Buying a firearm with a chp

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    So if all that needs to be done is to fill out the 4473 and it's not called in then wouldn't that mean the govt has no idea that you just purchased a firearm? Only way would be if they went to the gun shop and audited them. Right?

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I think you have a misunderstanding of the NICS check process.

Whether you wait for a NICS check or use a CHP in lieu of one, you still fill out the 4473, which is a transfer record of your new acquisition.

flyboy

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 18, 2021
    Crowley, Louisiana
    I think you have a misunderstanding of the NICS check process.

Whether you wait for a NICS check or use a CHP in lieu of one, you still fill out the 4473, which is a transfer record of your new acquisition.
    ^^^^^^^
    This! You still have to fill out a 4473 even though it is not called in to get approved.

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    My first sentence says "So if all that needs to be done is to fill out the 4473 and it's not called in....."

So yes I know it has to be filled out but it's not called in. Reason I ask is I've seen the comments here about when it's called in the fear is that the atf keeps its own record of that. Which I'm not saying they do or don't.

Fordfella

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2018
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    My first sentence says "So if all that needs to be done is to fill out the 4473 and it's not called in....."

So yes I know it has to be filled out but it's not called in. Reason I ask is I've seen the comments here about when it's called in the fear is that the atf keeps its own record of that. Which I'm not saying they do or don't.

It's not called in, nor is it done online with the FBI NICS check. Your FFL will enter your permit number into the State Police website here:
    https://chp-web.dps.louisiana.gov/FrontUser/RequestStatus.aspx

If your permit comes back as valid then you avoid the FBI background check.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

The transaction form (4473) is the record. It’s a legal document proving transfer of the firearm from the FFL to the individual. The NICS check is not a record of transfer.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA

You are correct, when purchasing with a CHP no NICS check is performed, the only record is the locally stored 4473. That said, a NICS check does not inform the FBI what firearm you are purchasing anyway. It’s just a background check to verify eligibility to purchase a firearm, it is not a record of the firearm transaction. That information is again only on the 4473.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Peabrain42

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2021
    Boonies
    It all sounds peaches and creamy.Only one problem.They already have your
    number ,per say,you have a permit on record.The Gov,atf,,etc already know
    your a valid gun owner.AT the end of so called times,The first people to be
    sought after will be the ones with permits ,suppressors,etc.Do you know how
    lazy the atf and the rest of the detective force is?,i use that term lightly, as
    well.

So yea,good in the beg,bad in the end.

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    You are correct, when purchasing with a CHP no NICS check is performed, the only record is the locally stored 4473. That said, a NICS check does not inform the FBI what firearm you are purchasing anyway. It’s just a background check to verify eligibility to purchase a firearm, it is not a record of the firearm transaction. That information is again only on the 4473.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That's what I was getting at. For the ones who THINK the fbi /atf are keeping records of your firearm purchases, which ive read a few make that comment, I would think having a chp would be a good thing.

number ,per say,you have a permit on record.The Gov,atf,,etc already know
    lazy the atf and the rest of the detective force is?,i use that term lightly, as
    well.

My family is from Palestine and I am Muslim.... I eat lunch every Friday with my FBI Agent. I'm about to walk outside now, it's his snack time. Not really worried about the govt tracking me.

My brother once made the comment about how fast his background check comes back.. I was like well duh.. They already know us.

Peabrain42

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2021
    Boonies
    My family is from Palestine and I am Muslim.... I eat lunch every Friday with my FBI Agent. I'm about to walk outside now, it's his snack time. Not really worried about the govt tracking me.

My brother once made the comment about how fast his background check comes back.. I was like well duh.. They already know us.[/QUOTE]

First part is funny,made me choke on my beer man.But yea,u get it.

4-14

treat never keep keep
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    WBR
    number ,per say,you have a permit on record.The Gov,atf,,etc already ASSUMES
    well.

*fixed

i know people who have permits but not guns…yet.

oneshy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2014
    Houma La
    A funny thing happened on the way to the NICS background check. According to the LGS, when I was delayed, it could have been because I am a jr. or because I have a TWIC card. A TWIC card which required an FBI background check that cost $104 for my first card.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    A funny thing happened on the way to the NICS background check. According to the LGS, when I was delayed, it could have been because I am a jr. or because I have a TWIC card. A TWIC card which required an FBI background check that cost $104 for my first card.

More Credentials can "possibly" cause a delay.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom