question.

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    I would say that- whether or not you could be charged (I have not read the law on the subject)- it seems like a bad idea. If you were confronted and questioned, you would come off as being less than truthful, which might compromise your footing in the situation.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Question Hypothetically, say I wanted to OC into a place of buisiness that doesn't have a "no weapons policy" and while I was OCing I was wearing a black shirt with the word "SECURITY" in white letters, and jeans. Would I warrent more attention to myself or would maybe put other people at ease? Also, while wearing said shirt and was confronted by LEO could I be cited with an impersonating a police officer charge? This is a hypothetical question.

You would still be breaking a firearm law...

In that situation it would be best to not carry at all, or to conceal and risk being caught.

This is not legal advice, this is just an opinion. I do not advocate breaking federal or local gun laws, being caught is only bad for our community.

tunatuk

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ascension Parish
    You would not be breaking a law...other than trespassing if they ask you to leave and you stay. I wouldn't recommend you do that though. You wouldn't be impersonating an officer, since "security" personell, cannot arrest someone, unless it is an off-duty officer working a detail.

It would seem like a bad idea. If you are going to open carry, just do it. Be confident in carrying it, and dress nicely (no ratty jeans, holes in t-shirts etc). I used to carry before I was 21...Jeans, tucked in shirt...that was my normal style of dress though.

Be confident, and nobody will question it. You don't look like you are under 21, so I wouldn't worry about being questioned on that.

IonicDOG

Hacker
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    Houma, LA
    Yea like I said i have no intention of doing this it was just one of those things that crossed my mind, just like I wonder if i'm the only one who carries a handgun to the bathroom when they are showering. :D

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I hope you have something sharp in there with you to open that bag! It would be a shame to find you died buck naked trying to gnaw through a plastic bag...

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    MiyaMarukutsune
    Top Bottom