Caliber Choice for out to 600 yards

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doug426

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 19, 2013
    Slidell
    I always hunt with a 3006, but I am looking to reach out farther for deer on our pipeline and cutover. Considering the 270WSM. What's your favorite?

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    I always hunt with a 3006, but I am looking to reach out farther for deer on our pipeline and cutover. Considering the 270WSM. What's your favorite?

HINT - Caliber has little to do with making a good shot.

A .30-06 is more than enough for a 600yd shot on a deer. A 180gr Berger VLD hunting or a 180gr TSX will have plenty of energy at those distances out of the old '06. Learn to reload, to select the proper bullet for your application, and then learn how to deliver it with ethical accuracy at your intended distance. I'm not the worst shot at those distances but even I can't hold steady enough for a sure kill past 450yds unless the position is solid (most likely prone).

I use a .308win by the way.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    I agree with Ritten. My long range gun is a 7mm08. I have guns that shoot "flatter" than it does, but none are as accurate. If you know the distance to the target, and you know the capabilities of your rifle, the only thing else that is needed is the ability to place the shot. Remember, "bullet energy is deadly, but accuracy is fatal".

Top Bottom