ButcherBox Promo (click for details)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Hi y'all!

My wife and I have been purchasing meat from ButcherBox for about a year now and have been very satisfied with the meat and their customer service. They are running a promo right now where current subscribers can refer friends where we each get $50 off an order (you get $50 and I get $50).

Click here for the referral/affiliate link to get the deal, or paste the below into your browser:

Here is my most recent box that was delivered yesterday:
    1699469848232.png

A few notable points that they don't make very clear on their website:
    1) You aren't locked in and can cancel the subscription at any time.
    2) You can move when you want boxes delivered. We travel a good bit, so I am constantly changing when the next box delivers.
    3) They run "member deals" all the time (and send you a ton of emails about them - I recommend making a filter where they don't hit your inbox as they get annoying) - you definitely should check them as sometimes they're really good.

All in all, the meat is fairly reasonably priced, especially for the quality. I'm a fan that almost everything you get from them is either wild caught, organic, or fed healthy ingredients. Our most ordered item is probably the ground bison, which goes well in chili.

Happy to answer any questions!

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Here's a review where they talk about the pros and cons. They also mention various prices. I'm sure there are other reviews out there. This is just the first one I saw when I put "ButcherBox cost" into google.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Some of those websites example prices aren’t bad, I estimate Austin’s box to cost $175 at my local grocery store probably $200-$225 if you chose grass fed / organic options.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Would you share how much the box you posted cost?

Some of those websites example prices aren’t bad, I estimate Austin’s box to cost $175 at my local grocery store probably $200-$225 if you chose grass fed / organic options.
    $306, shipped.

I've priced it out repeatedly at my local stores and they usually come in higher than BB, depending on what I've got in the shipment. Also included and not pictured in the $306 were two 10oz ribeyes and a pack of Italian sausage.

Maybe with sales at a local store you could get the contents a hair cheaper, but a big benefit to me is the convenience on having a regular resupply of different meats. We add things to the box that we wouldn't normally snag at a store (cod, scallops, bison, etc) regularly which forces us to eat different healthy things.

Finally, the grassfed/grass finished and organic options are pretty limited at the majority of my local stores. This just makes it easy.

Oh, and one other perk: A lot of the meat comes frozen in individual vacuum sealed bags that I can just throw directly into a sous vide straight from the freezer, with minimal effort - so I can be effectively lazy lol!

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    $306, shipped.

I've priced it out repeatedly at my local stores and they usually come in higher than BB, depending on what I've got in the shipment. Also included and not pictured in the $306 were two 10oz ribeyes and a pack of Italian sausage.

Maybe with sales at a local store you could get the contents a hair cheaper, but a big benefit to me is the convenience on having a regular resupply of different meats. We add things to the box that we wouldn't normally snag at a store (cod, scallops, bison, etc) regularly which forces us to eat different healthy things.

Finally, the grassfed/grass finished and organic options are pretty limited at the majority of my local stores. This just makes it easy.

Oh, and one other perk: A lot of the meat comes frozen in individual vacuum sealed bags that I can just throw directly into a sous vide straight from the freezer, with minimal effort - so I can be effectively lazy lol!

Added benefit is grass-fed beef is know to cause less inflammation, so for those with arthritis or IBS/IBD it can interfere with it less.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    You be eating good this month!

Anyone buy like half a beef locally?
    I have looked into it, but then I'd literally be eating beef everyday and my wife wouldn't like that LOL.

This is like the happy sweet spot of "Austin gets to get 8 ribeyes delivered each month" and "wifey is happy because scallops also get delivered"

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    You be eating good this month!

Anyone buy like half a beef locally?
    Yes, there is a rancher I know a few miles up the road from me. My brother, 2 cousins, and myself split 3 steers a year. All in cost after paying the rancher and slaughter house, having the meat cut, packed and frozen we come in right around $6.50lb. We have slots at the slaughter house setup well in advance.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Yes, there is a rancher I know a few miles up the road from me. My brother, 2 cousins, and myself split 3 steers a year. All in cost after paying the rancher and slaughter house, having the meat cut, packed and frozen we come in right around $6.50lb. We have slots at the slaughter house setup well in advance.
    How many deep freezers did that fill up?!

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    We will typically get 2 in the spring at the same time and 1 in the fall. It’s all split 4 ways between my brother, 2 cousins and myself so it not too much at one time. But yeah deep freezers for the win, a must have for a half a steer and a couple whitetail.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Whole30 approved breakfast sausage today!

Attachments

• 20231112_114755.jpg
      20231112_114755.jpg
      371.5 KB · Views: 20
    • 20231112_114337.jpg
      20231112_114337.jpg
      705.9 KB · Views: 23
    • 20231112_114319.jpg
      20231112_114319.jpg
      656.8 KB · Views: 24

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Bison Chili!

Attachments

• 20231112_191957.jpg
      20231112_191957.jpg
      610.6 KB · Views: 23
    • 20231112_154411.jpg
      20231112_154411.jpg
      517.7 KB · Views: 20

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Added benefit is grass-fed beef is know to cause less inflammation, so for those with arthritis or IBS/IBD it can interfere with it less.
    I was getting a,side of beef and a whole hog cut and wrapped at Verdun farms in Raceland on hwy 1.
    One of my good friends had a home and shop close by. So was convienaint since I was there in Raceland a lot.
    Down side was had to repackage some in food saver bags, as was butcher paper wrapped.

Last edited:

vr1967

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Liberty, MS
    I bought a side this year from a local farmer and was all in for $4.10lb, hopefully it will still be less if I raise them, but I need to get my new fences up. Overall it is much cheaper than buying daily/weekly, plus you know what you are getting.

Can’t beat the taste of fresh beef

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I bought a side this year from a local farmer and was all in for $4.10lb, hopefully it will still be less if I raise them, but I need to get my new fences up. Overall it is much cheaper than buying daily/weekly, plus you know what you are getting.

Can’t beat the taste of fresh beef
    Wow, now that's a deal! Did it come pre-cut and individually vacuum sealed or did you have to break everything down yourself?

Top Bottom